64 with drum brakes rim options...

This area is for those who need help modernizing their Lincoln for purposes other than strict restoration. Such questions can be about adding an electric fuel pump, adding fuel injection, boosting horsepower or gas mileage, or tightening or lowering the suspension. Body customizing and chopping can also be here (although this practice is not encouraged by the LCOC).

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

sigsterrr
Frequent Contributor

64 with drum brakes rim options...

Post by sigsterrr »

So everything I see on here says 5x5 bolt pattern and I measured mine and it is 5x4.75. I understand in 65 it went to 5x5 and most have upgraded to discs. I am only looking to drive the car for a couple months and sell it. I wont get the return from swapping to discs so there really isnt a reason for me to. I can repaint the rims black and get some spider center caps and new tires or pick up a cheap set on craigslist if I know the size. What about the hub center? Pics would be awesome but info is great too. Thanks in advance.

Siggy.
Fixing something on an old Lincoln is like sex with a hot woman - one time will never get the job done right.

64 Continental Sedan Black/Black

And how I buy my parts - http://www.paintngoinc.com
jleonard
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 64 with drum brakes rim options...

Post by jleonard »

Siggy,

Your '64 has 5x5. If you got 4.75 you probably measured from one lug bolt to another - this isn't the right way to measure. The bolt circle is the theoretical circle that passes through all of the bolts - it's actually a bit larger than the distance from one lug bolt to another.

- John
Designer & manufacturer of the GearHead Engineering disc brake conversion kit for 1961-1964 Lincolns.
1964 Lincoln Continental Convertible
1965 Ford Galaxie
1967 MGB
2007 Mazda5 (kid hauler with zoom zoom!)
Jcarnes
Frequent Contributor

Post by Jcarnes »

John,
You are 100 % correct, whenever measuring with a tape measure a person always has to add 1/4 inch to get correct bolt pattern.
Jeff
1968 lincoln continental
nunzo
Frequent Contributor

Post by nunzo »

'64 LCC in the works
Mobsteel
Air Lift Company
Fifteen
Diamondback
autostick
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by autostick »

The sixties Lincoln is 5x5 bolt pattern. Here is how to measure:
Measure from the center on one hole to the BACK of the third hole.This is the easiest way to estimate a 5-lug bolt circle.

You can also measure from the CENTER of one hole to the CENTER of the third hole using 1.05 multiplier to find your bolt circle.
Solid
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Solid »

On Tire Rack's website, tell them you have a 1988 Chevy C1500 1/2 ton pickup, and it will show you correct wheels, at least at 15". You'll have to pay attention to offsets if you start going larger.
sigsterrr
Frequent Contributor

Post by sigsterrr »

Thanks everyone. I guess I should have replied after the first reply letting everyone know I got the answer.
Fixing something on an old Lincoln is like sex with a hot woman - one time will never get the job done right.

64 Continental Sedan Black/Black

And how I buy my parts - http://www.paintngoinc.com
nunzo
Frequent Contributor

Post by nunzo »

autostick wrote:The sixties Lincoln is 5x5 bolt pattern. Here is how to measure:
Measure from the center on one hole to the BACK of the third hole.This is the easiest way to estimate a 5-lug bolt circle.

You can also measure from the CENTER of one hole to the CENTER of the third hole using 1.05 multiplier to find your bolt circle.

this is not an accurate way to measure a 5 lug wheel, maybe the hub, but not the wheel. there is no standard lug hole size.

might be more of an issue with metric sizes (i.e. 5x110 vs x112 vs x114.3)
'64 LCC in the works
Mobsteel
Air Lift Company
Fifteen
Diamondback
autostick
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by autostick »

nunzo wrote:
autostick wrote:Here is how to measure: Image
this is not an accurate way to measure a 5 lug wheel, maybe the hub, but not the wheel.
This is both easy and accurate way to measure a five lug wheel. Just google "five bolt pattern" as this is the recommended procedure. For example, here is the post from Tire Rack: Image
here is the diagram from Marsh Racing: Image If you measure your 5 x 5 lincoln you will see that it gets you the right result.
nunzo
Frequent Contributor

Post by nunzo »

the tire rack picture you posted is correct, and different from the other 2.

5" is 127mm. 5 lug wheels can range from 98mm to 135mm bolt circles, with 12mm-19mm lugs, with varying lug holes sizes in the wheel.

all i'm saying is that the "back of lug hole to centerline of lug hole" method isn't foolproof.
'64 LCC in the works
Mobsteel
Air Lift Company
Fifteen
Diamondback
autostick
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by autostick »

nunzo wrote:the tire rack picture you posted is correct, and different from the other 2.
No silly, they are the same measurement.
nunzo
Frequent Contributor

Post by nunzo »

might want to look at them again.

The tire rack pic shows the measurement of the true lug hole center bolt circle, whereas the other two show a bolt circle that starts at the centerline of one lug hole, yet also crosses the outer edge of the 2 bottom lugs. note the larger pic says 'estimate', which I will agree with.
'64 LCC in the works
Mobsteel
Air Lift Company
Fifteen
Diamondback
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

autostick wrote:
nunzo wrote:
autostick wrote:Here is how to measure: Image
this is not an accurate way to measure a 5 lug wheel, maybe the hub, but not the wheel.
This is both easy and accurate way to measure a five lug wheel. Just google "five bolt pattern" as this is the recommended procedure. For example, here is the post from Tire Rack: Image
here is the diagram from Marsh Racing: Image If you measure your 5 x 5 lincoln you will see that it gets you the right result.
I use the skip one lug for five lug wheels and always measure in MM. You can convert to inches easily and MM is a more precise measurement. Using the skip one lug measurement you have a real point to measure from.

The two photos show pretty much the same thing (look where the mesurement touches the studs/holes - relatively the same area) the back of a lug to the bolt circle perimeter - Just to do a reality check I measured three vehicles here in the shop and came up with the same dimension to the MM when measuring either way. I think maybe the bigger the bolt circle the larger the difference - so for an old Ford or a VW with wide five there would be a bigger difference...

I also have a set of wheel gauges - that makes things really easy.
Rob
nunzo
Frequent Contributor

Post by nunzo »

yeah i'm not trying to be a pain in the ass, but it really does make a difference. in another post i mentioned that i'm a mechanical engineer who designs wheels for a company. maybe i'm a bit too anal about this, but i've had customers take bad measurements and the wheels machined to those measurements not fit up.

to explain what i was saying before, comparing a wheel with a 5x5 pattern, that may have 14mm vs 19mm machined lug holes, there can be as much as a 3.5mm bolt circle difference, which won't bolt up to a 5x5 car. when you get into the more closely grouped bolt circles, you can run into major fitment issues.

'64 LCC in the works
Mobsteel
Air Lift Company
Fifteen
Diamondback

Return to “Updating, Modernizing, and Customizing”