POST YOUR WHEEL AND TIRE PICS.

This area is for those who need help modernizing their Lincoln for purposes other than strict restoration. Such questions can be about adding an electric fuel pump, adding fuel injection, boosting horsepower or gas mileage, or tightening or lowering the suspension. Body customizing and chopping can also be here (although this practice is not encouraged by the LCOC).

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: POST YOUR WHEEL AND TIRE PICS.

Post by bd94s10 »

Nice!
JimA
Dedicated Enthusiast

Fit on a '78 Continental Coupe?

Post by JimA »

I'm thinking about 275/ 60 15 tires on 8" wheels with 4" backspace on the rear of the '78 Continental Coupe. It appears they will fit but I'm hoping someone can confirm that before I buy.

Also, 255/60 15s on 7" wheels with 4" backspace on the front. Can anyone confirm that those will fit?

JIm
1978 Continental Coupe
521 Stroker -- SOLD :-(
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Fit on a '78 Continental Coupe?

Post by Suicidekid63 »

JimA wrote:I'm thinking about 275/ 60 15 tires on 8" wheels with 4" backspace on the rear of the '78 Continental Coupe. It appears they will fit but I'm hoping someone can confirm that before I buy.

Also, 255/60 15s on 7" wheels with 4" backspace on the front. Can anyone confirm that those will fit?

JIm
Jim,
I know the factory 1970's Mark deep dish wheels, I put on my 1963, were 15x6 with 4" backspace. So, I think the 4" BS on the wheels you're considering will be fine.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
JimA
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by JimA »

Steven,

Thanks for the response. If I understand everything I know about this, an 8" wide wheel with 4" backspace will put the outside of the rim 2" closer to the rear quarter than the original 6" wheel with 4" backspace. I THINK it will still clear but hope someone has tried it. In a 60 aspect ratio, I need to go to 275 width to get a little taller tire than the original 225/70 15 so its going to be tight.

JIm
1978 Continental Coupe
521 Stroker -- SOLD :-(
Newchapters
Frequent Contributor

Post by Newchapters »

The ride is little ruff with this low profile tire.
IMG_9572 (1).jpg
IMG_9926.jpg
1962 Lincoln bagged
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Going to revive this awesome thread with lots of good info. I saw a person asking questions about wheel/tires combo on Facebook.

On my '64 Lincoln Continental convertible I'll be running 17-inch Colorado Custom Lincoln replica wheels. I'll post tire info once I order from Diamondback Tires. I already have the wheels and if anyone ever orders from Michael at Colorado Custom he will ensure you get the right backspacing for your car... factoring in big brake kits, etc.

ImageB6BD35A3-C603-4AF8-88A8-43FBC4EFFDF8 by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

If anyone is in the market for billet Lincoln replica wheels check out https://coloradocustom.com

Rendering by @RenderedByThor on Instagram or click here https://www.facebook.com/renderedbythor/

Jason B aka The Lincoln Addict; checkout my 60 era Lincoln podcast here: https://lincolnaddict.podbean.com
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

I think my original wheels are 15 inch. I’m not seeing anybody move to 17. I like this better than the common aftermarket current choice of 20-22 inches and tiny sidewall tire profile. What was your thinking on this? And can’t you buy off the rack tire sizes? What tire size are you buying?
Robert DeFrang
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I have to agree with Robert there, even though I think I've already posted my view on the topic. The big concern for me, besides appearance, is load rating. I just cannot see those wagon-wheels with rubber bands on them carrying that much of a load...and Suicides are about as much of a load ordeal on any wheel as any vehicle you care to mention. I can just see those tires (and I use the word liberally) needing replacement at least twice as often as proper tires, unless the owner drives the car no more than twice a year and no farther than 5 to 10 miles in urban or suburban environments each time, and keeps the car suspended on braces the rest of the time. But, that's a personal opinion, nothing more.

Anyway, I've done some recent modding to Frankenstein's wheels; here are a couple of shots.

---Tony
Attachments
20200425_154042.jpg
20200425_154227.jpg
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
hissst

Post by hissst »

I have a general question:

Without upgrading suspension or anything, on my old dead shocks, and crazy lazy rolling 75' Continental, which is a nicer ride, factory spec (on it) or going to 18? or 20? or 22s? anyone tried them all?

I know on my daily driver, a dodge magnum, that my winter 17s are rolly poly in comparison to my summer 20s which are nice and tight feeling although a bit too feeling on hard bumps but generally much nicer feeling.

I am hoping to get 20s on it and make the ride nicer feeling, but maybe 22 would be better? I still want some tire give, and dont want to mod though. Or am I dreaming and 15 to 20 is already ridulous and would need to change my shocks and springs and what not.

Thanks in advance for any experience with this 8)
Vancouver Island Canada
My Car(s):
1975 Lincoln Continental Town Car 7.5 liter
Plus:
1978 Ford Thunderbird 6.4 liter
2019 Custom built (By Me) Skeletal Car with 1974 Ford Pinto Motor 2 liter
1988 Ford Diesel Cube 7.2? liter
2006 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3 liter
2005 Dodge Magnum 5.7 liter Hemi
mz35z
Occasional Visitor

Post by mz35z »

You all have some very nice wheels. I still have to remove the decades old brake pad dust from mine. That stuff is baked on or something.
Matt Zufelt. 78 Continental sedan with 460/c6
Wixomhead
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Wixomhead »

I've had the 70s (80s?) turbines on my Mark III for as long as I can remember. I think they look better than lots of other options.

I had to grind down the backs of the front calipers a good 16" at least to get them to clear.

Powder coated bright silver but you wouldn't know it from this filthy pic.
Attachments
Copy of 1971 Mark III BC 006 - Copy.jpg
Wixomhead
Mjkinga

Post by Mjkinga »

C191F7EA-6767-489E-80D7-47958011B2F0.jpeg
BBA1EB77-EF6C-442B-BC62-146460D668EE.jpeg

Return to “Updating, Modernizing, and Customizing”