Mr. Tedeschi's Mark II convertible?

Any Lincoln fact related question can be posted here. Questions such as how many Contintenal convertibles were produced in MY1965? How much was the Town Car option in 1969? What size of tire was standard on a 1953 Premiere? or Does the Mark II retractible prototype still exist?

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

continentalguy
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by continentalguy »

Hey Barry why does your Mark II not have the under the dash air conditioning unit anymore? Also by any chance do you know when the air intakes were deleted?
-Allan

'54 Lincoln Capri Sport Coupe, '56 Continental Mark II, '61 Lincoln Continental Convertible,
'62 Lincoln Continental Sedan, '70 Lincoln Mark III, '72 Lincoln Mark IV, '17 Lincoln MKC
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

No I don't know when they were deleted. It must be recorded somewhere.

My car was originally a coupe with no air, just like the Derham made Mark II convertible. There are pictures of it with an underdash unit on the Michiganlcoc.org web site from the original 1978 Dennis Adler article.

My car originally had a power hydraulic top. The brackets for the cylinders are still there. When the car was altered in 1969 to receive the SL-Mercedes like metal boot the top stack needed to me lowered significantly. The hydraulic system would no longer work so the pistons, pumps and valves were removed from the trunk. The holes that were left behind were interpreted as a trunk-mounted a/c unit, and that's what was installed when it was restored in '93. Actually, the installation is quite clever.

The chilled air was ducted overhead in a stock Mark II. In my car the cavity that's left when the top is up turns into a duct that blows cold air out onto your neck. Actually, I'm only assuming that that's what it would feel like 'cause I've never used it.

'56 Mark II convertible, '51 Royal Spartanette, '56 Chris Craft Continental
'68 Lincoln Continental Limo, '77 Town Car, '55 356 Porsche Continental cabrio,
'69 Mark III convertible,'88 BMW 750iL, '88 BMW 325iX, '97 BMW Z-3, '98 ML-320

My newest car is 15 years old!
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

Here's a picture of it sometime around 1969. It's already painted green but it still has a black interior.

The top picture shows the configuration of the power top. It got more "Continental" like in the transition to a manual top. The fabric flaps you see covering the top bows were replaced with the fiberglass covers the car is fitted with now.

Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Re: Mr. Tedeschi's Mark II convertible?

Post by Barry Wolk »

I'm reviving this thread because I had a half-dozen people come up to me at the Greenwich Concours and ask me if my car was ever maroon with a tan top. One guy said he saw it 50 years ago and another said he saw it as recently as 5 years ago.

Open to new leads.

Bob Hubbard
On Special Assignment

Post by Bob Hubbard »

Barry, with so many reporting having seen this convertible (including me), wonder why there is no record of it anywhere.
Sure would have liked to get a peak inside that barn at that Audubon society back there.
If memory serves me correctly, you said that mark II convertible was stored in a barn or shed on the Audubon property, and again, if memory is correct, that Audubon property is located in Canton, which is the next town over from Norwood.
Matter of fact, as a kid, out entire class had an outing at the site one day.
Bob.
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

Actually, I contacted a former member from Boston to ask about that car. He was very pleasant and freely gave his advice, as a dogged researcher, not as an attorney. Unfortunately, none of it panned out. It would take someone with access to their DMV database to run a search of serial numbers starting with C56, but access is limited, obviously for privacy reasons.

Bob Hubbard
On Special Assignment

Post by Bob Hubbard »

Barry, I put out a couple of feelers to see if we can get any info on the markII convertible.
I belong to the city data forum, and I posted in the Massachusetts, and auto forums to see if any one has any info about it, or it's whereabouts.
Bob.
Bob Hubbard
On Special Assignment

Post by Bob Hubbard »

Barry, have you seen this video before?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... eKCc1hSV-I
Bob.
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

I have. In fact, I had the privilege of flipping through a bound book of all of the design drawings from each team. The pictures were smaller that what they depicted of the displays so it was likely copies, but it was WCF's personal copy.