Stainless Steel Lincoln

Any Lincoln fact related question can be posted here. Questions such as how many Contintenal convertibles were produced in MY1965? How much was the Town Car option in 1969? What size of tire was standard on a 1953 Premiere? or Does the Mark II retractible prototype still exist?

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

norgale
Lincoln-ally Insane

Stainless Steel Lincoln

Post by norgale »

http://www.alleghenyludlum.com/pages/co ... sscars.asp
Dan Szwarc wrote:
Admin update May 2020: The Allegheny-Ludlum Link above is basically dead as it no longer goes to anything about the SS cars.

Please Jump to this post to see some real info about these cars.

There's another thread from 2008, but the pics in it are dead. Even my own Links. I will probably merge it with this one and fix what I can.
Pete McGill LCOC 023903M
2006 Dodge Pickup 2500 v-8 Magnum Hemi
1981 Lincoln Continental Mark 6

ON TIME IS WHEN I GET THERE.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Stainless Steel Lincoln

Post by Dan Szwarc »

It's a shame that in the 40 years since the last convertible (the 66 Lincoln, it is NOT a 67), with the exception of the DeLorean, there has been no progress towards making production stainless cars.
Slick Fan
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Slick Fan »

Those are pretty cool, huh? 8)
Someone posted some pics of the Lincoln recently...hmmm...

...ok, I found them. :grin:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25750&p=178188&hili ... ln#p178188
----------------------------------------
-Grant

1977 Glass Roof Town Car
fkhill
Lincoln Maniac

Post by fkhill »

You'd think that today with all of the stainless steel stuff for sale that it would be a big hit. I like where things are going with the new washers and dryers being painted in colors like cars. They should do that on all the appliances. You could really come up with a cool looking kitchen. 8)
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

You used to be able to get major appliances in a variety of colors in the fifties and sixties. I guess what's old is new again. Talk about cool kitchens, how 'bout this one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiACOLuY ... re=related
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
fkhill
Lincoln Maniac

Post by fkhill »

That was really cool Jim. That first kitchen is a riot! It even frosts that cake and puts the candles on for you!! I always wished I could have seen that Monsanto House but it was torn down some years back. The L.A. Conservancy should have stepped in and saved it but I don't know if their modernism committee had been formed when that happened. Thankfully they are more aware of all of that in L.A. today. Still I think too much history there gets torn down, especially from the 50's and 60's. Oh, I lived in Koreatown for about 8 years right next to the old Ambassador Hotel and Coconut Grove. I understand from my old neighbors that it is completly gone now. The building I lived in was a mid-century highrise that I'm sure in it's day was considered very modern. Donald Sterling got a hold of it and turned it into some fancy looking Las Vegas style thing on the inside and ruined the modern interior. It had Terrazzo floors, zig-zag roof with a rooftop pool, walnut paneled walls, two story lobby, a water fountain that ran from outside in the front to inside undeerneath the glass windows in the lobby, and it had big ufo style planters in the front. Very cool building. Originally had a cluster of George Nelson lamps in the lobby but they wound up in the trash and now has a crystal chandelier. All of the walnut paneling has been torn out too and boy was it beautiful! I miss that old apartment but as they say, "you can never go back." :smt009
Jed69conti
Frequent Contributor

Post by Jed69conti »

That stainless Lincoln convertible is my personal dream car. Imagine being able to drive a classic Lincoln year round without fear of rust. That's something that I can only dream about here in NY with the winter coming.
Jed
1969 Continental Sedan:
I love it, it hates me, not as much as it used to

1995 Cadillac Fleetwood (rwd):
boat ride/daily reliability

1980 Seville
Made and sold while the hostages were in the embassy
Electronics are having a "crisis of confidence"
gradyjacoway
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by gradyjacoway »

The 1966 stainless steel convertible was displayed at the 1983 National Continental car show in Columbus, Ohio. It was fair to good shape car at that time.

Grady
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

Anyone know who owns the stainless slabside that's in private hands? Love to get it in the Concours I'm involved with.
'56 Mark II convertible, '51 Royal Spartanette, '56 Chris Craft Continental
'68 Lincoln Continental Limo, '77 Town Car, '55 356 Porsche Continental cabrio,
'69 Mark III convertible,'88 BMW 750iL, '88 BMW 325iX, '97 BMW Z-3, '98 ML-320

My newest car is 15 years old!
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Barry Wolk wrote:Anyone know who owns the stainless slabside that's in private hands? Love to get it in the Concours I'm involved with.
It isn't. Allegheny owns 2 and the third is in the Crawford Museum.
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

Thanks for the lead. Museums have been pretty cooperative in bringing cars. We got the Stude Museum to bring the aluminum Chinese Studebaker last year.
'56 Mark II convertible, '51 Royal Spartanette, '56 Chris Craft Continental
'68 Lincoln Continental Limo, '77 Town Car, '55 356 Porsche Continental cabrio,
'69 Mark III convertible,'88 BMW 750iL, '88 BMW 325iX, '97 BMW Z-3, '98 ML-320

My newest car is 15 years old!
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Buy a stainless steel 66 convertible.

Post by Dan Szwarc »

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/05/a-col ... r-auction/

I’ve seen one of them in the Crawford Auto Museum in Cleveland.

It’s a 66, not a 67. It was “updated” to look like a 67 on the outside except the fender stars.
The interior is all 1966.
A Collection Of Rare Stainless Steel Cars Is Going Up For Auction

BY Michael Gauthier | May 20, 2020
If you’re looking for a trio of cars to match the stainless steel fridge in your garage, look no further as Worldwide Auctioneers is offering a collection of three stainless steel Fords.

Set to go under the hammer at the Auburn Auction in September, the collection includes a 1936 Ford Deluxe Sedan, a 1960 Ford Thunderbird and a 1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible.

The story of the cars begins in 1935 when Ford teamed up with Allegheny Ludlum Steel to promote stainless steel which was still a relatively new material. In order to do this, the companies decided to make six stainless steel 1936 Ford Deluxe Sedans to “showcase the extreme durability and aesthetic appeal of the new metal.”

The models were given to Allegheny Ludlum executives and each logged over 200,000 miles (321,869 km) by the time they were retired in 1946. Only four examples are known to survive today and this particular model was retained by Allegheny Ludlum.

Following the success of the original collaboration, Ford and Allegheny Ludlum teamed up again in the 1960’s. This partnership spawned two stainless steel 1960 Thunderbirds and three 1967 Lincoln Continental Convertibles.

Both Thunderbirds have over 100,000 miles (160,934 km) on them and still use their original exhaust 60 years later. The Continentals, on the other hand, were pretty much stock other than the stainless steel bodies.

According to auctioneer John Kruse, the trio are “extraordinary artifacts from a dynamic era of innovation for the both the steel and automotive industries in America. After lifetime custodianship Allegheny Ludlum believe that they deserve to take their place in a significant collection or museum where they can be more widely appreciated in a collector car environment for generations to come, and we are honored to have been entrusted with their sale.”

There’s no auction estimate, but the trio are being offered without reserve and will undoubtedly attract a lot of attention.
Attachments
D7F2AC2C-89CF-4BA8-B2C0-80745A64C96F.jpeg
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Buy a stainless steel 66 convertible.

Post by defrang »

They look spectacular Dan. What do think they will bring at auction/sale?
Robert DeFrang
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Buy a stainless steel 66 convertible.

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Not a clue. Some rich collector will buy them up, for sure.