Stainless Steel Lincoln

Any Lincoln fact related question can be posted here. Questions such as how many Contintenal convertibles were produced in MY1965? How much was the Town Car option in 1969? What size of tire was standard on a 1953 Premiere? or Does the Mark II retractible prototype still exist?

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Stainless Steel Lincoln

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Lol. I didn’t notice the mirror!

The third car I think is in the Crawford museum.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

LithiumCobalt wrote:According to this article, it sounds as if the 66 convertible may not be part of the auction. Only vague references...

https://triblive.com/local/valley-news- ... tion-them/
They are referring to the second convertible.

Three cars still got shipped for auction.
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

Dan Szwarc wrote:
LithiumCobalt wrote:According to this article, it sounds as if the 66 convertible may not be part of the auction. Only vague references...

https://triblive.com/local/valley-news- ... tion-them/
They are referring to the second convertible.

Three cars still got shipped for auction.
It says "The cars — a 1936 Ford sedan, a 1960 Ford Thunderbird and a 1967 Lincoln Continental convertible — were taken from a garage at the ATI’s Hot Rolling and Processing Facility in Harrison and shipped to Indiana in April, where they are slated to be auctioned as a single lot over Labor Day weekend in September."

Seems pretty clear that it's going to auction and there is one left they kept.
As for the rest of the article complaining about the company selling the cars... who knows what the real reason is but it's their cars to do whatever they want with.
If it is a money thing I agree with what Nick said in another reply a couple back that selling the cars probably won't solve any problems the company has. Maybe they know they're headed towards bankrupcy or restructuring and want to get assets like the cars sold now rather then later when they'd probably be sold un-noticed for a fraction of what they should be going for.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

The value will be determined by their history. There's plenty of cash out there and some people are willing to spend it. Someone will buy them just to say they have them.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Update:
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/stai ... 48385.html
Stainless Steel Trifecta Get
Auctioned Close to a Cool but
Disappointing Million
Alex Oagana
Way before Tesla brought out the Cyrbertruck, stainless steel body panels on vehicles were seen as the most high-tech materials you can dress a car in.
No, we’re not talking necessarily about the DMc DeLorean, but about a marketing project back in the 1930s until the late 1960s, which saw the Ford Motor company collaborate with Allegheny Metal Co. (now ATI) on a number of exquisite-looking stainless steel-bodied vehicles.
Back in April we told you about three of such vehicles that were preparing to go on auction with no reserve as a single consignment, in an auction called the ‘Historic Stainless Steel Trifecta.’
Well, the auction took place this weekend and the $950,000 auction price might seem like a bargain for whomever had the winning bid.
“We are really pleased that these unique vehicles are in the hands of an experienced collector who will maintain them well into the future,” ATI spokeswoman Natalie Gillespie said after the auction. “As you know, ATI is not in the business of maintaining classic automobiles, and their value was deteriorating in our possession.”
The trio comprises a 1936 Ford Tudor Deluxe Touring Sedan, a 1960 Ford Thunderbird and a 1967 Lincoln Continental, each of them rare cars in their own right, but made even rarer by the unpainted stainless steel bodies that they’re sporting.

The Ford Tudor is one of six cars bodied by Allegheny Ludlum for Ford Motor Company as a technology demonstrator of stainless steels’ durability back in the 1930s and one of only four such examples to remain in existence today.
Much rarer is the 1960 Ford Thunderbird, since it’s only one of two and it also represents the very first automotive application of stainless steel for exhaust systems.
The gorgeous 1967 Lincoln Continental four-door convertible is one of just three such examples and it was hand-assembled in a special are of Ford Motor company’s Wixom facilities in Michigan.
Considering their historical significance and the fact that the trio was sold together with no reserve, let’s just say that whoever bought them got a pretty sweet deal according to some.
There’s a bunch of nice gallery pics. I can’t grab them all on mobile, but it would be nice if someone archived them in this thread.
CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

$1,045,000 was the price (probably including premium) for the three cars: 1936 Ford Deluxe Tudor Sedan; T-bird; & Lincoln Continental convertible, sold as one lot.
'66 convertible "The Blue Lagoon"
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

CaptainDave wrote:$1,045,000 was the price (probably including premium) for the three cars: 1936 Ford Deluxe Tudor Sedan; T-bird; & Lincoln Continental convertible, sold as one lot.
article posted above wrote:Well, the auction took place this weekend and the $950,000 auction price might seem like a bargain for whomever had the winning bid.
I think they paid too much.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

A lot easier to upload all the photos with the upgraded forum. Here you go to enjoy forever.
Attachments
stainless-steel-trifecta-get-auctioned-close-to-a-cool-but-disappointing-million_1.jpg
stainless-steel-trifecta-get-auctioned-close-to-a-cool-but-disappointing-million_2.jpg
stainless-steel-trifecta-get-auctioned-close-to-a-cool-but-disappointing-million_3.jpg
stainless-steel-trifecta-get-auctioned-close-to-a-cool-but-disappointing-million_4.jpg
stainless-steel-trifecta-get-auctioned-close-to-a-cool-but-disappointing-million_5.jpg
stainless-steel-trifecta-get-auctioned-close-to-a-cool-but-disappointing-million_6.jpg
stainless-steel-trifecta-get-auctioned-close-to-a-cool-but-disappointing-million_7.jpg
stainless-steel-trifecta-get-auctioned-close-to-a-cool-but-disappointing-million_8.jpg
stainless-steel-trifecta-get-auctioned-close-to-a-cool-but-disappointing-million_9.jpg
stainless-steel-trifecta-get-auctioned-close-to-a-cool-but-disappointing-million_10.jpg
stainless-steel-trifecta-get-auctioned-close-to-a-cool-but-disappointing-million_11.jpg
stainless-steel-trifecta-get-auctioned-close-to-a-cool-but-disappointing-million_12.jpg
stainless-steel-trifecta-get-auctioned-close-to-a-cool-but-disappointing-million_13.jpg
stainless-steel-trifecta-get-auctioned-close-to-a-cool-but-disappointing-million_14.jpg
stainless-steel-trifecta-get-auctioned-close-to-a-cool-but-disappointing-million_15.jpg
stainless-steel-trifecta-get-auctioned-close-to-a-cool-but-disappointing-million_16.jpg
stainless-steel-trifecta-get-auctioned-close-to-a-cool-but-disappointing-million_17.jpg
stainless-steel-trifecta-get-auctioned-close-to-a-cool-but-disappointing-million_18.jpg
stainless-steel-trifecta-get-auctioned-close-to-a-cool-but-disappointing-million_19.jpg
stainless-steel-trifecta-get-auctioned-close-to-a-cool-but-disappointing-million_20.jpg
stainless-steel-trifecta-get-auctioned-close-to-a-cool-but-disappointing-million_21.jpg
stainless-steel-trifecta-get-auctioned-close-to-a-cool-but-disappointing-million_22.jpg
stainless-steel-trifecta-get-auctioned-close-to-a-cool-but-disappointing-million_23.jpg
stainless-steel-trifecta-get-auctioned-close-to-a-cool-but-disappointing-million_24.jpg
stainless-steel-trifecta-get-auctioned-close-to-a-cool-but-disappointing-million_25.jpg
stainless-steel-trifecta-get-auctioned-close-to-a-cool-but-disappointing-million_26.jpg
stainless-steel-trifecta-get-auctioned-close-to-a-cool-but-disappointing-million_27.jpg
stainless-steel-trifecta-get-auctioned-close-to-a-cool-but-disappointing-million_28.jpg
stainless-steel-trifecta-get-auctioned-close-to-a-cool-but-disappointing-million-148385_1.jpg
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

I hope nobody minds if I add the granddaddy of them all:

Attachments
IMG_1579.jpeg
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

Looking at the picture of the stainless ‘66 convertible with the top up it occurs to me how many tops tend to lift up a bit near the rear door and this one even has a few ripples along the leading edge. I imagine the car had seen some use judging from this as well as what appears to be signs of sagging on the front seat.
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

Idk the history of any of this but I see something suspicious.

Why is the entire lincoln vert made of stainless except for the b pillars, door frames, and inner trunk lid? It wouldn't make sense to only paint those panels if they were indeed stainless. If that is the case I would suspect all the floors and structural pieces of the body to have also been steel.
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

1Bad55Chevy wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:35 pm Idk the history of any of this but I see something suspicious.

Why is the entire lincoln vert made of stainless except for the b pillars, door frames, and inner trunk lid? It wouldn't make sense to only paint those panels if they were indeed stainless. If that is the case I would suspect all the floors and structural pieces of the body to have also been steel.
Only outer body parts were stainless. The inner workings and underside were still regular steel. The cowl vent in the front was also chromed regular steel rather than stainless because of the complexity.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Cowl vent was chromed, but it is die cast pot metal or similar like our factory cars. They should have brushed the chrome after plating but I’m just nitpicking!
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

I wonder how they managed to hide the seams between the front fender stampings and the grille header? There’s a ton of lead filling those joints on my car…not even sure you can lead stainless, or whether it would blend well.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
jtheye
Frequent Contributor

Post by jtheye »

I don't know much, but what is obvious is that the pic of the Ford Deluxe is just a close up of the Monopoly game piece. Who the hell do they think they are fooling? :? :roll: :wink:
Whatdidijustgetinto?
1964 Rezinental Sedan