1966 Factory right hand drive

Any Lincoln fact related question can be posted here. Questions such as how many Contintenal convertibles were produced in MY1965? How much was the Town Car option in 1969? What size of tire was standard on a 1953 Premiere? or Does the Mark II retractible prototype still exist?

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

elcad70
Dedicated Enthusiast

1966 Factory right hand drive

Post by elcad70 »

I have been removing the bright work prior to painting on a 1966 four door sedan Lincoln Continental which is right hand drive. Usually the conversion is relatively easy to spot but the dash and steering gear in particular look very original.

Question is, were any right hand drive cars produced, or converted at the factory. This one apparently was sold new in Australia.
1970 Mark III Lincoln
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: 1966 Factory right hand drive

Post by TonyC »

I would say yes. These Continentals were available to anyone in the world who wanted one; but in some countries a right-hand-drive conversion was mandatory. England and Australia come to mind as having such a mandate. I also know that foreign countries required the speedos to be modified to display KPH instead of MPH, and some built for sale in such countries were so modified.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)