Lincoln Body Number Protocol

Any Lincoln fact related question can be posted here. Questions such as how many Contintenal convertibles were produced in MY1965? How much was the Town Car option in 1969? What size of tire was standard on a 1953 Premiere? or Does the Mark II retractible prototype still exist?

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: Lincoln Body Number Protocol

Post by TonyC »

I was looking for verification of how many '49s were made. I read a couple sources that said 73.5k, but I did the math from Dan's post above with the breakdown of models, and the sum doesn't come anywhere near that amount. It barely makes for half that amount--35,123. So I just want to verify the total number. I read one source recently that seems to verify the smaller number, conflicting with the other sources that stated the higher number. So, was '49 in fact Lincoln's sales record until '72?

---Tony
Last edited by TonyC on Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

Here Tony,

The info appears to be here...

http://classiccardatabase.com/postwar-m ... incoln.php

OK, looked at the numbers. There was a 9EL convertible, a 9EL Coupe and a 9 EL sedan. Then there was a 9EH Cosmopolitan convertible, a 9EH Cosmopolitan Coupe, a 9EH Cosmopolitan Sport Sedan and a 9 EH Cosmopolitan Town Sedan.

For the 3 9 EL models the 3 are reported production exactly the same at 38,384. The 9 EH Cosmopolitan has the same number of 35,123 reported the same for each of the 4 Cosmopolitan categories. Because the production numbers are reported exactly the same for each sub model it is telling me that there were 38,384 of the three 9 EL models made in total and 35,123 total production of the 4 EH Cosmopolitan models or a total of 73,507 total 1949 Lincolns.

I have another book upstairs that might have more accurate production numbers. I will look to see tomorrow.
Rob
1966 Lincoln Convertible (White/Black)
1957 Chevy Bel Air Resto-Mod (Anthricite/Black)
2009 Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi (Hemi Orange Pearl/Black)
2012 Expedition EL (White Titanium Tricoat/Charcoal)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Sounds good; it'll be nice to have the real facts on the production archived here for historical purposes.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
CMP-Phil
Lincoln Maniac

Post by CMP-Phil »

Hi Tony and Rob

I am very suspicious of the numbers listed on http://classiccardatabase.com/postwar-m ... incoln.php . Reason is that it listing the same number produced for all 4 body styles. I will have to get out all of my books on 49s and I don't think they produced the same number of each.

Keep up the digging.

Cheers Phil
Philip Waterman, New Hampshire
Cosmopolitan Town Sedan - Being restored1949 Lincoln web page
My Restoration Web Page
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

Hi CMP-Phil,

Actually, what I was saying is that they never kept records of how many of each sub model were produced or they were just reporting the total for the model. 38,384 is the total of all 4 submodels combined and the 35,123 is the total of all of the 9EH submodels produced.
Rob
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

Tony and CMP-Phil,

The book I was referring to that I have is the Encyclopedia of American Cars 1930-1980. It is reporting exactly the same numbers that I posted above for each model in total. They list the sub models of the EH and EL separately but there is nothing but a blank line for the production of each sub-model.

So, It appears there were a total of 38,384 of all 4 EL sub-models combined, produced and total of 35,123 of the 3 sub-models of the EH models combined.

The book is 3 or 4 inches thick so it is going to be difficult to scan or copy but I will try and post the pages here if I can do it.
Rob
CMP-Phil
Lincoln Maniac

Post by CMP-Phil »

Hi Rob

Instead of scanning, how about just taking a picture of the section of the page with the info.

Spent some time yesterday going through books I have and stuff online. Found some information on body style production, but the numbers don't all agree. Will try and post later in the day, when I come in from working on my Cosmopolitan this afternoon.

Cheers Phil
My Restoration Web Page
CMP-Phil
Lincoln Maniac

Post by CMP-Phil »

Hi

Here are the production numbers I found in "American Cars, 1946-1959: Every Model, Year by Year by J.Kelley Flory, Jr."
49 Linc Production Numbers 1.png
49 Linc Production Numbers 1.png (34.23 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
49 Linc Production Numbers 2.png
49 Linc Production Numbers 3.png
49 Linc Production Numbers 04.png
49 Linc Production Numbers 5.png
Could not grab the entire page with a screen grab so I took it in sections.

Looks like it might be an interesting book, anybody have it? If so take a look and see if he gives his sources for documentation?

Cheers Phil
My Restoration Web Page
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

Ok now we re getting somewhere. Great info you posted CMP-Phil, If you take the 38,384 from the EL models and 35,123 from the total EH models you get 73,507 total as is confirmed by what CMP-Phil just posted and the .pdf file attached here. Appears the Cosmopolitan has individual production numbers by body type but the Lincoln does not.

Just need to find Lincoln production numbers by body type now if they exist
Attachments
1949 LINCOLN 9EL-9EH STATS-ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN CARS 1930-1980.PDF
(1.39 MiB) Downloaded 72 times
Rob
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Well--now we know. The answer to the question is "Fact": 1949 was in fact Lincoln's sales record until 1972.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"