Continentals used at Montreal EXPO 67

Any Lincoln fact related question can be posted here. Questions such as how many Contintenal convertibles were produced in MY1965? How much was the Town Car option in 1969? What size of tire was standard on a 1953 Premiere? or Does the Mark II retractible prototype still exist?

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Continentals used at Montreal EXPO 67

Post by frasern »

Hello All. I am new to the site so not sure if this is the right spot, but here goes. I have a 1967 Convertible which may have been used in connection to Montreal EXPO 67. Does anyone have any have any information on the Continental Convertibles that were used during the event. A history site leads me to believe that some were used at the event and I am trying to see if mine was one of those. I have confirmed my car was shipped to Montreal one month before Expo. Any assistance greatly appreciated.
wmaloney
Frequent Contributor

Re: Continentails used at Montreal EXPO 67

Post by wmaloney »

Welcome to the forum. That is an intriguing possibility regarding your Lincoln. Unfortunately so far it doesn't look like anyone has an answer though. The only idea I have is to purchase some back issues of Continental Comments, ie, an issue or two after Expo 67 concluded. Maybe there would be an article in one of those issues that would shed some light.
Bill Maloney
1963 LC Convertible
1965 Fiat 1500 Cabriolet
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

Wonder if Ford or Marti would have those records. The 67 records were not destroyed in the fire. Thinking Ford would have info on that. They are pretty good.
Rob
1966 Lincoln Convertible (White/Black)
1957 Chevy Bel Air Resto-Mod (Anthricite/Black)
2009 Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi (Hemi Orange Pearl/Black)
2012 Expedition EL (White Titanium Tricoat/Charcoal)
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

I have the official Expo '67 guide and I checked it to see if there were any ads featuring a Lincoln but there are none. Actually I have not found a car ad yet but it is a large publication and I am going to double check because I find it hard to believe there are no car ads. I remember riding in a '65 Lincoln convertible that looped around on an indoor track at Ford's Rotundra building at the '64 Worlds Fair in New York city but I did not go to Expo '67, although my parents did. I remember all five of my family in the '65 Lincoln convertible. The car was on rails and I was just a small child and I was able to sit on my dad's lap and pretend I was driving which was a big thrill for a five year old. I don't know if Lincolns were present at Expo '67 but given their presence at the '64 Worlds Fair there is a good chance Lincoln convertibles were also present at Expo.
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
daves
Occasional Visitor

Post by daves »

How about a royal visit? The Queen and Prince Philip visited the fair in July as part of their Canadian tour. Dig around online, especially check newsreels from British Pathe, and you just might find something. French president deGaulle was also there so check that out as wellm
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Continentals used at Montreal EXPO 67

Post by frasern »

Thanks for the replies I am not a real computer guy so I will be slow with my responses. I am still digging into this but not a lot of info out there. I read on the Expo website that the organizers didn't want it to be "a trade show" which may explain the lack of advertising. Ford had no pavilion in 67 as they did in 64. I am following up with the Benson Ford Library and would still appreciate any leads people may have. Does anyone know which issues of Continental Comments may have some info?
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

Frasern, what color is your car? Any pics?
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
wmaloney
Frequent Contributor

Post by wmaloney »

I am not sure how far back Continental Comments goes, but on the LCOC website there is an index available for $10 that apparently lists issues and articles. Could be well worth it as if it was discussed after the expo you can target that particular back issue:
http://www.lcoc.org/Comments.htm
Bill Maloney
1963 LC Convertible
1965 Fiat 1500 Cabriolet
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I will enclose photos of car as I purchased it. I have begun body work, so it looks a lot worse now. Original paint was pewter, then painted forest green, now gold. If it has any provenance, I will return it to pewter, if not, I may choose to change it. I'm keeping the white top, black ones are too hot. Car has most options, except air and has 2 way drivers seat. Also pictured is the 62 I bought at the same time, because if one is good, 2 must be better.
100_0120.jpg
100_0121.jpg
100_0122.jpg
100_0112.jpg
100_0113.jpg
Attachments
100_0115.jpg
'62 and '67 LCC.
larrys 62 53A
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by larrys 62 53A »

I love the 62 but I wouldn't kick the 67 out of bed. I understand that when the queen is in Ottawa, there's a guy with a 63 convertible that she requests as she prefers a suicide-door car for parades and what not. I do recall the Ford Rotunda at the 64 world's fair. We rode in a Mustang convertible and my big brother was pissed off that I got to be behind the steering wheel. He left his lunch bag in the car, the dumbass. Wasn't the exhibit about cavemen or dinosaurs or something? Not to change the subject but I just don't quite recall after so many years . Good luck with your two cars!
Toronto Canada
1962 Lincoln-Continental sedan (mint original) owned since 1999
1954 Citroen 11B Traction Avant (restored by me) Owned since 1983
1991 Mercedes 190E (daily driver)
1960 Saab 93F- owned since 2015
1949 Citroen 11BL Traction Avant owned since 2015 -a work in progress
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

frasern wrote:Hello All. I am new to the site so not sure if this is the right spot, but here goes. I have a 1967 Convertible which may have been used in connection to Montreal EXPO 67. Does anyone have any have any information on the Continental Convertibles that were used during the event. A history site leads me to believe that some were used at the event and I am trying to see if mine was one of those. I have confirmed my car was shipped to Montreal one month before Expo. Any assistance greatly appreciated.
Maybe you can find your factory order paper (usually under back seat) or decode the trim tag and get more information like whether the car was delivered to a dealer or Ford of Canada. Also, maybe you can get a Marti report and get more info. Thanks for the pictures and good luck with your cars.
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
Deco
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Deco »

I would start with the DSO. Since it would have been imported my guess would be it would need to be a factory car " for marketing" or the correct DSO for that region of Canada.
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

My parents took my sister and I to the '67 Expo. Some of the exhibits were rather strange for a very young teen. Way before I had interest in Lincolns.

>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Please forgive slow update, computers are not my thing. DSO code is A2 which is correct for Montreal but not a special order. Date code 09C is one month before Expo opened. Options are what you would expect for a display car. I have the build sheet but if it has a dealership code I don't know where to find it. I doubt if the original purchaser info is available anyway.

I tried to get C.C. index from Cornerstone but only got a partial response and no price for "actual shipping costs", which I need to send payment. all they said was 1967 copies are not available.

Restoration has suffered from lack of free time, but I have stripped 5 coats of paint to inspect hidden sins. rust is minimal but every panel except the fuel door has been damaged and poorly repaired. I have not yet decided on a colour but thinking of medium silver (Code 4). I would like to see a finished one to see how the chrome would look.

Thanks for the comments so far!!!

Fraser from Saskatchewan
'62 and '67 LCC.
daves
Occasional Visitor

Post by daves »

I saw this in Wikipedia and it refers to a 1967 royal motorcade
Attachments
Royal_motorcade_(8075978363).jpg