Interior room

Any Lincoln fact related question can be posted here. Questions such as how many Contintenal convertibles were produced in MY1965? How much was the Town Car option in 1969? What size of tire was standard on a 1953 Premiere? or Does the Mark II retractible prototype still exist?

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

finsrin
Occasional Visitor

Interior room

Post by finsrin »

I read some time back that 58-60 Lincolns have greatest interior room (dimensions?) of any/all American passenger cars.
Excluded limos and station wagons.
Know anything about that ?
1959 Galaxie, 1959 Lincoln Continental, 1960 Thunderbird, 1972 F-100
1997 Mustang GT, 1997 Thunderbird, 2013 GT500
gradyjacoway
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: Interior room

Post by gradyjacoway »

1958-1960 Continental Conv. was the biggest conv. ever made in
USA. Bigger than any 59 Cad. conv.

Grady
gkramer47
Former LCOC Pres.

Post by gkramer47 »

Finsrin,

Can't imagine a standard car with more cubic room inside than the '58-'60, given the tremendous space in the front passenger compartment.

Glenn Kramer
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Nonetheless, it could be possible. A for-instance referring to different years: The '70s full-sizers were obviously larger than any of the Suicides, yet the '66-9 cars have more trunk space than any of the '70s. I would even submit for debate that the Suicides of that set of years had more trunk space than even the behemoths of the late '50s (even though that claim would primarily be because of the well in the trunk the other unibodies didn't have). Also, I believe the BUFFs* of the late '50s had a higher drive shaft hump than the '60s versions; every automotive article from the day stated that. But there is no question at all that John Najjar and Elwood Engel succeeded in fulfilling Ford's edict to make a car that was "110% of Cadillac" for 1958.

*BUFF = Big Ugly Fat Fella, a term of endearment once used for B-52 bombers.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Linmk56
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Linmk56 »

Here is the specification page from the 1959 Lincoln Brochure. Hope this helps.
Attachments
1959 Lincoln Brochure Spec Page
1959 Lincoln Brochure Spec Page
Howard
1956 Mark II C5691376
1973 Mark IV Fanatic
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1973 Mark IV Fanatic »

I believe that I read somewhere once that the way interior volume is measured these days is a little bit different than the way it was measured years ago; the actual measurements in the cars of yesteryear could be different from the factory specs if they were to measure the interior space of these cars using today's methods. Hard numbers don't lie, but in many cases, how accommodating a car is or seems depends on people's perceptions.
Jim Weller 1986 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition, 1996 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series, 2000 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition.
Linmk56
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Linmk56 »

For comparison, here is interior dimensions from the 1959 Cadillac Series 62 Salesman Databook
Attachments
1959 Salesman Data Book
1959 Salesman Data Book
Howard
1956 Mark II C5691376
LCont72
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by LCont72 »

I remember having seen a filmstrip produced by Ford Motor Company in which '58 Lincolns and Continentals were parked side-by-side with various '58 Cadillac models. People armed with telescoping metal rods and long metal measuring sticks would first measure a dimension in a Lincoln or Continental, and then take the metal rod or measuring stick over to a nearby Cadillac, and apply the extended rod or measuring stick to the comparable dimension in the Cadillac. The filmstrip presentation was designed to show how roomy the '58 Lincolns and Continentals were, compared to Cadillacs, which appeared to fall woefully short.

I also seem to remember that some of the rear seat room dimensions differed between the Lincolns and the Continentals, owing to a revised positioning of the rear seat to accommodate the retracting Breezeway window in the Continentals.

-Charles
Linmk56
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Linmk56 »

I also seem to remember that some of the rear seat room dimensions differed between the Lincolns and the Continentals, owing to a revised positioning of the rear seat to accommodate the retracting Breezeway window in the Continentals.
You are correct, there was a difference between the Lincoln and the Lincoln Continental as evidenced by dimensions that appear in the brochure page posted.
Howard
1956 Mark II C5691376