66 convertible with tonneau cover

Any Lincoln fact related question can be posted here. Questions such as how many Contintenal convertibles were produced in MY1965? How much was the Town Car option in 1969? What size of tire was standard on a 1953 Premiere? or Does the Mark II retractible prototype still exist?

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: 66 convertible with tonneau cover

Post by Dan Szwarc »

The 07K date code is October 07, 1965. This is a very early model year 1966 car. The VIN serial number (last 6 digits) is likely under 408,000.

Forget about the bumperettes and the tonneau cover. They are aftermarket hacks. While it may have been a special parade car at some time, or even used for Elvis, without proof, they are not factory options and you would have to determine if they are somehow authorized mods by Ford.

Axle code 1 is a 3.00 standard Diff.
Axle code F is a 2.80 Locker.
Code 1F shouldn't exist!

You need to get to the axle tag to confirm what it is. The code on the VIN tag makes no sense.
66rag

Post by 66rag »

correct on the vin number 407336. Does this and DSO 84 tell you anything more?
Starting interior detailing and will look for build sheets, maybe they will tell something
Will also check the axle tag.
Great info ...Thanks Keep it coming guys as I am new to the Lincoln world ,any and all info is appreciated
1966 convertible Black/Black/Black
1966 convertible D. Blue/D.Blue/D.Blue
1967 Sedan L. Green/ Green interior
1970 GTX V-Code 440-6pac
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

Looks like a JC Whitney Tonneau. They sold these forever for just about everything... Before they went to fog lights and curb feelers you could get some pretty neat stuff from JC Whitney. My '69 Midget had a JC Whitney tonneau that fit the lift-the-dot studs.

I just bought some bulk fabric for my car and it has a stamp similar to the one on your fabric. Kinda looks like a date code?

The bumper overriders are certainly JC Whitney or Fast Charlie's - I had a set I bought for a Dodge Dart ages ago - big, bulky and completely out-of-place on my little car.
Rob
66rag

Post by 66rag »

Dan Szwarc wrote:
66rag wrote:It is a DSO 84 car with huge push pads on the front and rear bumpers. Also no emblems on the front fenders and no evidence of them ever being there.
All original paint and interior car. 53,000 miles Any thoughts?
Check the VIN. If the first digit is a 6, you have a 66 with a 67 grille, etc. If it's a 7, you have a 67 that's been customized, but not likely by the factory.

The interior is 66. The door panels, armrest trim, hood ornament, etc. The grille and headlamp doors are 67.

No sign of holes for the 66 fender stars? Check the welds at the inside of the fenders just inside the hood. Are they all blobby and uneven? Then the fenders have been replaced, likely from an accident, but it doesn't matter.
The grill and headlamp doors interchange correct
1970 GTX V-Code 440-6pac
66rag

Post by 66rag »

66Lincoupe wrote:Looks like a JC Whitney Tonneau. They sold these forever for just about everything... Before they went to fog lights and curb feelers you could get some pretty neat stuff from JC Whitney. My '69 Midget had a JC Whitney tonneau that fit the lift-the-dot studs.

I just bought some bulk fabric for my car and it has a stamp similar to the one on your fabric. Kinda looks like a date code?

The bumper overriders are certainly JC Whitney or Fast Charlie's - I had a set I bought for a Dodge Dart ages ago - big, bulky and completely out-of-place on my little car.
PC Naugahide 11-68
1970 GTX V-Code 440-6pac
66rag

Post by 66rag »

66rag wrote:
66Lincoupe wrote:Looks like a JC Whitney Tonneau. They sold these forever for just about everything... Before they went to fog lights and curb feelers you could get some pretty neat stuff from JC Whitney. My '69 Midget had a JC Whitney tonneau that fit the lift-the-dot studs.

PC Naugahide 11-68
the bumper overrides say RedSeal on them. Think I will keep them on as they were on when I got the car,
1970 GTX V-Code 440-6pac
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Naugahyde is from the fictional nauga-beast; the 60s name for vinyl.

The 11-68 date means that the tonneau conversion was likely done in late November of 1968 to early 1969, 3 years after the car was assembled.
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

Dan Szwarc wrote:Naugahyde is from the fictional nauga-beast; the 60s name for vinyl...
A whole lotta naugas had to give their lives to make that tonneau!! ;)
Rob