max miles per gallon?

Any Lincoln fact related question can be posted here. Questions such as how many Contintenal convertibles were produced in MY1965? How much was the Town Car option in 1969? What size of tire was standard on a 1953 Premiere? or Does the Mark II retractible prototype still exist?

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: max miles per gallon?

Post by TonyC »

Well, the Suicides consistently were reported as never supposing to get better than 12 mpg--averaging about 10--according to any and every source material of the day that I've come across...save for the two-barrel years, which were reported to max out at 14 mpg, but I doubt they managed to do that on average. So the fact that I can make a net average of 13.5 to 14 mpg on Frankenstein--higher than the best possible mileage according to all the sources--is a proportionally significant improvement (I'm pretty sure my grand's Vitalizer has something to do with it, but so is to-spec tuning). Who knows what a full-blown rebuild would do...but I'm not aiming for that yet.

---Tony

UPDATE: During my vacation last month, I was given quite a surprise. I drove Frankenstein from Shreveport to Toledo and back, averaging 18 mpg the whole way--keeping a consistent 70 mph with the cruise control (when it worked--discovered the points were getting pitted which affected the CC's operation). Even with pitted points he was still doing 18 mpg. It's possible that bumping up a level on the octane scale--from 87 to 89--may have contributed, but a 49-year-old Suicide that sat dormant for 20 months? To me, that was amazing.
Last edited by TonyC on Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
GOldman Classics
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by GOldman Classics »

Like Al implied...... I drove from Toronto Canada to Atlanta GA. and averaged about 20-21 mpg. I was doing 60-65 mph though and not using cruise. I burned only premium fuel and YES, Al's help in tuning did make it run TONS better. These cars, once up at highway speed do pretty well on gas. I am sure in 1975 gas was a LOT cheaper and i'm sure you had a heavier foot than what you do now Jon ;)
"My pappy said son you gonna drive me to drinkin' if you don't stop drivin' that HOT ROD LINKIN'
Striving for 100% customer satisfaction here at GOldman Classic Lincolns!
Newbie68
Frequent Contributor

Post by Newbie68 »

well, I haven't driven my 68 Lincoln with a 462 enough yet to see how much mpg I get. But right now in the warm weather, my 79 Thunderbird, which weighs around 6250 pounds with me and my stuf in it, that I DD, get's 21 mpg highway and about 11 mpg city. And that's with a 302 and 3 speed
68 Continental for damn cheap. I now know why. A lot of work ahead
mr.niftie
Frequent Contributor

Post by mr.niftie »

Dermot wrote:
1976 L-M Price Book - Pages 4-5.pdf
I know I'm repsonding to a super old post but are there any more pages to this document or any other years?
1973 Lincoln Mark IV Silver Edition, full load
2014 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid RIP
"They even have the Internet for computers now."
Homer Simpson
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Holy heavyweight, Batman! You carry over 2,200 pounds of load in that T-Bird?? How does the suspension not buckle?

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Newbie68
Frequent Contributor

Post by Newbie68 »

Ha ha yeah, I actually thought that the door placard that says 5816 pounds was the weight of my car this whole time. I just found out today that GVWR is the max safe load that the car can handle
68 Continental for damn cheap. I now know why. A lot of work ahead
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

:wink: You aren't the only one who made that mistake, so it's cool.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

John Harbour

Post by John Harbour »

My 1969 Lincoln Mark III with a 460 gets like 22 mpg. I put an AOD tranny on it and did minor engine work to increase MPG. If you want to increase MPG on a carbureted 460, one thing that can give a few percentile increase in MPG would be putting a frying pan screen under the carburetor-under the vacuum spacer plate. This causes the gasoline to disperse more evenly and burn more efficiently.
lincolnmatthews

Post by lincolnmatthews »

The best I ever got with a 460 (71 Mark III) was back in about 78 from Salt Lake City to I believe Reno. It was about 500 miles & I drove a steady 55 MPH (a slow trip!) anyway I got 21 MPG . I typically got 12 MPG back & forth to work & about 16 on the hwy. A great car! I'm glad I ended up with my neighbors car, a 71 Mark with a sunroof, blk. exterior & white leather high back seats. A very nice car that I'm currently getting back on the road.