1980-81 Mark VI Signature Series. How many?

Any Lincoln fact related question can be posted here. Questions such as how many Contintenal convertibles were produced in MY1965? How much was the Town Car option in 1969? What size of tire was standard on a 1953 Premiere? or Does the Mark II retractible prototype still exist?

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

cgrocen
Frequent Contributor

1980-81 Mark VI Signature Series. How many?

Post by cgrocen »

Hi all,

I just purchased a red 1981 Mark VI Signature Series sedan with a moonroof. How many Mark VI Signature Series coupes and sedans were made in 1980-1981? I have not been able to find any production numbers on these cars.

These cars were available only in Silver or Red (actually Burgundy in 1980, Red in 1981), and then for the very last part of 1981 two more colors were added, black and white. The only interior color available was red. The had a red carpeted trunk, a leather bound tool kit in the trunk, and a neat glove box mounted flash light. The park light lens inserts and front and rear bumper rub strips were color co-ordinated with the body color as well. After 1981, the Mark VI Signature Series cars lost all of these special features and were available in any color you wanted.

Also, I would like to find production numbers for the Designer Series Mark VI cars from 1980-1983. These are the Bill Blass, Emilio Pucci, Givenchy, and Cartier models.

Cheers,

Chris
**SOLD** 1977 Continental Mark V, Black Diamond Fire metallic with Dove Grey Majestic Velour Luxury Group interior, forged aluminum wheels, moonroof, 460-4V, dual exhaust
1980 Continental Mark VI Signature Series, two-door, maroon, 351, leather, padded trunk lid delete
1981 Continental Mark VI Signature Series, four-door, red, velour, moonroof
1983 Continental Mark VI Designer Series, Emilio Pucci Edition, two-door, velour
1984 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series, Carriage Roof
MMM
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: 1980-81 Mark VI Signature Series. How many?

Post by MMM »

Cartier was until 1981 only. In '82, the Cartier Editions were Town Cars.
cgrocen
Frequent Contributor

Post by cgrocen »

Hi Martin,

Thank you for being specific about the Cartier model. I was aware that starting in 1982, the Cartier designer series was transferred to the Town Car. As well, the Givenchy lasted until 1982 in the Mark VI, and was not available in a Mark VI in 1983. I was just using the Designer Series names in general for the Mark VI cars in my initial post.

1980 Mark VI Designer Series cars were Bill Blass, Cartier, Emilio Pucci, and Givenchy.
1981 Mark VI Designer Series cars were Bill Blass, Cartier, Emilio Pucci, and Givenchy.
1982 Mark VI Designer Series cars were Bill Blass, Emilio Pucci, and Givenchy.
1983 Mark VI Designer Series cars were Bill Blass and Emilio Pucci.

In 1982, the Givenchy Designer Series was also available in the new mid-size Continental. In 1983, the mid-size Continental offered the Givenchy and Valentino Designer Series.

I would still like to find production numbers for the Mark VI cars broken out to the various Designer Series models as well as the Signature Series cars for 1980-1983. I have not been able to find any information on separate production numbers yet.

Chris
**SOLD** 1977 Continental Mark V, Black Diamond Fire metallic with Dove Grey Majestic Velour Luxury Group interior, forged aluminum wheels, moonroof, 460-4V, dual exhaust
1980 Continental Mark VI Signature Series, two-door, maroon, 351, leather, padded trunk lid delete
1983 Continental Mark VI Designer Series, Emilio Pucci Edition, two-door, velour
MMM
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by MMM »

cgrocen wrote: In 1982, the Givenchy Designer Series was also available in the new mid-size Continental.

I didn't know that. Does the Continental have the same colors as the Mark VI - two-tone black & gray, with gray interior?
cgrocen
Frequent Contributor

Post by cgrocen »

The 1982 Continental Givenchy was two tone burgundy with a burgundy interior.

Here are some pictures:

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/jirutenberg/

Chris
Mr Wiggl3s
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mr Wiggl3s »

I dont think there was a 81 signature series

you sure its not a town car coupe?
cgrocen
Frequent Contributor

Post by cgrocen »

Hi Mr. Wiggl3s,

Yes, I am sure that my car is 1981 Signature Series Continental Mark VI, and not a 1981 Lincoln Town Coupe Signature Series, or a 1980 Mark VI Signature Series. It has "Signature Series" script below the oval opera window, and "Mark VI Signature Series" written on the dash above the glove box. In 1980, the "Mark VI" above the glove box light up from behind in a green color when the headlights were turned on. In 1981, this feature was eliminated and the "Mark VI" did not light up and was in silver colored letters. My car has the silver colored non lit up Mark VI lettering. The woodgrain interior trim is dark ebony instead of the lighter colored wood trim in base series and designer series Mark VI cars in 1980-81. The 1981 Signature Series cars had aluminum wire spoked wheels, the 1980 cars came with color keyed cast turbine wheels. My car has the aluminum spoked wheels. It is just as described in my 1981 Mark VI dealer brochure. Yes it is a Mark VI because it has the hump on the trunk and the hide-away headlights and the louvers on the front fenders. Yes it is a 1981 car because it has power actuated door mirrors, which were not available in 1980. The 1980 cars had manual cable actuated side mirrors. My car was built in January of 1981 as shown on the driver's door sticker and the date codes stamped into the top inner edges of the front fenders just above the starter solenoid and voltage regulator are 12 12 80 and 12 9 80, meaning that the front fenders were stamped on December 12 and 9 of 1980, when 1981 model year cars were being built. The wiper motor has a date of Jan. 7 '81 stamped on it. The serial number of my car is 1MRBP96F4BY6XXXXX. The 10th character is the model year code. B means 1981. The 1980 Signature Series Mark VI cars were maroon or silver in color (only two exterior color choices in 1980 Sig. Series cars). My car is dark red metallic, as maroon was not one of the Signature Series colors available in 1981 (the other color choice in 1981 was silver, then black and white were added near the end of the model year). The park lamp lens inserts are red and not maroon as they would be for 1980. It has the red color keyed bumper rub strips. It has the red carpeted trunk and red liner on the underside of the trunk lid and the padded hump on the trunk and the rechargeable glove box flashlight with the Continental star logo on it. The instrument panel has the gold tint to the faces of the radio and heater controls instead of the silver colored faces. The edges of the speedometer, fuel gauge and electronic message center have gold colored trim on them. The inside of the the globe box is lined with black felt. All of these things were Mark VI Signature Series only features. Yes, my car is definitely a 1981 Continental Mark VI Signature Series car, as verified by the serial number, 1981 versus 1980 features, and color. :grin: Regards, Chris

Here is a picture of my 1981 Signature Series Mark VI.
cgrocen
Frequent Contributor

Post by cgrocen »

Mr. Wiggl3s,

Scans from my 1981 dealer brochure:

Chris
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

I have a pair of '81 MK VI Sig 4 drs (1 silver, 1 red) if anyone is interested. Both are complete (even tool kits and flash lights) and run. Call 253.229.5091 or email RB.V4@att.net if interested.

'98 Mk VIII LSC
'97 TC Cartier
'91 TC Cartier
'84 Cont Diesel
'83 Cont
'83 MK VI Coupe
2 '81 MK VI 4dr Sig
'80 MK VI Givenchy Coupe
'71 MK III
rmbb

Post by rmbb »

Continental Mark VI Production Figures
1980 Two-Door: 20647 Four-Door: 18244
1981 Two-Door: 18740 Four-Door: 17958
1982 Two-Door: 11532 Four-Door: 14804
1983 Two-Door: 12743 Four-Door: 18113
Attachments
80mark_SS_mar_8.jpg
cgrocen
Frequent Contributor

Post by cgrocen »

Hi rmbb,

Thank you for the production numbers for the Mark VI's from 80-83. However, those numbers are for all Mark VI series; Base Series, Designer Series, and Signature Series. I am trying to find the production numbers broken out for those separate series. If you sourced the production numbers from the Standard Catalog of American cars, you will probably see that for 80-81 Signature Series cars that the numbers are "N/A" (Not Available) and for 82-83 there is a footnote that says "Production of Signature and Designer Series is included in basic model totals".

Sincerely,

Chris
rmbb

Post by rmbb »

Yeah I know it wasnt what you asked for, figured the numbers I found was at least something. If I ever stumble on numbers for each series I promise to post them. Do you still own your Mark VI? Did you ever have any problems with the rear-brakes locking up and stalling the engine when breaking hard?
cgrocen
Frequent Contributor

Post by cgrocen »

Hi,

I still have my Mark VI and a couple more. You can see my cars listed at the bottom of this post.

I have never had any problem with my brakes. When I got the car I did a complete overhaul of the braking system. New master cylinder, new front calipers, pads, hoses, rotors and bearings, New rear shoes and wheel cylinders. The brakes are literally like new. If you have never done any service to your brakes, I can assure you that there will be gunk in the master cylinder and front calipers, and the rear wheel cylinders will be full of rust, and will most likely be leaking. Simply bleeding the system will do no good. The bleeder screws are at the top of the cylinder and/or caliper where air may be, but the rust and gunk is at the bottom of the caliper or cylinder. You must take the components apart and clean them out, or simply replace them with new to have a reliable and functional braking system. These cars are 30 years old, and some have never had the brake fluid replaced. That is just asking for trouble.

Cheers,

Chris
cgrocen
Frequent Contributor

80-81 Mark VI Signature Series & all Mark VI's how many?

Post by cgrocen »

Hi everyone,

I have created a spreadsheet that I would like to fill in with production numbers for all Mark VI cars. Up till now, there have only been total production numbers available for 2-doors and 4-doors for each year, not broken down into model series such as Base, Base with Luxury Group, Signature Series, or Designer Series cars like Bill Blass, Cartier, etc. Marti Reports from Marti Auto Works are now available that give specific production numbers for the Mark VI you get the report for. I have applied to Marti Auto Works to get reports for my cars and when I do I will update the spreadsheet. This is what I have so far. If anyone else has a Marti Report for their car, or plans to get one, can they forward the production number that is specific for their model so I can update the spreadsheet? Just a note that the 1980-81 Signature Series cars were only available in the colors shown. In 1982 and 83, they were available in any color. For the other Designer Series models there were color variations and I believe I have all of them shown. If I have missed something, let me know and I can correct it.

Cheers,

Chris

norgale
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by norgale »

rmbb wrote:Continental Mark VI Production Figures
1980 Two-Door: 20647 Four-Door: 18244
1981 Two-Door: 18740 Four-Door: 17958
1982 Two-Door: 11532 Four-Door: 14804
1983 Two-Door: 12743 Four-Door: 18113
WOW! That is one beautiful car.
Pete McGill LCOC 023903M
2006 Dodge Pickup 2500 v-8 Magnum Hemi
1981 Lincoln Continental Mark 6

ON TIME IS WHEN I GET THERE.