The definitive answer on how many Mark IIs were made.

Any Lincoln fact related question can be posted here. Questions such as how many Contintenal convertibles were produced in MY1965? How much was the Town Car option in 1969? What size of tire was standard on a 1953 Premiere? or Does the Mark II retractible prototype still exist?

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Re: The definitive answer on how many Mark IIs were made.

Post by Barry Wolk »

I'd love to answer that question, Bob. However, it gets more confusing all the time. The Blue/silver car in Toronto was just recently made into a convertible by the Collins family, who turns out have made 9 convertibles. There was a maroon convertible with a tan top sold at auction recently, too, but it's a recent chop, as well. They all seem to be pretty nicely done. Add to them the two cars made by Alan Taylor and that's 13 known. There are a number of topless parade cars out there, too. I ran across a convertible recently near Boston, at a wildlife center. Someone posted a picture of a Mark II convertible in a ratty garage. I contacted the administrator and was rebuffed. I asked some people I knew in the area if they know of the car and they said no. I contacted the photographer and she ended up pulling the picture off of Flikr. I even went so far as to send an e-mail to our old friend in Boston. I thought for sure his doggedness would get to the bottom of the mystery, but I never heard back from him.

I just came across this picture. This is Art Sears, the retired shop manager from Hess & Eisenhardt.

'56 Mark II convertible, '51 Royal Spartanette, '56 Chris Craft Continental
'68 Lincoln Continental Limo, '77 Town Car, '55 356 Porsche Continental cabrio,
'69 Mark III convertible,'88 BMW 750iL, '88 BMW 325iX, '97 BMW Z-3, '98 ML-320

My newest car is 15 years old!
dcm5652
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by dcm5652 »

Barry your statements in this thread are also my reasons for not taking any of my cars to a Concurs or Points meat, I want people to tell me what they like about the car not what is not correct to the manufactures delivery, I wont own a car that I cannot drive to a show, I don't believe that trailer'd cars should be judged in a car show.
3 1977 Mark V Luxury Group
2 1979 Mark V Collector Series
1 1967 Continental Coupe, (Dads car)
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

Points judging just isn't for me. I know many people that enjoy the drive for perfection. That makes for a cool hobby, too. I went to the Michigan meet. People really seemed to be enjoying themselves. If you look at Concours and points-judged shows as places to meet great people and start meaningful long-term relationships then you're selling yourself short by not participating in some form or fashion. This hobby is all about the people, not the cars.
'56 Mark II convertible, '51 Royal Spartanette, '56 Chris Craft Continental
'68 Lincoln Continental Limo, '77 Town Car, '55 356 Porsche Continental cabrio,
'69 Mark III convertible,'88 BMW 750iL, '88 BMW 325iX, '97 BMW Z-3, '98 ML-320

My newest car is 15 years old!
dcm5652
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by dcm5652 »

Barry I will go to a points show but I will not bring my cars or have them judged when I do happen to take one to a show that Judges cars, and I have some cars that with a little cleaning and detailing could be 90+ or better cars, I think they were meant to be driven and used and not built to be "Show Pieces". I have had cars that were "Show Pieces" and didn't enjoy them as much as the ones that I drive when-ever or where-ever I want, when I had a "Show Piece" I was always afraid of someone getting to close and putting a scratch on it or smear a wax job that took a lot of work to do.
3 1977 Mark V Luxury Group
2 1979 Mark V Collector Series
1 1967 Continental Coupe, (Dads car)
Bob Hubbard
On Special Assignment

Post by Bob Hubbard »

dcm5652 wrote:Barry I will go to a points show but I will not bring my cars or have them judged when I do happen to take one to a show that Judges cars, and I have some cars that with a little cleaning and detailing could be 90+ or better cars, I think they were meant to be driven and used and not built to be "Show Pieces". I have had cars that were "Show Pieces" and didn't enjoy them as much as the ones that I drive when-ever or where-ever I want, when I had a "Show Piece" I was always afraid of someone getting to close and putting a scratch on it or smear a wax job that took a lot of work to do.

I am often asked do I "show" my Tbird.
I have been to some of the local shows, and some that are more on the order of coffee and cars.
And as for "showing" the car, I do that every time I get behind the wheel and drive somewhere.
That's plenty of "show" for me.
Bob.