Mark IIIs. Why do people persist in believing advertising?

Any Lincoln fact related question can be posted here. Questions such as how many Contintenal convertibles were produced in MY1965? How much was the Town Car option in 1969? What size of tire was standard on a 1953 Premiere? or Does the Mark II retractible prototype still exist?

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Mark IIIs. Why do people persist in believing advertising?

Post by Barry Wolk »

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Why people believe that the 1958 Mark III isn't a Lincoln is beyond me when every single 1958 Lincoln Continental Mark III is fitted with a dash plaque that says this.
Wolk_Lincoln_Continental_Mark-III_Badge.jpg
Wolk_Lincoln_Continental_Mark-III_Badge.jpg (22.13 KiB) Viewed 3421 times
I wrote an article on the subject. I'd love to discuss the facts.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/automotiv ... a-lincoln/

They tried to make the 1969 Mark III more exclusive so they furthered the 1958 lore and didn't put the word Lincoln anywhere on he car, but the title. All but a few aberrations are titled as Lincolns. They didn't lie this time, they just chose their words more carefully.
Mark III title copy.png
When I got the aqua Mark III slicktop people started sending me literature. My friend, Al Gorosh, gave me a Mark III brochure that was unusual. It contains actual photos, not printed pages. It is clearly marked CONFIDENTIAL in gold lettering. I believe this is an introductory piece given to Ford executives, members of the BOD and dealers. None of the cars pictured have headrests required early in 1969. Often called the "1968 1/2", but even that's not true as every Mark III serial number starts with a 9 for 1969. There isn't a single title, parts book or service manual that uses "1968 1/2". It just denotes a running change to accommodate mandatory safety changes.

Here's the first page of the brochure. How can anyone dispute this?

The rest of the brochure.

Note that the colors are not all that they offered. It shows the vinyl top as optional.

Marti Reports are generated off of access to Ford's data base. They clearly shows the car as a Lincoln Continental Mark III.

Why do people persist in claiming that the '58, '69 and subsequent Marks are somehow not a Lincoln when they were built on the same assembly line as the Thunderbird and other Lincolns, put together by the same workers, picking many parts from the same bins. You would have to believe that somehow the Continental Division lived on, but there is zero proof of this. I would believe it if 3 items were cleared up. Where did they move after Edsel occupied Continental's offices in November of 1956? Who led the Division? We know where William Clay Ford went, so, who headed the Mark projects?

It's very nice to think your special car is somehow not a Lincoln, but facts matter.
'56 Mark II convertible, '51 Royal Spartanette, '56 Chris Craft Continental
'68 Lincoln Continental Limo, '77 Town Car, '55 356 Porsche Continental cabrio,
'69 Mark III convertible,'88 BMW 750iL, '88 BMW 325iX, '97 BMW Z-3, '98 ML-320

My newest car is 15 years old!
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Mark IIIs. Why do people persist in believing advertisin

Post by ContiFan »

This reminds of the discussion on here that started back in 2010.
https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... 10&t=35028
CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

I know this is a hot topic within the LCOC but it's all moot to me. I'll gladly call a Mark II a Continental, but even it had a Lincoln engine and was sold by Lincoln dealers. When all's said and done, they were all products of the Ford Motor Company.
'66 convertible "The Blue Lagoon"
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Whoah. Let’s not go crazy saying it uses Ford parts.
CARRJ142

Post by CARRJ142 »

My Lincoln 2011 MKX rear splash shields have, "EDGE", embossed in them.
When I saw that I was wth, and then you move on.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Well, the '66—9 models had "Lincoln" placed in only three spots on each car aside from the title: The two front kick panels under the doors, and the owner's manual. That was it. For the '60s Ford really wanted to emphasize the "Continental" status, which is why they all-but-officially changed the name of the division to "Lincoln Continental."

Yes, the Continental division was officially separate from Lincoln in the Mark II days...but despite some historical accounts (I admit they do exist), by M-Y '58 that division was entirely re-absorbed by Lincoln. They still wanted to emphasize the prestige of the name "Continental," but the distinct division no longer existed.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)