2022 Forum Migration Progress Update: Aug 14, We are back!

Check here for the latest information about this forum, its policies, rules, changes, backup schedule, features, etc.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

2022 Forum Migration Progress Update: Aug 14, We are back!

Post by Dan Szwarc »

See the last post for the latest update here

Because of the problems, I'm working towards figuring out how to back up and update the forum to the latest phpBB3 from 3.0.12 to 3.3.x. It's a big task for me and I have to break it up across several days or weeks. I don't have the time and motivation to work on the forum hours on end as I still have a normal job, a normal responsibilities, etc.

As I've mentioned before, I am not a computer expert, a php or MySQL expert, etc. I have to research everything the way a plumber has to research electrical wiring or a baker how to fix a car. I have no idea what I am doing and have no training or education doing this. I'm not even self-taught because I don't consider myself a novice.

So the plan is to perform the following:
  • Shut down forum temporarily to freeze files
  • Backup existing databases
  • Copy databases to new server & local (my PC)
  • Get copies up and running Failed 04/18/2022. Images not loading.
  • Update copies to new software
  • Test copies to verify operation
  • Update original installation
  • Re-open the forum
  • Repeat every 6-12 months
This could take me a few days to a month or more. Please be patient. The forum will shut down multiple times during this process.
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: 2022 Forum migration and update coming March-April

Post by Mike »

I know the feeling trying to figure the stuff out and keep things going and there's a lot of content here.
Thanks for all the work :)
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

If I could help in any way, I would. But I'm even less schooled in web programming.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

The first backup attempt occurred yesterday. The log says it failed, but I think it’s good. We’re back for now, while I attempt duplication to verify the backup. I found some curious files which may be signs of hacking.
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 2022 Forum Migration Progress Update March 2022

Post by frasern »

Hackers are like Covid, they are everywhere, they adapt faster than we can, and they will never go away! Too bad they won't use their energy for good.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Tonight I am installing the database on my local computer. Here's where I stand right now at 7:17PM EDT.
Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 7.16.29 PM.png
This will allow me to run the forum locally on my own machine without the internet in between. If this works, I create a duplicate and do it on the actual web server host itself. This will create a second running copy of the forum online. Of course, it's frozen from last night and won't inlcude this post, but that's OK. This is just a learning experiment.

The forum will remain up until I finish the whole update process locally, then online. Then I will freeze the forum and start over or switch over. Whatever gets posted in between would get lost, but I don't want to shut down for more than a weekend.
Goldstar
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Goldstar »

Thanks Dan. I apologize for opening this can of worms. Very much appreciate your efforts and I’ll be more articulate in the future.
Peter
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Your "complaint" was the last straw, but it's been a long time coming. I've been dreading doing this and what motivation better than an unsatisfied customer?
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

Thank you for going to all this extra work and trouble to do this, Dan.

What thread do I need to open up in order to understand how to donate money to the Forum?? When you get a minute, (or anyone else) point me in the right direction

Rick
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Agree, I would like to donate, as well. Thanks for your efforts.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Paypal donations can be sent to dansz1138@dannann.net directly. I'll see about setting up a separate link.

Today's update is that I have a local server running and I can create a forum from scratch, but I have not been able to restore the forum from backups just yet. Running transfers tonight that look like they will take a few hours. Fingers crossed I will be able to take the HTML backup and connect it to the SQL backup to verify the whole transfer process.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Running locally is now working! Found the typo in my config file and now have an exact duplicate running on my local PC.

This weekend, we are going to shut down for a majority of the time while I do multiple backup tasks and repeat the process one more time to iron out some bugs and attempt upgrade.

We're one third of the way there!
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Thanks for the donation, Stu and Nickolaus.

In other news, I’ve been trying to make a duplicate of the forum on the server itself, which is going to be necessary if the whole upgrade process goes awry. So far, I’m stuck at duplicating rhe sql database. The sql tool “big dump” that allows me to copy the database by uploading the backup that works great at home isn’t working on the server.

The second problem is the tool that upgrades the database from old forum software 3.0.12 to the latest version isn’t working on my local copy. Argh!

I will keep trying.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

OK. After a night of sleep and a day of work, I am currently creating an ONLINE backup of the forum and its actual database.
I also have two backups at home to work with so progress is being made.

The latest step accomplished is:
Restore forum from downloaded backup

This is a major step because this means that no matter how badly I both the upgrade, I can always go back!

Return to “Forum Information & Rules”