exhaust manifold gaskets

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

dgretz

exhaust manifold gaskets

Post by dgretz »

any one use copper or the victor reinz perforated steel gaskets? What is the go to gasket to eliminate leaks especially the front cyclinder on the rt side?
Last edited by dgretz on Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"63" Convertible - Rose "W"
Previous Lincoln's: "00" and "06" LS's; "16" MKZ
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: exhaust manifold gaskets

Post by papawayne »

Since 1995, I have had two sets of manifold gaskets, but both times, I also had to have the manifolds shaved a bit. So far, the heads have remained inviolate. I guess I'm saying that no gasket can do both jobs. Wayne
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

I had an old set of Victor Reinz metal gaskets (#MS15571). I did not use them and ended up selling them to a forum member, as I just mounted my manifolds naked w/ no gasket. (mating surfaces must be flush!!!) No gasket present, no gasket to blow out. Been this way since 2013 w/ out issue.
I dont think you can get these style anymore, but who knows w/ some internet searching. I think new mfg is Mahle??
note: my new manifolds were from Classique and were much stouter than factory ones. Highly recommend if you are needing manifolds.
Last edited by Suicidekid63 on Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Original style steel gaskets are no longer available. I've heard of the crushable type being used by many with good results. Make sure the manifolds and the exhaust ports are both planed flat.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I had poor luck with the laminated/perforated type. Burned through after only a few years of heavy driving.

I bought a pair of the crushable/soft Remflex gaskets. Here's a thread about them.

I have yet to install mine.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I might want to do a search for Remflex myself. I mean, the Fel-Pros are holding up quite well so far, but I know that will not be a permanent situation.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
ravnlinc
Occasional Visitor

Post by ravnlinc »

I have about 8 years on my Remflex gaskets with no issues at all.

Joe
67 triple black sedan
Houston, Texas
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

I have many years and miles on the exhaust manifold gaskets on my '67. They were installed 30 years and 30,000 miles ago. I used the steel gaskets and had the manifolds machined. The left side remains quiet to this day but the right side leaks slightly at start up when cold but quiets down after the engine starts to warm up. That has been going on for several years and I have been wanting to address the issue so this thread is useful.

I'm thinking of buying a new right side manifold so I don't have to have any down time and can swap it in one day rather than drive the hour each way to drop off manifold for machining. The question remains what gasket to use, or whether to install the manifold without one. I'm leaning toward using a gasket and not sure if I will try to track down a NLA steel gaskets or go with what's available today.
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible