Expansion Tank Gasket and ZDDP

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Lincolnlovers
Occasional Visitor

Expansion Tank Gasket and ZDDP

Post by Lincolnlovers »

Anyone have a part number or source for the gasket that goes between the coolant reservoir and the block on a 1965 430? Also, anyone use Archoil AR9100 in place of zddp additive? If so, how long have you been using it and what are your results?
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Couple questions

Post by frasern »

Fel-pro # 35193, That is an old number, it may show up as 10-1177. The flange on the tank is almost certain to be warped, so the gasket may not seal.
I'm not familiar with that brand, but any oil designed for flat tappets will work, high mileage oil is not designed for that. I use diesel 10W30, as diesels still have flat tappets. Some will insist on oil designed for gas engines, with the ZDDP additive, but I like the convenience of it, and have had no problems.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Expansion Tank Gasket and ZDDP

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Archoil AR9100: I don't recommend it. It doesn't appear to identify anything about ZDDP. It specifically says it is not ZDDP.

I would use a product that specifically says it is a ZDDP additive. Please read the oil thread.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I concur. Do not use anything that doesn't state it is a ZDDP additive. That would be like adding "Multi-Use" ATF to your transmission or steering; it isn't "Multi-Use" except in transmissions that use Dexron-formulated fluids, which Type F is definitely not. Stick with what is well-labeled as ZDDP; Rislone's additive is good and should be readily available in O'Reilly. If it isn't on the shelf, they can order it.

The gasket for the expansion tank (it isn't actually a reservoir, as most people mistakenly believe) is also readily available at any parts store, to include O'Reilly. Some offerings have adhesive on one side, to make it a tad easier to install and keep in place while you're wrestling the tank back into place. If their computers do not have listings for the Lincoln 430, give them a later year, like '66 or '67; the mounting point for the expansion tank on the 462 intake remained the same as the 430. But Fraser is right; you really need to check the condition of the flange on the tank before trying to reinstall it. It does tend to corrode and/or warp, thus requiring machining to fill any gaps and make the flange flat enough for a good seal. Use your shop manual to find the torque specs, and stick to those specs when you do the job (you do have a shop manual and a torque wrench, right?). Too much torque can break the bolts in their holes, and too little will cause spraying out of coolant right at the flange point.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

Risolone ZDDP additive. Should be available at most auto stores. I get it at Advanced Auto Parts. Just add it at oil change intervals... Here it is at Auto Zone... https://www.autozone.com/motor-oil-and- ... lsrc=aw.ds
Rob
1966 Lincoln Convertible (White/Black)
1957 Chevy Bel Air Resto-Mod (Anthricite/Black)
2009 Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi (Hemi Orange Pearl/Black)
2012 Expedition EL (White Titanium Tricoat/Charcoal)
Lincolnlovers
Occasional Visitor

Post by Lincolnlovers »

Dan Szwarc wrote:Archoil AR9100: I don't recommend it. It doesn't appear to identify anything about ZDDP. It specifically says it is not ZDDP.

I would use a product that specifically says it is a ZDDP additive. Please read the oil thread.
Dan, I did go through the oil thread and saw someone bring up the Archoil. I saw a video on it a while back on Jay Leno's garage, and they specifically talk about it being a good alternative to zddp. The mention in the oil thread, and the Leno's garage video are from a few years back, so I was asking if anyone had used it, and what their experience/opinion was.
Lincolnlovers
Occasional Visitor

Post by Lincolnlovers »

Thank you all for your replies, advice and the part number. I do have the shop manual, so got the torque specs! I will definitely get the zddp additive.
Lincolnlovers
Occasional Visitor

Re: Couple questions

Post by Lincolnlovers »

frasern wrote: I use diesel 10W30, as diesels still have flat tappets. Some will insist on oil designed for gas engines, with the ZDDP additive, but I like the convenience of it, and have had no problems.
I see that you live in Canada. Would you go with a higher viscosity if you lived in a warmer climate? Say 15w40? I'm in Oklahoma. Generally winter temps range from 30's to 50's winter, to 90's in the summer. Thanks for the part number as well. Much appreciated.
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

I love these forum questions on what motor oil or additives to use. The answers are always interesting and occasionally testy and entertaining. Reminds me of the old Miller Lite "Taste Great! Less Filling!" debate commercials.

I don't pretend to be an automotive engineer, but I do pay attention to those that know more about old Lincolns than me.

When I have asked the question about motor oil of John Cashman he told me to use Shell Rotella T4 15W-40.
When I have asked the same question of the good folks at Lincoln Land, I was told that they use Valvoline VR1 conventional SAE 10W30 Racing Oil with High Zinc.

Right now I'm using Valvoline VR1 conventional SAE 10W30 Racing Oil with High Zinc.

Just passing it on.....
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

viscosity is a matter of choice, I use 10W30 because that's what it used when new, however, oil has changed a lot since the '60s. The Rotella 15W40 Mark spoke of has been recommended before, I may try it. I only drive the old stuff in summer, but winter cars usually get 5W20, diesel trucks run 0W40. Diesel10W30 used to be hard to find here, but is getting more common, I think I'm not the only one using it anymore. If your engine has a few miles on it, a thicker oil probably wont hurt.
Last year we went from a high of 39C to -39C, a swing of almost 140F. Global warming!
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

I dislike additives generally. I use Penn Grade 1 motor oil (formerly Brad Penn) which has zinc in it already. https://penngrade1.com/products/
'66 convertible "The Blue Lagoon"
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Indeed...? Wow, this is the first I've heard or seen of that. I'll have to examine that in detail when I can, see what old API standard their zinc content matches to, and how much it costs. If it competes with Wal-Mart's oil plus the Rislone additive, I just may consider going that route. Of course, that would mean advance planning for every oil change, and planning stuff just isn't in my nature...but, if it's worth it...

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)