'63 Transmission won't shift into reverse

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

'63 Transmission won't shift into reverse

Post by mge825y »

When I first bought my '63 LCC in 2017, it had the "Lincoln Morning Sickness" in that it would only shift into reverse after warming up for 15-30 minutes. So, in 2018, I had the transmission rebuilt and I replaced transmission modulator and the vacuum line to the transmission modulator.

Well, today the car was being loaded at Lincoln Land onto a hauler to come home to me in Charlotte, and it won't shift into reverse. So, they are going to keep it and trouble-shoot it.

I'm assuming that the transmission itself isn't the problem, but am trying to think of other things to check like:
- Transmission fluid level
- A bad transmission modulator
- A loose or damaged vacuum line to the transmission modulator
- Maybe the transmission gear selector on the steering column?

Are there any other possible culprits that they should check?
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: '63 Transmission won't shift into reverse

Post by TonyC »

Well, you know the old saying about that "A" word...and it never rang truer than for me. That said, I have to admit that three years is too short a time for a rebuild to undo itself.

I know about pipes inside that model of transmission that may tend to fall out of place and cause all sorts of wonky shifting issues; but I don't know if Reverse can be affected. Maybe it is something simple, maybe not...but at least it showed itself while still at LincolnLand. Transmission fails are the worst mechanical job on any car, and you don't want to play Russian Roulette via guesswork where that is concerned, based on a presumptive hope for a simple fix (which more often than not yields only disappointment and frustration). I'd say, my advice is to wait for LL to tell you what happened and what needs to happen. They should know that particular transmission as well as anyone.

---Tony
Last edited by TonyC on Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
JCSLOCUM
Occasional Visitor

Post by JCSLOCUM »

Not good news. :-(

Fluid level is an easy check and I'm sure LL did that.

Reverse and first just need pressure to work. When they don't if it isn't low on oil, the pump is usually the culprit. I don't know the insides of that trans but there are lots of moving parts and o-rings/seals to leak or fail.
Jon

1966 Continental Convertible
Eastern Shore of MD
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Check the bellcrank bushings. Verify it is actually moving the transmission's shift lever into reverse.

The modulator has NOTHING to do with reverse. Forward upshifts only.
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

The Turbo-Drive transmission, has two bands and two clutch packs
Assuming the 2017 overhaul replaced all rubber seals correctly

In reverse both the rear clutch and the rear band are applied

Exterior issues - things to check
Fluid level and/or type
Is shift shaft fully in correct detent

Internal -
Rear band and/or servo are not functioning - servo can be air checked
Valve body is partially plugged
Rear clutch pack is slipping
There is an internal leak such that hydraulic pressure is not operating either the clutch or the band or both
And the fluid distribution sleeve in output shaft is leaking

Generally, one would want to work from easiest to more difficult. Least expensive to more/

For a vehicle that has been sitting for months in a shop getting restored. incorrect fluid level would be the most common issue. However, the fluid level has to be checked and added as needed when hot and on a level surface with engine runnning

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Mark, I hope all is well and sorry to hear about the transmission trouble… In Tony’s 65 he had the transmission rebuilt By the same company he referred me to end my transmission has been perfect however his ended up giving him a problem to the point that he swapped to a good original. He was back on the road within a day or so and it has been doing well so far… If there is internal issues with the transmission although it was rebuilt they can either have a Shop go back through it and double check everything or I’m sure Chris has plenty of transmissions he could sell you a good used one… Chris has told me over the years that if it’s not broke don’t fix it and he even recommended in some cases not to have them rebuilt… For instance my 64 transmission really had no issues with it however since I had it out I figured I would rebuild it… Chris was like well to be honest he wouldn’t have done it but luckily I haven’t had any issues… So after saying all this again that’s one option that you have and many tend to forget that these cars are not “numbers matching“ so if you ever did swap to a good used transmission it’s not really going to affect the value.

Just offering some suggestions please keep us in the loop
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

Dan, Action & Jason - thanks for all the intel. Chris and Team ended up pulling the transmission and provided it to Art at the transmission shop around the corner. Art found that the rear band was the problem. He's replacing it and possibly the rear clutch.

I don't think the bands were replaced when they did the rebuild in 2018.

If all goes well, they will reinstall the transmission back on the car on Monday.
Mark in Charlotte
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

mge825y wrote:Dan, Action & Jason - thanks for all the intel. Chris and Team ended up pulling the transmission and provided it to Art at the transmission shop around the corner. Art found that the rear band was the problem. He's replacing it and possibly the rear clutch.

I don't think the bands were replaced when they did the rebuild in 2018.

If all goes well, they will reinstall the transmission back on the car on Monday.
Was kind of waiting with news on this one.
Surprised both bands and all clutch packs were not replaced during a rebuild.
I am taking apart a C6 now (MELinda's pale sister) If you get the transmission out of the car, the rest is not that difficult.

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I say again, it's a fortuitous happenstance that the failure occurred while still at LincolnLand, where experts on that design of transmission could be called up immediately to fix the problem. Sorry for the additional cost, but at least you know you won't be stranded somewhere, and the problem will likely not reoccur for a long time.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

action wrote:The Turbo-Drive transmission, has two bands and two clutch packs
Assuming the 2017 overhaul replaced all rubber seals correctly

In reverse both the rear clutch and the rear band are applied

Exterior issues - things to check
Fluid level and/or type
Is shift shaft fully in correct detent

Internal -
Rear band and/or servo are not functioning - servo can be air checked
Valve body is partially plugged
Rear clutch pack is slipping
There is an internal leak such that hydraulic pressure is not operating either the clutch or the band or both
And the fluid distribution sleeve in output shaft is leaking

Generally, one would want to work from easiest to more difficult. Least expensive to more/

For a vehicle that has been sitting for months in a shop getting restored. incorrect fluid level would be the most common issue. However, the fluid level has to be checked and added as needed when hot and on a level surface with engine running

Action

Good news - the transmission is fixed, back on the car. Test driving was a success as it's shifting better than before. The problem was a combination of a worn rear band and that the rear clutch packs were installed wrong in 2018 by the previous rebuilder. All is well for now.
Mark in Charlotte
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Awesome. So glad to hear it Mark! Glad you have your baby back!
epbendel1
Frequent Contributor

Post by epbendel1 »

I read this post for the 1st time when my 64 convertible which has just come out of rebuild would not going to reverse. My lead shop took it back to the transmission rebuilder who discovered the problem almost immediately. Apparently somehow the filter had fallen off. Once it was reattached the problem went away.

However, I am driving the car in 30 minute cycles to break in the new engine and find that the shifting when the car is cold is very sluggish. Once it warms up everything works fine but when cold it It is having a great deal of problems shifting. Is this something that will go away over time or the or does the transmission need an adjustment?
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

epbendel1 wrote:I read this post for the 1st time when my 64 convertible which has just come out of rebuild would not going to reverse. My lead shop took it back to the transmission rebuilder who discovered the problem almost immediately. Apparently somehow the filter had fallen off. Once it was reattached the problem went away.

However, I am driving the car in 30 minute cycles to break in the new engine and find that the shifting when the car is cold is very sluggish. Once it warms up everything works fine but when cold it It is having a great deal of problems shifting. Is this something that will go away over time or the or does the transmission need an adjustment?

EP - I don't know what to tell you about your sluggish shifting when cold. Sounds like it shifts fine when it warms up. Maybe others that know more about transmissions can offer an opinion?

However, if it were me, and if it runs and shifts good when it's warm, I'd be inclined to leave it alone. Sadly, sometimes the "cure" we seek for these old Lincoln ailments can be worse than the "disease". Just my two-cents after many headaches trying to get my transmission just right. :)
Mark in Charlotte
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

Have you taken it back to the lead shop and asked them about it? They should be able to answer your question. The answer might depend upon what is cold in your area.
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe