Engine Idle Questions

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

marcosalmon

Engine Idle Questions

Post by marcosalmon »

Hey there folks, hope you are all well!

I am restoring, slowly, a 1971 Mark III. The engine had issues but still ran. I replaced the lifter gaskets, and exhaust manifold gaskets. I also painted them and painted the air cleaner. I know its not official ford blue but i like to brighter look. Question is, although it starts right up and runs great, it SCREAMS in idle. Like it idles at like 3000 rpm when before i did anything it idled under 1000. what could have caused this?
Attachments
20211119_175321.jpg
action
LCOC Regional Director

Re: Engine Idle Questions

Post by action »

Vacuum leak
Base ignition timing not correct
Fast idle cam not set correctly
Hot idle speed not set correctly

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: Engine Idle Questions

Post by TonyC »

Forgive me..."lifter gaskets"? Lifters don't have gaskets. Did you mean "intake manifold gaskets"?

It could be possible for an incorrect or misaligned/damaged intake manifold gasket to trigger really wonky behavior from an engine, such as the vacuum issues Action hinted at. Or, elaborating on another hint of his, if you put the distributor back in just a tooth off, that can also cause similar behavior. I've dealt with both recently, so I can verify, even though my engine is almost completely different.

On a side note, the shade of blue you have isn't that bad. Actually, the Old Ford Blue I went with looks like that in pictures as well, but in real sight it blended perfectly with the old paint.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)