1962 Lincoln Continental Transmission Fluid

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

binarybird

1962 Lincoln Continental Transmission Fluid

Post by binarybird »

Hello! Through a series of family transfers I ended up with a 1962 Lincoln Continental Convertible with the accompanying manuals/documentation. The manual says I need C1AZ-19582 fluid for both power steering and transmission. Of course this is not made anymore, but from searching on these forums it seems what I need for both power steering and transmission is XT-1-QF type F power steering and transmission fluid from Ford. However, it seems even XT-1-QF is getting hard to find.

What I wanted to know is if Type-F transmission fluid from STP (or any other generic Type F fluid brand) is a viable alternative to use for my transmission and power steering as it seems its still readily available everywhere https://www.autozone.com/motor-oil-and- ... 811756_0_0

Thanks for any info!
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 1962 Lincoln Continental Transmission Fluid

Post by LC67Vert »

Yes, I agree you can use a genric Type-F transmission fluid and it will be fine.
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
binarybird

Post by binarybird »

Awesome, thanks!
Solid
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Solid »

Or use Dexron III which is the correct replacement. What the endless debates here show is that it basically doesn’t matter, but Type A was a GM fluid and the original Dexron was the non-whale oil based replacement. Dexron III is the correct replacement for Dexron and Dexron II.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

But that debate clouds one critical fact. Dexron in all its guises is incompatible with Type F. Mixing the two, even if one is only residual, will set the stage for a transmission failure, the worst mechanical job on any vehicle.

You will need to confirm what is in there now. If Dexron, use Dexron. If Type F, do not use anything other than Type F, unless you want to pay whatever it costs nowadays for a thorough transmission flush to prep it for Dexron use.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Solid
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Solid »

Mixing one drop will not cause the earth to stop rotating. Anyone who has not done a complete tear down and rebuild of the transmission and the cooler for is even mixing some tiny lingering amount of whale oil base Type A suffix A with either the Type F or DEXRON they're putting in. Nothing blows up despite them being quite different base oils. Assuming that the car has Type F in it is just that - you are basically assuming that the previous owner of your car didn't read the labels on the fluid bottles and put in Type F when they should've switched to DEXRON. I'm not saying I recommend mixing them, but if you are doing a flush and refill it's going to be fine. It's so easy to flush and fill by unhooking one of the transmission cooler lines that it's the right way to do it anyway.

DEXRON IIIh is where the line ends for Type A Suffix A replacements - the later fluids are not intended to be backwards compatible. I'd argue that if you are a purist that if you want the car to drive and shift like it did in the 60's, DEXRON III is the correct replacement. At least in theory, Type F has different shift behavior because the additive packages are different. Since DEXRON versions up to IIIh were explicitly engineered to serve as the replacement for Type A and Type A suffix A, presumably it offers the most "authentic" shift behavior.

I also have to correct myself in my earlier post in this thread, original DEXRON did still have whale oil as a component. DEXRON II eliminated that.
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

I have used Dex III since 2009 without issue. I dropped my trans pan and drained TC and cleaned/reused my original filter. I'm sure there was a bit of residual Type F still present after drain. I just refilled with Dex III and it hasn't damaged mine in any way. Still shifts fine.
Now I wouldn't recommend just dumping Dex III in without a drain of old fluid first. I dont think a tiny bit of mixing is catastrophic, but I wouldn't mix quart to quart.
Dex III is fine for our transmissions, as far as I'm concerned. Running it for past 12 years and all is good on my end.
Just my 2¢ worth.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

My input was not based merely on other posts stating the same thing; it was also from experience. Back in the '90s, when I was still green around the gills with automotive specs, I once made the mistake of grabbing just transmission fluid off the shelf when my grand's Man-Of-War showed a need for a quart. It was Dexron II. After I did that, the transmission started acting all crazy and making unsettling noises that it did not make before. As a consequence I had to have our family mechanic drain all the fluid out and put in fresh Type F. Maybe small amounts of residue of old fluid may not have consequences after all; other posts in the past said it would, so I just went with that as an addendum to my own experience. But why bother taking that risk? Just because some haven't had bad things happen doesn't mean they never will happen. I say, if you want to use a different fluid from what is already standard, do a thorough flush first. And, as others have already said, never just top off with a fluid without knowing what kind you need for topping off.

On the other hand, because the steering system cannot and will not accept anything other than Type F-spec fluid, I just find it pointless to stock up on two different fluids when the one is still easily available at good prices (unless you don't have a Wal-Mart near you :lol: ).

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)