help please trying to locate these parts quickly

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Mr CVE

help please trying to locate these parts quickly

Post by Mr CVE »

I send my new to me 1966 convertible continental. it is a 462 c6 combo
I sent it for it's inspection, so I can be allowed to drive it. it needs a few things before it will pass. I am in Australia which means parts are hard to get or slow, so need to try and find local.
I have 14 days to return it for the final inspection. so time is NOT on my side.

It has a big black oil leak between the engine and the power steering pump, I presume its the front crank seal. anyone know a part number for this ? or if they are common with any other engine ? Sound this sound common ?

It needs the trans crossmember to body rubbers , they are cracked, any ideas ? and how do you remove them ?

the rear leaves, i need front bushes, rear shackle bushes and diff saddle rubbers. Any idea if they are common with newer ford models ?

The rest of the things I can source, they are just pain in the butt jobs, ( c6 selector seal, horn, no power to horn button, rear brake line )

Thanks for any help, or any suppliers that can ship quickly and economically ?
Mr CVE

Re: help please trying to locate these parts quickly

Post by Mr CVE »

just found the front seal may be SKF18546 so will order it tomorrow locally ( hopefully )
but these crossmember bushes, cant work out how to pull them out ( havent removed cross member yet )as i maybe able to match the up with something local, or turn up some nolathene ones.
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

The front seal is a large soft seal, most listings are wrong, it is unlike any other Ford. The steering pump must be removed to install, however, the timing cover can be left in place, unlike most. Check the oil filter and it's housing for leaks first, it's unlikely, but could be the cause of the leak.
Lots of info on here about timing chains, I would change it at this time.
The 4 crossmember bushings are 2 rubber parts, and a metal spacer each. The "L" brackets unbolt from the body, then the whole shebang drops out. support the transmission.
If you have a tilt wheel, the horn has a relay, that may be that problem.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Mr CVE wrote:
It needs the trans crossmember to body rubbers , they are cracked, any ideas ? and how do you remove them ?

the rear leaves, i need front bushes, rear shackle bushes and diff saddle rubbers. Any idea if they are common with newer ford models ?

The rest of the things I can source, they are just pain in the butt jobs, ( c6 selector seal, horn, no power to horn button, rear brake line )
Sounds like you are making repairs to pass the inspection.
There are no newer Ford parts that will work as replacements for anything. Unless just anything to pass the inspection work.
The trans crossmember to body "rubber" or the trans mount if like the attached picture are available. About $50 USD plus shipping. YOu would be lucky to get in 14 days much less installed. I found these mounts listed on Ebay and there were at least 3 listings.

Leaf spring bushings - best just to pull the old ones and measure. Or measure the bushing opening and then order based on dimension. Ordering by application (year, make & model) will not yield good results. Here is a link to a website https://www.polybushings.com/ And getting bushings locally should be better than on line.

Axle to leaf spring perch or pad - find a local spring shop for this. While I am not a fan of poly bushings for many applications. For this one I would recommend a polyurethane rubber. Use some grease as well.

I am a little confused as to the 14 day time frame. What happens after the 14th day?

Action
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Mr CVE wrote:

Sounds like you are making repairs to pass the inspection.
There are no newer Ford parts that will work as replacements for anything. Unless just anything to pass the inspection work.
The trans crossmember to body "rubber" or the trans mount if like the attached picture are available. About $50 USD plus shipping. YOu would be lucky to get in 14 days much less installed. I found these mounts listed on Ebay and there were at least 3 listings.

Leaf spring bushings - best just to pull the old ones and measure. Or measure the bushing opening and then order based on dimension. Ordering by application (year, make & model) will not yield good results. Here is a link to a website https://www.polybushings.com/ And getting bushings locally should be better than on line.

Axle to leaf spring perch or pad - find a local spring shop for this. While I am not a fan of poly bushings for many applications. For this one I would recommend a polyurethane rubber. Use some grease as well.

I am a little confused as to the 14 day time frame. What happens after the 14th day?

Action
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
Mr CVE

Post by Mr CVE »

hi all, thanks for that.
the car is NOT tilt column, so i believe it does NOT have a relay.
i am after the 4 round rubber washers that mount the transmission crossmember to the body. not the transmission to crossmember mounts.

The other bushes will be a case of pull them and measure.

the oil leak, i can see the fresh drip between engine and p/steer pump when running.

And you take the vehicle for it's inspection, you have UP to 14 days to return it for the second inspection and certificate, otherwise it goes for a first inspection again, and they may find a whole new list of things to fix ! :o
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I think the basic part # for the front seal is 3A583, prefix is probably C1VE. All other Ford engines, of every size, use 6700, and parts stores always sell you that one, and it won't fit. The Trans. support bushings look like 6A032, 7, 8, &9. I don't think anyone makes them anymore, so unless somebody else has a listing, you may have to modify some sway bar or strut rod bushings. Tomorrow, I will have a closer look at my parts car used ones, but they are over 55 years old.
By "saddle bushings", do you mean the bumpers on the frame, or the rubber that is sandwiched between the spring and diff brackets?
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

I happen to be looking for something else in the 65 - 72 MPC

B9ME 3A583 A
Power steering pump to cylinder front cover seal
65-69 Continental and Continental Mark III

Action