1949 Steering Column Transmission Linkage

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

swmddo
Frequent Contributor

1949 Steering Column Transmission Linkage

Post by swmddo »

My question is: there is a clip that goes where the arrow is on the picture. It was missing when I got the car, so I wonder how it was even able to shift properly, as it appears it SHOULD be there to ensure the proper linkage to the transmission via the lever arms.

Do you know if this clip would go INSIDE of the this tube OR around the OUTSIDE of the tube. I believe the purpose is to ensure that the steering tube that moves up and down when the gear shift is changing gears stays where it should be.

The drawing in the chassis parts catalog shows where it goes, but it is not clear as to whether it is inside the tube (around the central steering tube) or attached to the outside of the exterior tube with a C-type clamp.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_0056.JPG
IMG_0362.JPG
"It's not a problem, it's a project"

Steve
Woodstock, GA
1949 Lincoln Cosmopolitan Town Sedan
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: 1949 Steering Column Transmission Linkage

Post by tomo »

Steve, because I don't have a good photo, I am going to take a guess. You appear to be missing the clamp that holds the clip in place.That clamp is P/N B-8287-A and goes around the outside of the column to hold that spring in place. The same spring and clamp was used on the early 1949 Mercury and was not used on the later stick shift cars. It probably will not have much of an effect on shifting.
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
swmddo
Frequent Contributor

Re: 1949 Steering Column Transmission Linkage

Post by swmddo »

Tom, I have a clamp that resembles the P/N that you describe. I assumed it had something to do with holding that clip in place. I also have the backup switch that clamps to the exterior of the tube, so when the lever goes into reverse (up) it hits the switch to turn the light on. I get the part this week, so I will try and resolve everything. I will let you know how it all works out. So far, it looks like most of my problem is that unless I have a very stable and sturdy shaft and exterior tube without any movement, the shifting should be OK. On the 1948 Ford that I did many years ago, everything looked to be the same, but for some reason, the shifting action is not as smooth as it should be, IMO.

Thanks.

Steve
"It's not a problem, it's a project"

Steve
Woodstock, GA
1949 Lincoln Cosmopolitan Town Sedan