Oil for ‘72 Mark iv

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Goldstar
Lincoln Maniac

Oil for ‘72 Mark iv

Post by Goldstar »

I’ve read some of the threads on this subject but couldn’t find any definitive solutions. Looking for a simple, easy to get oil for my car that is not driven much or stressed hard. Thinking just about any non-synthetic multi- weight (pennzoil) would suffice but thought I’d run by here for comments.
Thanks
Peter
action
LCOC Regional Director

Re: Oil for ‘72 Mark iv

Post by action »

Use the weight specified.

Modern oil will have a service spec that far exceeds what was available back then.
If you want to get into granular discussion of all of the details of oil there is a thread some where here that is rather lengthy.
And here is a link to API service specs https://www.oilspecifications.org/api_e ... %20rows%20

For hobby cars that see few miles in a year, it is almost a silly discussion as the use will hardly tax any oil. It is far more important just to use the correct weight as specified in the owner's manual. And make sure the level is correct as you are more likely to have a leak in an older ride than a new one.

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
mlj427
Frequent Contributor

Post by mlj427 »

I have heard to use a oil with high zinc to help protect the cam. I have used Valvoline VR1 but I know there are several other brands that work with older engines.
1972 Lincoln Continental coupe
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Finding a motor oil with the correct zinc content already in it (which API ratings would indicate in greater detail than the link provided) is difficult at best; anything with "SH" or older rating is apparently no longer produced. I'm sure I contributed to the aforementioned thread, but I won't reiterate everything here, just that zinc is necessary to mitigate wear to the engine's internals. The removal of zinc was a government pollution-control maneuver, not that it's toxic in itself, but that it tends to contaminate the cores now required by regulation in catalytic converters. That, however, means nothing but trouble for older engines, like, built into the mid-'90s, which could still benefit from zinc additive.

The alternative is to add a $10 or $11 bottle of Rislone ZDDP additive to your shopping list whenever you gear up for an oil change. Every reputable mechanic I've talked to has stated this to be absolutely necessary. Yes, it will increase the overall cost of oil changes...but since the prices for oil changes at shops that sell them have also gone up, it kind of balances out. It's available at any chain parts store, but not at department stores. What I do is get the appropriate-weight motor oil (10W-30 or -40, I prefer the -40) and filter at the department store, which charges lower than parts stores (as for convenience stores, forget it!), then hit the parts store for a bottle of ZDDP.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

^^^ That is a good conversation for (your) a daily driver or a vehicle that is used on highways or with a lot towing or hauling loads.
For the hobby car that sees less than 5000 miles maybe gets up to speed to be at a show and back, the use is just not there.

Zinc with Phosphorus (ZDDP) is a key antiwear chemical but only for extreme pressure contacts like where the cam and lifter meet. Not sure your engine issues are with the cam and lifters Tony.

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Zinc is absolutely needed during break in, after that it is insurance. Is a $4,000 engine worth $10 bucks a year? I use 10W30 diesel oil, as it still has zinc (diesels have flat tappets). Some will disagree, but it is the cheapest and easiest solution for a mid life engine.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Wixomhead
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Wixomhead »

Shell Rotella diesel 15w-40
Wixomhead
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Zinc with Phosphorus (ZDDP) is a key antiwear chemical but only for extreme pressure contacts like where the cam and lifter meet. Not sure your engine issues are with the cam and lifters Tony.
True, that's not my immediate issue with the engine, Action...but I would not doubt that use of zinc-deficient oils without the necessary supplement may have contributed to upper-engine issues I did have in the fairly-recent past, possibly even to the issues I'm dealing with now. Plus, it has been noted before on the Forum that the zinc/phosphorous additive is crucial for older engines; and my mechanic who's helping me with my current hardship issues has stressed its use, not just in the break-in when it happens, but for the rest of the engine's life. Since I'm counting on no longer having huge losses of oil when this job is done, I intend to use it every time. With the costs of typical oil changes having gone up with everything else, it will still be cheaper to just add that to my shopping list every 6,000 miles when the next DIY period comes around. It would be nice to be proven wrong on that, but unless/until that happens, I'm going to stick with that insurance.

(Although I'm still charging forward with Plan A right now, Action, I'm still keeping Plan C, your MELinda, as an alternative option, just in case some unforeseeable show-stopping obstacle yet again comes crashing down on me.)

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

I have used 20/50 fleet oil in my 63 without immediate consequence. Not sure why I have done this. but I have. Wayne