New Defective Melling Oil Pump

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

WaWaZat
Occasional Visitor

New Defective Melling Oil Pump

Post by WaWaZat »

Buttoning my '61's 430 back up and, of course while in there, put in a brand spankin' new oil pump. Went to fire and no spark... long story short, turns out the new pump seized and triggered the failsafe, not allowing the distributor to turn. Ordered another pump (Melling) from the supplier and noticed the defect which is causing this. Called the supplier who went through every single pump they have on the shelf only to discover they're all this way.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Also, my list of specialty 61-69 Continental parts suppliers are all out of biz. Who are the currents?
Mike

1961 Lincoln Continental Convertible
action
LCOC Regional Director

Re: New Defective Melling Oil Pump

Post by action »

You stated the pump was defective and did not describe the defect. What is the defect?
Or post a picture of same.

The distributor engages the cam shaft and the cam shaft spins the distributor
The bottom of the distributor has a shaft to the oil pump. That shaft turns the oil pump.
Your statement of, "the new pump seized and triggered the failsafe, not allowing the distributor to turn." does not make sense because the oil pump does not turn the distributor.

If that shaft breaks or the oil pump does not spin, the distributor WILL still spin because it is the cam shaft is what drives the distributor.
It is the distributor (bottom) that drives the oil pump.

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Sounds more like the shaft wasn't properly installed.

Remove the pump and determine if the shaft is intact or turned into a spiral like some previous poster's was.
WaWaZat
Occasional Visitor

Post by WaWaZat »

I apologize…. I have a mechanic doing this work and I’ve translated the issue wrong.

So from what I understand, the issue with the pump is that when the gearing was machined, it left some imperfections in the gearing which caused the gearing to seize. When this happened, there is apparently a soft metal pin that is used as a fail safe so the distributor will stop.

The update is that the source of the pump was able to reconcile the imperfections and let it run on a machine for 8 hours.

Hopefully this fixes my whoas.
Mike

1961 Lincoln Continental Convertible
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Seized pump designed not to destroy other parts. Got it. Thanks for the update.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Right, one of two things can happen when a pump seizes: Either the drive shaft will twist and/or break, or the retaining pin for the distributor's camshaft gear will shear off. If you remove the distributor (just make sure the engine is placed on compression TDC first), you can confirm whether that gear needs attention.

Was it a regular-volume pump, or high-volume?

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)