Pertronix ignition

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Goldstar
Lincoln Maniac

Pertronix ignition

Post by Goldstar »

Anybody have one of these installed in a Mark IV?
Thanks,
Peter
‘72 Mark IV
Attachments
B7C6A671-AB54-4E05-8A20-106B6912B5BD.jpeg
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: Pertronix ignition

Post by TonyC »

Well, I don't know anyone who has done it specifically for your model and year; but a lot of Forum members have done it with other models. Being that there is no difference in 460s of that period except in details that aren't all that relevant to distributor conversion, you can search the Forum for discussions on the subject, if nobody sees fit to respond directly.

Pertronix can even be used on the MEL engines; so if it works on them it can work on yours. Now, there were some variants of Pertronix that gave troubles; but the latest offerings have virtually eliminated the flaws of the older variants.

I haven't done it yet myself, but I am keeping that as an option for the near future, after the surgery to the car engine is behind me. Everybody, to include my mechanic, has recommended it, so I will eventually heed their advice.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Had it on my ‘67 sedan. Great upgrade. Swapped it in and never looked back. No more bullshitting around with points.
Last edited by LithiumCobalt on Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Goldstar
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Goldstar »

Good to hear. I’m definitely doing it. Thank you both
Peter
Wixomhead
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Wixomhead »

A little late to the party but this is by far the best upgrade anyone can do to their 60s/70s cars. Affordable, totally reliable, takes 20 mins to install, if that, can't tell from stock and once done you will forget it's even in there.

Worked great in my 66 and my 71s.
Wixomhead
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

I know it is a different model but here are my 2 videos for my install. I opted for their plug wires as well. When I spoke to Tech Support they suggested their coil and plugs. I got everything on Amazon

Part 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8YJq7aUOEo&t=6s
Part 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZNeuf1O85w

The video would help anyone who isn't familiar with crimping on spark plug wire ends.

Jason
hotrod429
Frequent Contributor

Post by hotrod429 »

Late to the post, but I have the flamethrower III on my 73 Mark IV. WORLD of difference. It was the biggest single change that made my car finally driveable after YEARS of sitting because of a stalling issue.

Good luck with your project!
1973 MK IV. Finally back on the road :)