Monitor coolant temp, no factory gauge?

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

action
LCOC Regional Director

Re: Monitor coolant temp, no factory gauge?

Post by action »

In a previous job, a co-worker flew to Alaska frequently.

Upon renting a car in Anchorage, (during the winter) he was asked which hotel he was staying. He asked why? They said because you need to leave the car locked and engine running all the time until you turn the car back o us so it does not freeze over. At night we will come over and fill the tank. In the airport (and other commercial locations) everything is plugged in so the block heater is operating

Action
Last edited by action on Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Never buy a used diesel truck from that far north, they run all winter. It may have low miles, but man, does it have hours!
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

The shop manual for '66 says to fill to "a point one inch below the bottom of the supply tank filler neck." Typically when I checked my coolant (cold) it was lower than that. Lately it seems to barely cover the bottom of the expansion tank. The idiot light hasn't come on but it makes me wonder if the engine is running hotter than usual, and if so, what to troubleshoot first. Advice welcome. Thanks.
'66 convertible "The Blue Lagoon"
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

First, I would pressure test the system, it sounds more like a slow leak, or a weak rad cap. Second, replace the thermostat, if no leak is found.
The idiot light may not come on when the coolant is low, liquid coolant must contact the sensor for it to work. Adding an overflow tank may be an option.
'62 and '67 LCC.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I second the last suggestion. An overflow-recovery tank will be a marked benefit.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

frasern and Tony, thanks. Not sure how an overflow tank differs from the supply tank already on a '66 but in any event, I need to keep the engine bay stock.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Most people are confused about the difference; I'll explain it. The supply tank serves the sole purpose of an expansion tank, meant to separate any air in the system from the liquid. But back then the ideas were ahead of the technology, so it would bleed liquid out with any air anyway; that was likely why they were abandoned after '67 (even the 462-fitted '68s no longer had them). They never were meant for overflow recovery. In fact, overflow recovery did not become part of automotive engineering until the '70s. That is why you need a second separate tank, plumbed into the overflow pipe of the expansion tank and with an overflow hose routed from that down the side of the engine.

Two sizes of aftermarket recovery tanks were made, one smaller than the other. You'll want the smaller, octagonally-shaped one due to space constraints. The support bracket can be mounted to the back of the battery tray, then the tank hung from it, close to the expansion tank. I can take still-shots of my setup if you wish, to show you the best fitting. It will dock points in the stock-only category at shows, but it is a bona-fide upgrade to the cooling system, making maintenance checks less frequent...and done right, most people won't even notice it being an add-on.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

The stock system should work as well today, as it did in '66, once you sort out the coolant loss.
Tweak all the hose clamps, one could be loose, look for white or green powder at the base of the rad, that is usually where corrosion starts. But mostly, look for water lines radiating outward on the back of the water pump pully. A very small leak here is easy to miss, as the rotation flings the lost coolant, and the fan blows it away, so no puddle forms until the leak worsens.
'62 and '67 LCC.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

That is a good point; if the coolant does seem to drop regularly, there is a leak somewhere. Most leaks will make their way outside, so that's where to search. The radiator isn't the only place to look; worn radiator hoses, heater hoses, bypass hose, and heater core are examples of other places to look...as well as the intake manifold, as I learned. There are three freeze plugs on the bottom of the intake, and they can wear out and cause leaks. If you see puddles on the valley pan and cannot pinpoint the source with relative ease, chances are you have a leaky freeze plug. Replacing them will require removing the intake, finding the correct size plugs, and changing them out. Also, check the underside of the expansion tank. It can leak at the bottom, where the inlet pipe attaches; not just at the seams at the top. Those tanks are actually quite frail; if you place weight on it, you can breach it at the bottom.

Freeze plugs in the block can also leak. You'll know if you see discolored streaks coming from one. But replacing those is a lot more involved, usually involving removal of the engine first. Last year's rebuild made it easy for me to do that for the whole block...although tracking down plugs of the correct sizes was a bit challenging (but possible).

But, even when all leaks are found and sealed, you'll still have coolant loss just with normal operation. Yes, the expansion tank setup should work as well as when new, but even that was inadequate. As I said already, the expansion tanks then never were designed for coolant-overflow recovery; the ones made today for modern cars are, but not the ones back in our day. Ergo, I stand by my recommendation to add a recovery tank, unless the car in question is a mere trailer-queen that never goes outdoors except for display at shows (not really my thing).

---Tony

EDIT, 9 September: With the attachment glitch remedied, I'm attaching shots of my own setup, as visual aids for my installation guidance.
Attachments
Coolant-Overflow Recovery Tank, Top View
Coolant-Overflow Recovery Tank, Top View
Coolant-Overflow Recovery Tank, Rear View
Coolant-Overflow Recovery Tank, Rear View
Coolant-Overflow Recovery Tank, Close-Up View Of Hose Routing
Coolant-Overflow Recovery Tank, Close-Up View Of Hose Routing
Last edited by TonyC on Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Question Authority!"

CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

This is all very helpful. Thanks to Tony and Frasern.