1964 Throttle linkage

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

washmaster
Occasional Visitor

1964 Throttle linkage

Post by washmaster »

https://photos.app.goo.gl/t9nhWKmaR3sQCTXY9

Anyone have a source for a throttle rod measuring 9.5"?
My new to me '64 came with a Edlebrock carb (AFB style) and a 10.5" rod which I found wasn't allowing full throttle opening. I shortened that one , but not very well. Would like to have the correct thing. Also, I don't like how it just about sits on the bracket at rest.
See photo link.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: 1964 Throttle linkage

Post by TonyC »

That's one of the peeves I have about fitting a different carburetor: Most people do it just for the flash, oblivious of proper application and adaptation. On the other hand, with the availability of proper Carter rebuild kits now in question, I can see why many will think of going the quick route of just replacing the thing with an Edelbrock; after all, the Edelbrocks are based on the Carter AFBs.

From what I can tell, there is an issue with linkage length, but it's not where you're indicating. The throttle lever looks too vertical, meaning the throttle linkage (the adjustable link that is clipped between the throttle lever and the accelerator pedal) has been adjusted too long by somebody before you. I'd disconnect that link and determine how much threading is exposed, then shorten its adjustment. How much adjustment you need, I cannot tell from the shot...but it looks like it needs a good amount.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)