how to fix this coolant drip

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: how to fix this coolant drip

Post by frasern »

It would look a lot worse if I had welded it. Possibly it has warped from the welding, did you check for flatness?
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
bagged59
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by bagged59 »

Stupid me forgot to check for flatness. I brushed on the permatex and I'm like fkkkkk lol. I got that side back together and I'm on the passenger side now. That side wasn't seeping but the gasket was oily in the same corresponding corner.
'59 Continental 2dr hardtop, burgundy, 460, AOD, 9" rear, 4-wheel Wilwood disc brakes, air ride, vintage air. purchased 7/7/06. Restoration in progress...

https://www.instagram.com/paulrosowicz/
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

If that's not where it was leaking, not a problem. I thought you meant that was the leak.
'62 and '67 LCC.
bagged59
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by bagged59 »

all back together. will torque the cover bolts one more time tomorrow then run it and check for leaks. fingers crossed.
'59 Continental 2dr hardtop, burgundy, 460, AOD, 9" rear, 4-wheel Wilwood disc brakes, air ride, vintage air. purchased 7/7/06. Restoration in progress...

bagged59
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by bagged59 »

Great news and not so great news. The great news is that the valve covers are fixed and do not leak!!! Bad news is I think I have a leaky rear main seal. I attached a pic so hopefully someone can advise me if I’m right and how can I fix this?
it drips pretty constant while running. Stops dripping when the engine is off.
Attachments
19639725-A9A4-4850-AA2A-1E8C3EB36AFA.jpeg

action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

From the picture it is difficult to know.

From your description, if it is oil that is leaking from the rear of the engine, that is usually the case. Oil does not get higher than the mating of oil pan to the block. Only when it is running doe oil get above the that joint. The other possibility is a leak in a galley plug or cam plug a little higher on the back side of the block. All will have oil under pressure when engine is running. The attached picture is the best I could find on the net of the back side of a MEL engine on the net. Shows cam hole and to the upper left of that one of the oil gallery holes.

I believe a MEL engine has a rope seal for rear main seal. The good news and not so great news is, that kind of seal can be replaced without taking the engine out. However it is still a pain to do.

Remove oil pan - after jacking up engine
Remove the crankshaft rear main bearing cap. Remove bottom rope seal
Remove upper rope seal - push it out or fish it out
Push a new upper rope seal in. Trim to fit
Install new rope seal in bearing cap
Re-install bearing cap
Re-install oil pan & fill with oil

The chances of scratching that paint work is very high
I have never done a MEL engine and to replace a rear main seal is a lot of effort. Installing that seal with the engine out during the rebuilding process is the easiest to do. Attention and care is needed.

Action
Attachments
R811484f1cfb692324382deeaeb4b7f60.jpg
R811484f1cfb692324382deeaeb4b7f60.jpg (49.02 KiB) Viewed 1092 times
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
bagged59
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by bagged59 »

Thank you for your insight. This is a 460 not a 430 though I'm sure there's little difference. Do you think the seal could have failed for sitting for a few years without running? The engine was built and run on an engine stand about 4 or 5 years ago. The next time it ran was Christmas day 2020.

action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

A 385 block makes the job of removing the seal easier IF the rear main seal is leaking.
That rear main is a lip seal and pushing the upper half out and new one in can be done because it has a metal backer with the rubber seal.

The procedure above is the same
The possibility about the oil galley plugs and cam plugs are the same.

Sitting long periods of time should not impact a rubber seal. Cork over much longer periods would have issues. Possible cork gaskets are valve covers, oil pan and timing cover. However gaskets made in the last couple of decades are far better than materials from 50 years ago.

Action
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
bagged59
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by bagged59 »

Thanks Action. At a minimum the transmission has to come out. The clearances are so tight from doing this engine swap that I'm not sure it'll come out with the engine in place since it went in as an assembly. Not a happy camper today.
Paul

frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

My thoughts are not what you want to hear, but I think the custom angle of the engine installation is causing the oil to sit against the rear seal. same thing with the valve covers, but that's been fixed.
Some race engines use a remote oil tank, you may need to look at some race engine sites to get information, I don't know much about this except it will be a huge job to convert.
Make sure it is oil, not ATF, which would be a front trans. seal, usually caused by a worn front oil pump bushing.
'62 and '67 LCC.
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Here is a pic of the back of a 385 block. (429/460)

Same plugs and basically the same arrangement for the issue you are experiencing.

The transmission (and radiator) coming out would be needed for any engine if a plug needs replacing. Engine removal may be needed in some applications because the plugs are high up on the back side of the block. The smaller plugs are threaded in. (pipe threads) If leaking, tightening may be all that is needed. The cam plug is pressed in. (Usually pounded) However I would want thread sealer on any plug..

I would be upset as well. A lot of work (that has been done once before) will need to be done.

Action
Attachments
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg (37.65 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

As a suggestion while everything is hooked up, you might add some dye to the oil and run the engine to get it to leak. The tear down is going to take some hours at best (maybe longer if it were me doing the work) getting real clear on the source of the leak is important. It would really suck to find out there is more than one leak and you only fixed one. So after the engine is off for some time the source is may not be as clear. If there is a dye leak trail after tear down it makes the job easier as to what action is needed. Even if the leak is small and faint, a black light will bring out the trail. And at this point you are looking for some easy. This would be one way to make sure you get the problem identified and corrected.

https://www.amazon.com/Tracer-Products- ... 5522&psc=1

Action
bagged59
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by bagged59 »

they dye is a great idea. i just had the ac checked in my truck and the shop put a similar dye to check for leaks. makes complete sense while it's together. im 99% sure it's engine oil. i put a cup under it to make sure. it's definitely not ATF. i saw that picture of the engine you posted too.

paul

action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

The dye will confirm it is engine oil. And likely it is.

The more important thing is to know is the source of the engine oil leak.
At the back of the engine there are multiple sources, some of which you can not see while the engine is in the car.
Getting clarity on if this is one leak or multiple leaks and fixing the source one time is key.

Action
bagged59
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by bagged59 »

i found one picture of the rear of the block. i can confirm that at least the one plug has teflon tape. I'm gonna assume the other does too. so it's either the cam or the rear main seal.
Attachments
IMG_3395.jpeg
IMG_3394.jpeg