Standard V Belts

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

jon schapiro
Addicted to Lincolns

Standard V Belts

Post by jon schapiro »

I don’t need them yet but does anybody make standard solid V belts for my 1973 Lincoln? I don’t want to buy those cog belts that look ridiculous. If someone makes them I would like to buy a set just to have on hand.
(Pic missing)
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Standard V Belts

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I guess you just have to look very carefully.

Does Rockauto show pics of the actual belts?
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Have you tried your local parts stores—Napa, O'Reilly, AutoZone? If O'Reilly could hook me up with new timing gears and chain for Frankenstein in 24 hours, they would have to have active listings for all the belts a '73 460 would need.

Actually, I'd nix AutoZone, even if they have listings. I remember their belts tended to shred within a week when I had a 1985 Caprice that had issues with its alternator brackets. O'Reilly's belts lasted much longer on that car; they'd eventually shred as well because of the poorly-designed brackets, but it took them a lot longer.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Farm supply or industrial supply dealers, anyone who sells lawnmower or equipment belts. They have them in 1' increments, but will not have automotive listings, so you will need to know the length and width.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
jon schapiro
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by jon schapiro »

I see Marti’s makes reproduction V belts for Fords. Maybe they have Lincoln sized Motorcraft belts. I’ll find our and update this thread.
(Pic missing)
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

I have not looked at the site.

Most of the time V belts are engine specific.
Since Pony car owners that are looking for OE parts or very good reproduction parts and have no issue opening their bank account, any pony car engine that fits into a Lincoln may be a good source.
The 385 block comes to mind. 429/460

Accessory belts can be different from year to year. However across different models likely they are the same.

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

You can get the normal looking belts at part stores but you usually need to get them to order them.
They've messed up v belts in the last decade or so, it's also harder to get matched pairs now too.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs