Remove a 69 460 fuel pump w/o removing rad hose?

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

MFE
Occasional Visitor

Remove a 69 460 fuel pump w/o removing rad hose?

Post by MFE »

The one piece of the fuel system on my 69 Continental that I haven't tackled yet is the fuel pump, mostly because unlike other mechanical fuel pumps I dealt with back when, this one seems like a real PITA to get out. Specifically is there any way to get the frontmost bolt out of the pump housing without draining the coolant and removing the hose that sits next to it? It seems like not enough clearance to get a socket or a wrench on it but it never hurts to ask. Thanks!
1969 Continental Sedan
Phoenix area
action
LCOC Regional Director

Re: Remove a 69 460 fuel pump w/o removing rad hose?

Post by action »

The shop manual does not state anything thing else needs to be removed other than the fuel lines.

I have two vehicles with that arrangement. One with a 460 and one with a 429. Same block and both have AC.
Have not replaced the pump in either.

I remember replacing the lower radiator hose in the Mark III. It was not fun.

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
vashtsdaytona
Lincoln Maniac

Post by vashtsdaytona »

I did mine when engine was out. So I can't say for sure. I looked at my photos. Yes I can see it's tight but I think it's possible. You really don't have anything to lose by trying, before draining down the coolant
1969 Conti 4dr 460cid
elcad70
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by elcad70 »

Its been a while but I did mine without removing anything else apart from the two mounting bolts. I can recall grinding down an old socket to get a snug fit on one of the bolts and tapping the socket attached to an extension to make sure it was snug.
1970 Mark III Lincoln
MFE
Occasional Visitor

Post by MFE »

I finally changed the pump, and it was a chore. I also removed the main hard fuel line and flushed it out, OMG what a variety of crud and rust!

For the fuel pump, I had to undo and drain the lower rad hose from the engine to gain access to the forward bolt on the fuel pump. "Access" used very liberally because the shape of the fuel pump housing itself prevents a straight shot at the bolt with a socket, and a crescent wrench gets 1/6 of a turn at a time, if I was lucky. Once it was loosened, I stuck a piece of scrap rubber 9/16 hose over the head of the bolt to turn it out pretty easily. I made studs to use for mounting the new pump, and it turns out, a Ford distributor wrench is just the thing for that forward bolt.

It's getting fuel to the carb for the first time in weeks, and the gas gauge works. Success!
1969 Continental Sedan
Phoenix area
vashtsdaytona
Lincoln Maniac

Post by vashtsdaytona »

i am glad to hear it
1969 Conti 4dr 460cid