1963 Lincoln Engine Rebuilding in MN

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Minnesota1970!

1963 Lincoln Engine Rebuilding in MN

Post by Minnesota1970! »

Hello all,

New to the forum and excited to see all the great info here. I have a 1963 Lincoln Convertible and will be looking to have the engine and tranny re-built. Concerned about having the work done right as I've looked for the perfect car for many years and want a shop that has some experience with these engines and transmissions.

Do you have any shops you would recommend in the Minneapolis/St Paul area?

Jim
Attachments
1963 Lincoln 1.jpg
action
LCOC Regional Director

Re: 1963 Lincoln Engine Rebuilding in MN

Post by action »

Welcome to the TLF.

What is wrong with the engine and transmission?

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
Minnesota1970!

Post by Minnesota1970! »

Its the original engine and transmission and from what I know of the car it wasn't driven much in the last 20+years. Its all original with 50,000 miles and I am sure it has one of those trusty nylon timing chains I've learned about here.

Looking to have a complete rebuild for the engine and transmission and ideally run on unleaded gas.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Our first real new member post in forever! Welcome to the forum!

Before you jump in rebuilding things, take the time to read up as much as you can about what you may or may not need to do. We will help you do it right, and help you save money, and maybe even help you NOT spend any money.

You don't need an engine rebuild if it doesn't burn oil and spew white smoke upon starting or blow gasses out the oil filler tube when you punch the gas.

At the most, you need a timing chain (although that may have been done already) and a valve job, but realistically, you can run on unleaded for 20 more years at 2000 miles per year without damaging the heads.

There are a few threads about leaded and unleaded fuels you can search for to read the "debate" about the necessity of hardened valve seats. Any shop can do a valve job, but not any shop can rebuilt the 430 MEL motor. Choose carefully the work you want to do.

Please, tell us why you think you need the work you are asking about. 50,000 miles is still young for an MEL motor.
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

I would agree with the above.

Kind of if it isn't broke don't fix it.
Addressing the timing chain is smart. And engine replacement/overhaul or rebuilding is not needed for that.
Same thing for rubber valve stem seals. Likely they need replacement given their age. However that can be done with the cylinder heads still on the engine. Saving you lots of labor and a few parts.

As to the transmission, DO drop the pan and replace the fluid and filter. But if it is working well, I would not take out the transmission.

The power train as for the rest of the vehicle was over built for the time. (In my opinion) Most of the hard parts will last a very long time, especially if you have a low mileage vehicle. The most wear will occur when you re-start after a long time sitting.

And I would recommend flushing or replacing all of the fluids. With maybe an exception of power steering.
Coolant, brake fluid and gasoline on a vehicle that has been sitting for a long time needs to go bye bye.

Action
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
Minnesota1970!

Post by Minnesota1970! »

Oooopppps. I think I got a bit eager to rebuild the engine/tranny.

Any good shops you guys know of in Minneapolis/St. Paul?

Jim
Attachments
engine pic 1.JPG
Engine pic 2.JPG
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

Yowsers, I guess you did!!

Welcome to the Form, Minnesota!

Great looking '63

Rick
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

When we drove cross country and stopped in Minneapolis for the show, I had to have my universal joint replaced. Jeff Eisenberg of the Minneapolis region club owns Lisbon Twin City Auto, and took care of me. Don't remember what other stuff he does, but he's a Lincoln guy and will be happy to help.

https://www.libsontruck.com/

Reach out to Jeff and see what he can do.
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Lo these many years ago, (1995) I did the usual things to my car that Ron Baker (look him up, retired on a boat somewhere it is warm) told me to do. Including the things that have already been mentioned. Sadly though, I did have to have the transmission rebuilt when It began to make loud screaming noises. Got a kit from some guy in MA, and a local shop rebuilt it. As has been already mentioned, don't go overboard if you don't have to. These engines are tough. Welcome aboard, if nothing else, we can keep you laughing. Wayne
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

your "Many years" of searching has paid out, looks like a great find. I don't know how much of the work you want to do yourself, but at least remove and store all the mounts, brackets, and anything they don't need, to avoid rare parts getting lost. The 430 has it's block milled at an angle, so make sure your rebuilder is familiar with that feature beforehand, as special equipment is required.
At 50,000 miles, rings, bearings, and valves should do it, but a car that idles a lot, could have ring ridges, you will know more after teardown. Check the rockers and shafts for wear, as they can tick, making a good engine sound bad.
Best of luck, and keep us in the loop.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Minnesota1970!

Post by Minnesota1970! »

Thanks for all the info all! Glad to be part of the team.
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

I would suggest that you join the Lincoln and Continental Owners Club. The North Star Region is an active group and know who provides the best repair work in the Minneapolis- St.Paul area. Belonging to a group of people that have the same interests can save you money and help you enjoy your new possession. These cars are more complicated than the cars that most shops see today and do need special treatment.

https://lcoc.org/

Before you accept a recommendation ask if the person has used the shop and did they do the work that you are looking to have done.

You can still do a health check on the engine by doing a compression check. If everything checks out, detail your engine compartment and replace all bad rubber , then re-install the engine.
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
WilliJeep
Frequent Contributor

Post by WilliJeep »

Don't replace the trans filter. Just clean it and reuse. They are hard to find new.

Bill
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

WilliJeep
Frequent Contributor

Post by WilliJeep »

I guess I'm showing my age! They used to be hard to find new. I stand corrected.

Bill