1988 Towncar TV cable help

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

yellowlincoln
Frequent Contributor

1988 Towncar TV cable help

Post by yellowlincoln »

1988 Town Car, having issue with no power past 2nd gear, lugging and sputtering, until I put it in 2 and then it takes off. Fluid is clean. I found the TV cable as per a Youtube video, and the end part of the cable with the rubber block attached appears to be loose and flopping around. I see a TV cable and a separate throttle cable under the throttle body. Is the TV cable supposed to be attached somewhere? According to the video, it snaps into a holder, but I can't find the holder anywhere. Please help, pictures are worth a thousand words!!
1988 LINCOLN TOWN CAR
blkmk69
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: 1988 Towncar TV cable help

Post by blkmk69 »

The TV cable is held to the air valve with plastic clip #EOAZ-7F330-A, they come two in a bag. the better bronze material clip is # F3S27H303B. Nether may still be available from Ford, so you might have to obtain from one of the obsolete part suppliers.

I have a illustration of the linkage set-up, pm me and I'll forward via snail mail.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: 1988 Towncar TV cable help

Post by LithiumCobalt »

If the TV cable flops around for too long, the transmission destroys itself from low pressure. Get it hooked back up and see if it operates normally. If not, rebuild time. There is a brass bushing and retention clip that is used as the service part since the original all plastic assembly breaks. Mustang vendors carry the brass bushings as they are plagued by the same problem.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham