Changing the fuel pump on a 71 Mark III

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Eldorado
Occasional Visitor

Changing the fuel pump on a 71 Mark III

Post by Eldorado »

Unfortunately the fuel pump of my 71 Mark III started leaking, probably because I did not drive the car for a longer period of time.
Now its finally time to replace it and drive the car more often again.

On this car the fuel pump is not exactly easily accessible... especially the two bolts attaching it to the block are very well hidden. I have replaced a couple of mechanical fuel pumps on other cars in the past, but never on a Lincoln.

What will I have to remove to get the pump out? Do I have to remove the oil filter and the lower radiator hose? Any tips how to reach the two bolts otherwise?

Thanks for any input!
Gerald
Gerald Loidl
1971 Lincoln Continental Mark III
http://www.eldorado-seville.com - take a look at my website!
action
LCOC Regional Director

Re: Changing the fuel pump on a 71 Mark III

Post by action »

I have not replaced the fuel pump in my '70 Mark III.
I have in my '66 Mercury Park Lane with 410 and AC. It was not fun.
Similar pump locations for the fuel pump and with AC, similar difficulties.
The shop manual is little to no help.

The vehicle will need to be lifted. You will need a swivel on the end of an extension. And you will be working on your back with arms raise all of the R&R.
Remove lines rubber and steel
Remove oil filter may help but I did not. Same goes for the lower radiator hose. That may help but I did not do that step.
Getting the mounting bolts out and in had some difficulty but the wasn't the biggest issue.
Getting the new pump back in correctly and lined up was he hardest part for me.
Once the new pump was mounted the rest was fairly easy.

If the area is dirty recommend getting that cleaned first.
Good luck.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
Eldorado
Occasional Visitor

Post by Eldorado »

Thanks for your reply - I already was afraid that it would not be an easy job. At least I do have a working pit in my garage, and the engine is perfectly clean ;-) maybe I will have a chance to reach the two bolts with a crow foot wrench?
Gerald Loidl
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Getting to the two bolts was awkward. I used 3/8" drive several extensions and a swivel. A crows foot may do the trick as well. I don't have those.

The worse part was installing the pump because the arm was so long and the AC compressor with the inner fender (and some other things that don't come to mid at the moment PS pump?) restricted movement.

Good luck.

Action
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Well, Gerald, you already have an advantage by having a work pit built into your garage. That's the next best thing to having a lift.

As Action indicated, do be prepared for an involved job. I recommend using a good LED light to light up the area; and remember that you will need American-spec sockets and wrenches--very few metric tools will work on that car. Also, I'm not familiar with 460 configurations; but if my guess is right, you may have some frustration with the fuel pump pushrod, which may tend to drop out just with gravity. That means you will have to deal with one hand holding it in place while you try to locate the fuel pump on the block with the other hand. I strongly advise that you use silicone adhesive on the fuel pump's gasket to hold it in place on the pump, so you don't need to grow a third arm and hand to hold that in place.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Eldorado
Occasional Visitor

Post by Eldorado »

Thanks for all your replies gentlemen! I’m now prepared to wrestle that thing out somehow. I’m sure lots of cursing will be involved and I’ll definitely hate the engineers who are responsible for this :-)
So much easier on my GM cars...
Tony - yes all my tools are SAE specs - almost no metric tools are usable on this car as you said.
I’ll let you know once the pump is changed.
Any preferences for a certain brand of fuel pump?
Gerald Loidl
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

TonyC wrote:
Also, I'm not familiar with 460 configurations; but if my guess is right, you may have some frustration with the fuel pump pushrod, which may tend to drop out just with gravity. That means you will have to deal with one hand holding it in place while you try to locate the fuel pump on the block with the other hand. I strongly advise that you use silicone adhesive on the fuel pump's gasket to hold it in place on the pump, so you don't need to grow a third arm and hand to hold that in place.

---Tony
The 385 engine series does not use a fuel pump push rod. The fuel pump arm rides on a cam eccentric that is bolted to the front of the camshaft sprocket. Inserting the pump arm is key.

As to brand of pump, I don't have a preference. The pump is commonly available. The one I used in the Mercury was from either AutoZone or O'reillys. It is still in the vehicle after 5 or 6 years however it doesn't see much use. Currently the heads are off of the 410. Likely there will be people that have issues with that source. But both offer a lifetime warranty and are very close to my home. If there is an issue EVER I take it back and get another. Almost never any questions asked with the receipt. Taking parts back sucks, always. Mailing parts back that you bought on line sucks more.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Ah--well, hopefully, that will mean a bit less cursing during the operation.

Gerald, if you mean a brand, I can't think of any brand-name preference. Maybe somebody else might have a preference to recommend.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Eldorado
Occasional Visitor

Post by Eldorado »

Today I finally changed the fuel pump of my Mark III.
It took me quite a while to remove the 2 bolts and I had to remove the oil filter and loosened the power steering pump to get better access to the bolts. I installed a Carter Pump which I got from Rockauto.

I posted some pictures on my website about this repair.
http://www.eldorado-seville.com/files/71fuelpump.php

The Mark III is now looking forward to the driving season and is happily idling along with its new fuel pump ;-)

https://youtu.be/wR6rlrs_-Yg
Gerald Loidl
71lincoln

Post by 71lincoln »

Eldorado, was curious as to what fuel pump you installed? I know you said carter. But if you remember the part #? The one I removed out of mine was E209F. When I cross referenced it, it showed me one for a dodge. When I search for my mark iii the one that comes up looks different from the old one.