1969 Mark III Electronic Fuel Pump pressure

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

KRBishop
Occasional Visitor

1969 Mark III Electronic Fuel Pump pressure

Post by KRBishop »

Hello - I have had to replace the mechanical fuel pump three times in a very short period of time. Someone told me the fuel these days just eats the diaphragm alive. I decided to put in an electronic fuel pup like this one (https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/mr- ... /5400317-p)

I recently also had the original carb rebuilt. Drove a handful of times and had no issues. The other day I was having some trouble with keeping her running. When I hit the gas while driving it was bogging down. I needed to feather it to keep it going. When rolling to stoplight, if I let off the gas it would die. Then when I pulled into the garage the carb was just spweing gas.

Not sure the issue was related to the electronic fuel pump, but... Any idea the amount of fuel pressure I should make sure the pump is pushing? Do I need some sort of regulator?

Thank you in advance.

Pump:
1969 Mark III
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: 1969 Mark III Electronic Fuel Pump pressure

Post by Suicidekid63 »

Before replacing with a quieter rotary fuel pump, I used to run an Airtex pump #AIX-E8012S with a free flow rate of 30gph and maximum pressure of 9psi. Worked fine for many years, but was loud, so I swapped out with a rotary style. MUCH quieter.
Mount as close to fuel tank as possible. Mine runs all the time, but you can switch it, if that's your preference.
Also, original mech pump is still mounted, too. I assume my push rod is wore, but have never checked it out. ??
Electric pump completely stopped my vapor lock issues.
I can look for the model of the new rotary style I installed, if you want. Not at home, but can post up later.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
KRBishop
Occasional Visitor

Post by KRBishop »

Suicidekid63 wrote:I can look for the model of the new rotary style I installed, if you want. Not at home, but can post up later.
That would be great. Thank you
1969 Mark III
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

I dont have the parts box, but I'll crawl under tonight and see if I can get some #'s off the EFP, itself.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

No luck, man. The only sticker I see is a directional indicator. It is a vertical mount w/ separate mount bracket, though. I'm sure an internet search of this type of EFP within psi range will bring up several suppliers/ brands.
KRBishop
Occasional Visitor

Post by KRBishop »

Would anyone happen to know of a good fuel pressure regulator to use? One that does not have the port to return fuel to the tank?
1969 Mark III
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Normally I'm not an advocate of fitting an electric pump into a car not originally designed for one; but I can understand the reason you are going that route. Three replacements in short periods is frustrating, and even more so considering the location of the original pump--not to mention the fact that those pumps were never designed to be disassembled and repaired like the Carter pumps on Y-blocks. Fortunately, at least there are pressure regulators to keep electric pumps from blowing out the innards of a carburetor with their normally-much-higher pressure output.

However, I do have a concern that you really need to consider: Electric pumps need to be wired up to be cut off in the event of a collision, otherwise you will wind up with an inferno. Mechanical pumps will quit when the engine quits, but electric pumps will continue pushing fuel even after the engine stops after impact, without some sort of safety cut-off installed. Factory-built systems have sensors of sorts to kill power to electric pumps as soon as they sense a heavy impact, as a safety system to prevent fires--along with a trip switch usually located in the rear compartment of the vehicle to reset the circuit. I'm not sure what the aftermarket offers in safety-kill systems, but I suspect that they are separately sold and not part of any electric-pump add-on kit. I strongly advise that you look into finding and getting one, if possible--Mark IIIs aren't that common anymore, and it would be tragic to lose one in a fire.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
JimA
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by JimA »

X2 on TonyC on the inertia cut off switch. I installed one one my '78 Continental. Here's a post on a project thread that gives the part numbers. I watched a guy burn up at a drag strip when an exploding flywheel severed the fuel line being fed by an electric pump. Don't know if an inertia switch would have saved him but collisions are much more common that exploding flywheels.
There is a plan to solve the fuel vaporization problem. An Edelbrock electric fuel pump http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-1791 will be installed by the fuel tank. A Ron Francis relay/inertia switch http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rfw-cr92 will be installed in the trunk.
Here's a link to the project thread if interested. https://www.tiresmoke.org/viewtopic.php ... tia#p11642

BTW, this in-line pump did NOT solve the vaporization problems. Had to install in in-tank pump with by-pass regulator to beat the vaporization.

I have that hardly-used inline pump if anyone want's it at half price.
1978 Continental Coupe
521 Stroker -- SOLD :-(
blkmk69
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by blkmk69 »

Had to replace the original pump and at that time was able to get an exact Carter pump, that was a duplicate to the original. That was well over 10 years ago and the replacement pump seems fine not affected by today's ethanol fuel. Suppose the replacement Carter pump, that now shows up on Rockauto as part # M6878 can't handle the alcohol?

I run a Carter pump on my non-Lincoln daily driver but it has a return loop. The pump is mounted next to the tank and there is a "T" fitting to the output line that connected to a short return line. Inside is a Holley jet to meter the correct amount of fuel to maintain the necessary fuel pressure.