Connie is kicking my a**

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

danleblanc
Occasional Visitor

Re: Connie is kicking my a**

Post by danleblanc »

papawayne wrote:We drive through St George NB because your town is very much like our town. We love the Maritimes. Wayne
Next time you're in the area, shoot me a message!
Dan LeBlanc

1977 Continental in Town Car trim
1977 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Will do! You too! Wayne
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

danleblanc wrote:It's obvious from the side on photo that I need rear springs also. When the car was in the barn on the gravel floor, the driver's side of the rear axle was sitting down compressing the passenger side. Sat like that from 2002-2017, so the damage is done. I looked underneath and saw that there are raising blocks in the coils, so the spring was troublesome to begin with.

I looked at Eaton Detroit Spring. I see they have a standard duty and a heavy duty. When I get to that point, should I go standard or heavy? Any other games in town other than Eaton? $190 for a pair of springs seems steep.
If it were me and I am keeping the car because I want it and not flipping, I would go with the HD springs. Ford (Lincoln and Mercury too) used a half a dozen spring sets for each model depending on options. Like AC added weight up front so the front spring set would be 100 pounds greater than a non-AC vehicle. In reality those narrow spring ratings are not really recognized today. However vehicles like senior citizens tend to gain weight. Changing to HD springs mitigates extra load. In addition an HD spring will hold the ride height longer.

As far as vendor, likely there are hundreds. Most springs can be ordered based on dimensions. I have used ATS springs out of Pa. in the past. They are as good as any. For leaf springs get the shackles and nuts. For coil springs get the rubber insulator. Nothing like replacing springs and then is squeaks. As to price, I will let you sort that one out.

BTW spring of all flavors are only good for 20 to 30 years n my opinion. It is one of the things I do when buying a classis is replace the springs after doing all of the other maintenance. After 20 or 30 years of use or non-use some sag will occur. Much of the time sag is not noticeable. Especially if sagging is equal on all four corners. However ride height is an engineered thing. Change the height up or down and it is very possible to change some handling aspect. Restoring at least the original ride for decades old technology at least gets the vehicle handling like it was new. Which is nothing like today's suspension technology.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
danleblanc
Occasional Visitor

Post by danleblanc »

I had been leaning toward HD springs, but was worried about compromising ride quality. I don't want it to feel like a Mustang.
Dan LeBlanc

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

danleblanc wrote:I had been leaning toward HD springs, but was worried about compromising ride quality. I don't want it to feel like a Mustang.
A 5000 lb Lincoln will NEVER feel like a Mustang, no matter what you do.

Besides, springs provide height, shocks provide the ride.
danleblanc
Occasional Visitor

Post by danleblanc »

Hi All.

I know its been awhile since I've posted any updates. Well, that's because life has been in the way.

So, I ended up showing Connie a little love over the weekend for the first time in awhile. Installed a rebuilt carburetor, another set of plugs and wires, fuel pump, and some fresh oil. While installing the fuel pump, I stuck my finger in the hole and felt the timing chain and confirmed what many here have mentioned all along - there's a lot of slop. I'm almost certain that the timing has jumped, so, time to go in deeper than the water pump, which, I should have planned to do anyway.

At least it starts now. Small victories!
Dan LeBlanc

Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

Or somebody like my wife who likes to rest her foot on the corner of the brake pedal "just so it's close" if she needs to stop. Drives me nuts but you win some and you lose a lot!
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
danleblanc
Occasional Visitor

Post by danleblanc »

My wife is more like you already have a Cadillac, why do you need this Lincoln? Well, until I say, let's sell the Cadillac and the Lincoln and buy a Lincoln ready to go. Then the tune changes.
Dan LeBlanc

danleblanc
Occasional Visitor

Post by danleblanc »

Well, here we go again after a long hiatus.

I sort of walked away from the car for a while. Sold the 77 Fleetwood Brougham last fall and sort of took a break from the old car thing for a bit. I tinkered on Connie back at the end of March and got it stripped down to the timing cover. That's when I smashed my hand off the water pump trying to get the bolt out for the smog pump and ended up going for x-rays and a tetanus shot. Camping season is winding down so the last couple of weekends, we didn't stay camping the full weekend so I finally swapped out the timing chain. Got that back together with a new timing cover, dipstick tube, and water pump, new hoses and belts, and had the carburetor rebuilt and back on. Started it up last night for the first time and man, it was some smooth running for the couple of minutes I had it running.

Tonight, I'll fill the cooling system, set the idle, check the timing and that should pretty much take car of the engine.

Next up, will be to change the gas tank, rear shocks and springs, and I should be able to take it up under the road under its own power.
Dan LeBlanc

danleblanc
Occasional Visitor

Post by danleblanc »

Well, here we go again after a long hiatus.

I sort of walked away from the car for a while. Sold the 77 Fleetwood Brougham last fall and sort of took a break from the old car thing for a bit. I tinkered on Connie back at the end of March and got it stripped down to the timing cover. That's when I smashed my hand off the water pump trying to get the bolt out for the smog pump and ended up going for x-rays and a tetanus shot. Camping season is winding down so the last couple of weekends, we didn't stay camping the full weekend so I finally swapped out the timing chain. Got that back together with a new timing cover, dipstick tube, and water pump, new hoses and belts, and had the carburetor rebuilt and back on. Started it up last night for the first time and man, it was some smooth running for the couple of minutes I had it running.

Tonight, I'll fill the cooling system, set the idle, check the timing and that should pretty much take car of the engine.

Next up, will be to change the gas tank, rear shocks and springs, and I should be able to take it up under the road under its own power.
Dan LeBlanc

papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Good to hear from you! Wayne
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Sometimes a break is the best thing to do

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
danleblanc
Occasional Visitor

Post by danleblanc »

The filling of the radiator didn't go so well. It started leaking badly. Recore around here...$750. New radiator prices are fluctuating between $750 and $1056.

Rockauto.com has an aluminum one for $300. Somewhat skeptical on that but this is a budget build so I may have to give it a whirl.
Dan LeBlanc

TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I honestly hope that aluminum radiator does work for you, Dan. Truth be told, $750 and into four figures for a radiator repair or replacement is a ridiculous price to pay even today, never mind what excuses the world may try to come up with.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
danleblanc
Occasional Visitor

Post by danleblanc »

I should've bought the recored one a friend if mine had last year. Thought oh no, mine isn't leaking. But I've removed and reinstalled it. Disturbing it might have been too much for the fragile old radiator to handle.

I may end up going the aluminum route. This is a budget build of a fun to drive cruising car-not for the show circuit (been there, done that, don't need to go there again). Function over form is the order of the day.

Meanwhile my wife would be much more content if a can of Bars Leaks fixed it. Lol
Dan LeBlanc