Connie is kicking my a**

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

vashtsdaytona
Lincoln Maniac

Re: Connie is kicking my a**

Post by vashtsdaytona »

I should also say 460ford.com is an excellent resource
1969 Conti 4dr 460cid
danleblanc
Occasional Visitor

Post by danleblanc »

I have some good news to report. It was suggested that I do a compression test before reassembling. Did that tonight and WE HAVE COMPRESSION! Oil is flowing freely through the push rods and onto the rocker arms. Everything seems good!

When doing the test on #1 I paid attention to the position of the rotor when I felt the pulse in the hose. Seems to be roughly pointing to #1. I'll take that as a small win also.

As to why the rods bent at this point is anyone's guess. I'll reassemble after Hershey. Hopefully I can find a decent used carburetor for testing purposes. I have a really nice one to send away to get rebuilt but if I still have serious issues no sense in getting that done.

By the way, Hershey starts one week from today. Who's going?
Dan LeBlanc

1977 Continental in Town Car trim
1977 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
danleblanc
Occasional Visitor

Post by danleblanc »

So, after months of Connie kicking my ass, procrastinating on the reassembly, I FINALLY KICKED CONNIE'S ASS!

https://youtu.be/w0zGNlC8uL8
Dan LeBlanc

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

A little bit of white smoke there at the end of the video. Burning off spilled oils?
danleblanc
Occasional Visitor

Post by danleblanc »

Yeah. The manifolds have oil on them and it was burning off. Plus I broke off the check valve for the smog pump, so I have a wicked exhaust leak.

There was no smoke out the tailpipe at least and for the first time since I owned it, its firing on all 8.
Dan LeBlanc

action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
danleblanc
Occasional Visitor

Post by danleblanc »

More like this one:

https://images.app.goo.gl/hNjY2iW9MvhMNECAA

I heated up the base "nut" part cherry red to get it off and it would not budge.

Might have to replace the crossover tube and all (or just plug it and remove the pump)
Dan LeBlanc

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Action linked to the check valve for the 400. Dan linked to the 460 one (improperly, I might add).
danleblanc
Occasional Visitor

Post by danleblanc »

Is there a crash course on the forum I haven't found yet? I tried the image tag, but couldn't get it to work, so I posted the url instead.
Dan LeBlanc

TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

If you meant that you tried to add a picture, there shouldn't have been that much of a problem (unless the gremlins in the Forum kept booting you off). First, go to the "Upload Attachment" tab, select a picture from your computer (if the one you want is on a web site, you'll want to download it to your computer first), caption it if you want, then hit "Add the file." It's easy unless, as I pointed out, the Forum gremlins keep kicking you off, forcing you to log back in over and over and over. Then it gets really frustrating.

But it's good to hear that you are finally gaining the advantage over Connie :handgestures-thumbupleft: . It's a really satisfying feeling, innit?

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
danleblanc
Occasional Visitor

Post by danleblanc »

It is a good feeling. I developed my shopping list this morning for her. But, seeing as how I have no parts on hand, and it was a long weekend and my chores were done, I decided to break out the buffer and see what was under all that oxidation on the paint. When the car was painted in 2002, they got the black Diamondfire a bit off (too light) but will be ok for now.

A little shine coming through:
20190701_122706-2016x1134.jpg
Front fender, park lamp housing, front bumper corner, and wheelhouse mouldings done:
20190701_134715-2016x1134.jpg
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Nice job on the buffing! I just noticed that there are two of you now from St George on this forum. Are you building a nest of Lincoln owners like we did here in St George? Wayne
danleblanc
Occasional Visitor

Post by danleblanc »

Wayne, I can honestly say that through all my travels in Maine, I've never heard of St. George. I looked it up on a map, and see you're on the coast by Thomaston. We've stopped at Applebees in Thomaston many times on our travels down Rt.1.
Dan LeBlanc

papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

We drive through St George NB because your town is very much like our town. We love the Maritimes. Wayne
danleblanc
Occasional Visitor

Post by danleblanc »

It's obvious from the side on photo that I need rear springs also. When the car was in the barn on the gravel floor, the driver's side of the rear axle was sitting down compressing the passenger side. Sat like that from 2002-2017, so the damage is done. I looked underneath and saw that there are raising blocks in the coils, so the spring was troublesome to begin with.

I looked at Eaton Detroit Spring. I see they have a standard duty and a heavy duty. When I get to that point, should I go standard or heavy? Any other games in town other than Eaton? $190 for a pair of springs seems steep.

The tire on the passenger side rear is one of the original winter tires that the owner bought with the car on the invoice. The tire on the driver's rear and spare tire are the factory tires. Only the front tires have been replaced. The odometer shows just over 15000 miles, the engine internals say 15000 miles (zero, and I mean ZERO sludge anywhere and clean as a whistle), carpets and upholstery say 15000 miles, but the brake pedal rubber is worn on the corner nearest the gas pedal. So it's either 115000 miles (not sure how that would be possible with original tires still present) or 15000 miles of short stop and go trips.
Last edited by danleblanc on Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan LeBlanc