I tuned my Edelbrock 1406

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

JimA
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: I tuned my Edelbrock 1406

Post by JimA »

I also am using an air/fuel ratio (AFR) gauge to tune the carb on my 521 stroker with 750 CFM QuickFuel carb. Before that process was started, the original jets were replaced with larger ones to get it running smoothly. Did the AFR tuning because I wasn't satisfied with the performance: 9.0 seconds in the 1/8th mile.

I mounted the AFR gauge, along with fuel pressure and vacuum gauges in front of the windshield. A buddy made videos so we could review the results. A webcam monitored the secondaries openings. Initial runs showed it was way lean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOYkjht20JA

After changes to jets, power valve, and power valve restrictions it ran 8.6 ET in the 1/8th and 13.61 in the 1/4.

https://youtu.be/fXkOFB2h6J0

Its still lean at WOT but going to larger secondary jets has no effect. A secondary metering block with power valve is on order to replace the secondary metering plate.
1978 Continental Coupe
521 Stroker -- SOLD :-(
Rick Crunelle
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: I tuned my Edelbrock 1406

Post by Rick Crunelle »

Just to update... Since I made the changes to the carb setting several months ago, it has been running great. No pinging issues, and the plugs look perfect. I haven't seen the increase in MPG that I'd hoped for, but most of my driving is mixed street/highway. I'm planning a trip to Vegas this spring, so I expect that I'll see some improvement in the highway MPG as I blaze across the desert.

But let's be honest, I'm not driving this car for the MPG. I'm just happy that it has been running so well.

And Dan468... there are no idle circuits in the secondaries.
Rick

1963 LCC