62 - Transmission fluid leak at shift linkage

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Solid
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 62 - Transmission fluid leak at shift linkage

Post by Solid »

Yeah, it is not present in the new replacement seal however. Attempting to reuse the old one was fraught with peril, as it refused to stay in the U. As such, it seemed highly probable that it would pop loose while I was pushing the seal into place and get pinched, which you cannot possibly see from under the car, and that would almost guarantee a leak. I fit the seal around the shaft and found that it had a very tight and uniform fit, and that it also fits very tightly in the casting, so hopefully it will hold. Since it is not under any meaningful pressure, I think it will be safe. Once I deal with my driveshaft situation and get it back on the road, I'll report back on whether it leaks.
Last edited by Solid on Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReijerLincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by ReijerLincoln »

Solid, thanks for another excellent write-up. You're putting out a lot of these lately. Cheers!
1964 Lincoln Continental sedan

http://bigfancycar.blogspot.nl/
Solid
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Solid »

I refilled the transmission tonight after doing my driveshaft work, and so far no leaks. I'll check again tomorrow evening after it is parked overnight in the garage. It shifts way better with the new transmission fluid in it, there is no comparison. Shifts are smoother and faster, engagement after selection is quicker, and it gets off the line much more aggressively now. One slight surprise was how much transmission fluid it took. I put in 6 quarts and I might need to top it up just a little bit more, I didn't really think I'd gotten near that out of it.

Here is the transmission fluid I used:
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=52&pcid=9
Solid
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Solid »

No leaks after a couple days and driving it about 4 miles at up to about 45mph, so it looks like the absence of that spring reinforcement for the o-ring is not fatal.
Conv61Canada
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Conv61Canada »

Thanks for the writeup!

I plan to tackle this sometime next month. I already have the pan off and the torque convertor drained. I'm going to change the rear tailhousing/driveshaft seal as well. I'm getting a leak form the speedo cable drive gear too. I put a new o-ring in it last summer so I wonder if perhaps the hardware store o-ring is not compatible with trans fluid...

Part of me wonders if a little transmission stop leak may have fixed the shift shaft seal leak...not so much wear on the transmission as it is age since the car sat for a while after the transmission and engine were rebuilt.
Paul
1961 Lincoln Convertible
Windsor, ON, Canada
Conv61Canada
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Conv61Canada »

I got the new shift shaft seal from Lincoln Land, and the new seal does have a spring inside it as is typical, and the kit does include the o-ring.

I'm going to do it this weekend. Wish me luck!
Paul
1961 Lincoln Convertible
Windsor, ON, Canada
Solid
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Solid »

Conv61Canada wrote:I got the new shift shaft seal from Lincoln Land, and the new seal does have a spring inside it as is typical, and the kit does include the o-ring.

I'm going to do it this weekend. Wish me luck!
Well it sounds like you won't have it dripping on you the whole time like I did so you've already made your own luck.
larrys 62 53A
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by larrys 62 53A »

I figured out a quick'n'easy way to replace the shifting shaft seal. I brought it to an old-time transmission shop and they did it! No fuss, no muss and the best 300 bucks I ever spent! Try it, it works! :D But, sorry Omar, the guy that did it retired not long after.
Toronto Canada
1962 Lincoln-Continental sedan (mint original) owned since 1999
1954 Citroen 11B Traction Avant (restored by me) Owned since 1983
1991 Mercedes 190E (daily driver)
1960 Saab 93F- owned since 2015
1949 Citroen 11BL Traction Avant owned since 2015 -a work in progress
Conv61Canada
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Conv61Canada »

Well, the lift definitely helps, as does numbering the tubes with a sharpie and taking pics of it as you go. However, lots of fluid still got everywhere each time I popped a tube out :)

It wasn't really that bad. Of course, until it is running down the road you never know!

Interestingly, the shift shaft seal I removed from the transmission did NOT have a spring it in it. However, the replacement did. I am guessing that some of the replacements out there are not as good as they should be and this is what I had in mine. Both the kick-down shaft and the shift shaft feel slightly tighter now so the seals are definitely better than what I removed. I think this is a case where the $15 from Lincoln Land was well worth it because the seal seems better quality and it included the o-ring for the kick-down shaft too.
Paul
1961 Lincoln Convertible
Windsor, ON, Canada
burnski
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by burnski »

Solid wrote: And since I haven't seen it posted much and it is the rarest of birds, the transmission filter:
The attachment IMG_0297.jpg is no longer available
The attachment IMG_0299.jpg is no longer available
is that your original filter? the one in my 64 looked like this:
Attachments
PCA filter.jpg
Pat
Bagged 1964 Lincoln Continental
My Air Ride Install, My FiTech EFI Install
Solid
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Solid »

Yeah that was the original filter. Where did you get the furry one? I see the NOS box there, I’ve just never seen a filter like that before. I guess I can imagine the fur is there is to grab hold of random particulates.
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Or maybe create some random particulates? I've never seen anything except bare metal. I thought it was a stuffed toy at first. I'll be the first to confess a willingness to learn! Wayne
burnski
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by burnski »

Solid wrote:Yeah that was the original filter. Where did you get the furry one? I see the NOS box there, I’ve just never seen a filter like that before. I guess I can imagine the fur is there is to grab hold of random particulates.
that NOS furry one belongs to someone else who shared the pic in a FB group - however it is identical to the OEM one found in my 64:
FB_IMG_1467918856970.jpg
The part number on the box of that NOS one is the part number listed in the MPC as the replacement for 61-64. So either they changed the design and didnt change the part number, or your steel one is a non-OEM replacement that was available at some point in time back in the day.
Pat
Bagged 1964 Lincoln Continental
My Air Ride Install, My FiTech EFI Install
Solid
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Solid »

Well that's interesting. I wonder how washable that material is. I'd guess the fibers aren't going to screw up the behavior of the friction material or Ford would never have done the design that way. It looks surprisingly coarse too, I'm not sure what kind of wear materials it would really grab - I would think that such a loose material would only grab relatively large debris.
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

That is not a re-usable filter. Nor is it effectively cleanable.

That type was factory correct. And some one has made replacements for big bucks. I would be inclined to use an aftermarket one and change more frequentl.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Trans-Fil ... Desc=0%7C0

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80