62 - Transmission fluid leak at shift linkage

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Solid
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 62 - Transmission fluid leak at shift linkage

Post by Solid »

action wrote:That is not a re-usable filter. Nor is it effectively cleanable.

That type was factory correct. And some one has made replacements for big bucks. I would be inclined to use an aftermarket one and change more frequentl.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Trans-Fil ... Desc=0%7C0

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
The underside off that eBay one is not perforated at all, so that means it can only pickup on the top when it is immersed, which makes it pretty different in function from mine. Is that how your furry one is constructed burnski, solid bottom? I wonder if ingesting fluid into the filter from the top like that reduces the probability of drawing in air bubbles from froth in the system and getting occasional weirdness.
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

May also reduce the chances of drawing up solids that may find there way to the bottom of the pan.
The filter screen should be fractions of an inch off of the pan bottom and an inch or two below the correct fill level surface top.

Drawing fluid from the top side of the filter screen means air if present trapped under the filter screen would not be sucked in. (Because it is solid) And drawing fluid from the top side would be taking in clean fluid.

The same may be accomplished with the fuzzy filter. The fuzz may keep out the air and may trap solids. The issue being, accumulated trapped solids may eventually restrict fluid flow and transmission operation.

In finding both online the metal filter is about 1/10 of the price of the fuzzy filter. I would rather change the fluid and filter more frequently than have extended changes based on price.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
burnski
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by burnski »

That type was factory correct. And some one has made replacements for big bucks. I would be inclined to use an aftermarket one and change more frequentl.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Unfortunately replacement filters for the 61-65 do not exist, so cleaning and reusing them is the only option. The filter you list in the link does not fit the large case PCA Cruise-o-matic.

This auction lists the 63 Lincoln has having the "MX" cruise-o-matic which is the "Medium case" however that is inaccurate. the 61-65 uses the "LX" variant. The 14-bolt MX was only used in 55-57 Merc's, Lincoln's & T-birds, and in 58-70 Ford's (but not Lincoln/Merc).
Last edited by burnski on Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
Pat
Bagged 1964 Lincoln Continental
My Air Ride Install, My FiTech EFI Install
burnski
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by burnski »

Solid wrote:

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
The underside off that eBay one is not perforated at all, so that means it can only pickup on the top when it is immersed, which makes it pretty different in function from mine. Is that how your furry one is constructed burnski, solid bottom? I wonder if ingesting fluid into the filter from the top like that reduces the probability of drawing in air bubbles from froth in the system and getting occasional weirdness.
yup, my stock filter looks on the bottom exactly how it looks on top (im mid way though a fluid change) so I have it out - i will take a pic of the bottom side of it tonight.
Pat
burnski
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by burnski »

So I forgot to take the picture lol.

But I've been taking to fatsco - the only authority for rebuild parts for the 61-65 large case cruise-o-Matic. Few things I've learned. There's some discussion about which and when to change from one type of ATF to another. The argument had always been that it depends on if / when your Trans was rebuilt due to the clutch material. This isn't actually the case.

Originally these trans used bronze friction discs between the clutches with the original Type A Suffix A ATF.

Trans rebuilds use a steel friction disc between the clutches, at which point you switch to Dexron III.

Well I found a ATF that is both Type A Suffix A and Dexron III, sooooo it really doesn't matter whether your Trans had been rebuilt since either way it'll use the same ATF.
Attachments
IMG_20180814_182459-1036x1842.jpg
IMG_20180814_182454-1036x1842.jpg
Pat
Wilmer
Occasional Visitor

Post by Wilmer »

Solid,
I will replace the seals on my -63 coming weekend so your write up will be very handy, thanks!

I also have the same issue as you described below. Left her idling in Park, went out to open the garage door and when i walked pass the front bumper, she puts herself into reverse. That was a close call on the wife's cars front fender.
Can you please elaborate on these centering springs? Cant find any springs on the linkage, prob mine are missing as well. Checked the factory manual but i can't find any info.
The neutral safety switch on the steer column got a spring in it, took the switch off temporarily and that helps, she stays in Park.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Solid wrote:I completed reassembly, here are a few notes for anyone doing it.
With all said and done, you can put the filter back on, and re-attach the linkages on the outside of the transmission. Take care to insert the centering springs into the shift and kick down tubes for the linkages, or they have a tendency to pop off and cause abnormal shift characteristics. I didn't realize that both were missing from my car. In my case that caused the car to shift into reverse while idling in park and try to drive out of my garage once, so the centering springs are not optional.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I think that is just a fluke of luck. The spring in the neutral switch does not have the strength to shift the lever out of PARK...and messing with its mounting is bound to give you problems starting up, turning on the reverse lights in REVERSE, etc. Actually, I didn't know that pre-'64 cars had those shift problems. Clearly the cause is different, but the symptoms are the same.

What I recommend you do is get in the habit of using the parking brake. Because yours is a '63, the parking brake cannot disengage if the transmission shifts itself into gear, thus it can't run away. Just remember to pull the handle to release the brake before you try moving the car (I know, should be obvious, but not for many people, I've learned).

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

When the linkage gets sloppy, you can think that you have it in Park, but the trans shift lever did not move enough to engage the parking pawl. Use the parking brake as Tony suggested, even after fixing the sloppy linkage.
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
Wilmer
Occasional Visitor

Post by Wilmer »

tomo,

i think thats it! There is slop at the point where the rod hooks up to the shifter shaft. Easy fix, thanks!

tomo wrote:When the linkage gets sloppy, you can think that you have it in Park, but the trans shift lever did not move enough to engage the parking pawl. Use the parking brake as Tony suggested, even after fixing the sloppy linkage.