SS exhaust quality, should I complain

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

jz78dje
Lincoln Maniac

SS exhaust quality, should I complain

Post by jz78dje »

Hi,

I recently bought a SS exhaust for my 69 from one of the usual suspects, mainly because I was assuming there would be no issues in fit and quality. When it arrived, I noticed that one section of one of the long pipes where it goes up to the manifold is made up of about 4 sections of 4-6" of pipe welded together. I can think of no reason for doing this other than to find a way to use some of the scrap pipe they had laying around.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Honestly, it's not what I would expect from a system that costs $1500.

If I can figure out how to post a picture I will do so.
'69 Continental Coupe
'73 Continental
'73 Mark iV
'84 Town Car Signature
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: SS exhaust quality, should I complain

Post by papawayne »

Reduce, reuse, recycle? Gosh, I don't know, other than it should work just fine, and the guarantee should not be affected. It seems to me though, that all of that extra welding becomes a labor issue that may not be justified economically. Are the welds pretty and unobtrusive or are they nasty? wayne
jz78dje
Lincoln Maniac

Post by jz78dje »

Here's a picture. Note that the other pipe is continuous.
exhaust.jpg
'69 Continental Coupe
'73 Continental
'73 Mark iV
'84 Town Car Signature
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

It's unseen, but for $1500 bucks, I'd expect better. :?
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
Uncle Joe
Frequent Contributor

Post by Uncle Joe »

If I had bought that, then there is no question about it. I would complain. From the look of the way those welds have been carried out, its going to fail very quickly.
I have mechanical aptitude. I can screw up everything!
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Suicidekid63 wrote:It's unseen, but for $1500 bucks, I'd expect better. :?

Agree. It looks like shoddy work for that amount of money. Which vendor did you get this from so it can be a warning to others.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Now that I've seen it, ask for another one...wayne
jz78dje
Lincoln Maniac

Post by jz78dje »

Let me first see how it's resolved before I reveal the name, but let's just say it's one of the biggies. They asked to see a picture and I am sending. We'll see, but I'm guessing they will probably take care of it.
'69 Continental Coupe
'73 Continental
'73 Mark iV
'84 Town Car Signature
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

Funny they want to see a picture. Was it shipped from them or outsourced? Seems even more shady to act like it is news to them, instead of fessin' up to the patch job and just replacing.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
jz78dje
Lincoln Maniac

Post by jz78dje »

So, the explanation I received is that this is done for a reason because there is a lot of bend in the drivers side pipe to maneuver around the steering components and it would be difficult to get the proper bend in the stainless if it were one pipe, and also that this is unique to the 60's models with a 460. To me it doesn't seem like there is any more bend in one side vs. the other, but then again I could be wrong. Any other '69 460 experts out there?
'69 Continental Coupe
'73 Continental
'73 Mark iV
'84 Town Car Signature
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

The bending excuse is just that: an excuse.

However, it is stainless. it won't rust. Can anyone see it when I installed? Probably not. Is it worth the trouble returning? You'll buy another set from someone else and it could be the same.

You could grind the welds down for a neater appearance.

What's their guarantee? Do you want some money back?
jz78dje
Lincoln Maniac

Post by jz78dje »

Well, I guess mainly what I want is to get an idea of whether or not this is how Baker's has always delivered their exhausts, or if the quality has gone down while the price remains the highest out there. If this is how it's done and what I should expect from a top of the line system then so be it and I will accept the explanation even if it is an excuse, but if I'm out there at shows and see that other 69's dont have it sectioned like this then I'm not going to be too happy.

True, it is guaranteed for life, but if it fails I'm still going to need to break my knuckles again to pull it off and return it. But you are right, it is a major pain to have to return it and start over, and I've already been waiting for it to arrive for over a month.
'69 Continental Coupe
'73 Continental
'73 Mark iV
'84 Town Car Signature
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

My guess is it is a cost cutting measure.

PS: my totally custom exhaust for my 66 was $550 in steel.
Solid
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Solid »

jz78dje wrote:So, the explanation I received is that this is done for a reason because there is a lot of bend in the drivers side pipe to maneuver around the steering components and it would be difficult to get the proper bend in the stainless if it were one pipe, and also that this is unique to the 60's models with a 460. To me it doesn't seem like there is any more bend in one side vs. the other, but then again I could be wrong. Any other '69 460 experts out there?
Clearly the technology existed to make the bends in the 1960's. My '62's exhaust is a hack of original sections and new ones, but the original sections appear to have been crush bent. Are the contiguous bent sections on your new system mandrel bent?

I think for the price you'd be hard pressed to have a good fabricator make you a T304 stainless custom exhaust with mufflers you can trust for the price that they charged you, but I agree that the idea that it is too hard to assemble the bends from a single tube sounds like an excuse since the two sides don't really vary much at all in complexity and they clearly executed one side.

If the welds are continuous (IE no pinhole leaks) then I would see if they'll provide a better part or a discount, but at the same time I probably wouldn't get too religious about returning it as long as it fits well. Realistically, unless you have insanely decided to build a "performance" slab side, the fact that it has some roughness and suboptimal flow characteristics from more welds than are strictly necessary is irrelevant.
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

you can buy seamless stainless steel pipe, angels, mufflers, resonators and clamps from jegs, or summit racing and come up with something a lot nicer than that for $1,500.00
Rob
1966 Lincoln Convertible (White/Black)
1957 Chevy Bel Air Resto-Mod (Anthricite/Black)
2009 Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi (Hemi Orange Pearl/Black)
2012 Expedition EL (White Titanium Tricoat/Charcoal)