Photographic reminder to replace your timing set

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

action
LCOC Regional Director

Re: Photographic reminder to replace your timing set

Post by action »

mge825y wrote:
LithiumCobalt wrote:You will need water pump gaskets, fuel pump gasket and oil filter adapter gasket if you plan to remove that in the process. I did this job on my ‘67 last winter and really cleaned things up. I also took off the heads and had new valve seals installed. Stripped and repainted everything. Really cleaned it up nice.
Thanks LC- I checked with Lincoln Land and they have a timing gear cover gasket kit. I’m double-checking to make sure that kit has the additional gaskets you mentioned.

I’m pretty handy and will read up on the job in the service manual. But I have not done this before, and if I try this myself, what are the things that are the most challenging?
The dissassembly is dirty and mildly awkard. The technical part is removing the timing chain set and installing the new set correctly so the relationship between the cam shaft and crank shaft is correct. Usually there are alignment marks (dots) on the gears.This will be shown in the shop manual. Following the shop manual will be best practice for your first time.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Shop manual has most of the steps as stated. Unbolt the hood and place it elsewhere to make your life easier. Hardest part of the job is getting the harmonic balancer off, which you will have to borrow a puller for. Otherwise, it’s simply unbolting and getting greasy. I use plastic ziplock bags to keep my hardware straight. You will forget where it goes otherwise. It’s really not a hard job. You could have it taken apart in a couple hours and that would be going slow. What takes a while is putting it back together especially if you are stripping parts and refinishing them before they get put back on.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

This type of job is highly likelihood of project expansion or project creep.

Well as long as I have this out of the way, might as well do ..... because going this far allows access to many other possibilities.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Take lots of photos too! Assembled, partially assembled and disassembled.
Nick
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

Thanks Action and LC - just got through reading the service manuals and looking under the hood. That’s a pretty involved job and agree that you’d have to pull the hood, the radiator and just about everything else out to have room to work. Charlotte is right nice in the spring. If you’re not doing anything, you’re welcome to come here and show me how it’s done!
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Sounds involved Mark, but it isn’t all that bad. I did this job as a newbie six years ago. Never had I delved that deep into an engine bay. Took me a while since I was going slow and doing many other things at the same time, but still had it done by spring. When I did the job the second time around, just last year, I had the front taken apart in half a day. It’s therapetuic to me so I enjoy it. Popping out the radiator isn’t bad either. Good opportunity to have it flushed out and pressure tested.
Nick
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

The first step is ordering the parts. I’ve checked with Lincoln Land and they have everything. So I’m going to do that this week.

I thought I saw a step-by-step write-up (that’s better than the service manual) here on the forum for the order of dissembly. But now I can’t find it.
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible