coolant overflow tank

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

donblackie

coolant overflow tank

Post by donblackie »

I have searched and read through several post in which a lot of forum members are installing additioanal overflow tanks on our lincolns to avoid the coolant dripping all over our roads. Can someone reccommend where i can buy one of these recovery bottles with special radiator cap? Does this connect to the stock overflow tank on our cars? Can anyone snap a pic of this setup on their car?

Thanks!!

Don
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: coolant overflow tank

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Look in your local autopart store. Some still carry them on the shelf near the battery cables and kludgy add-ons.
stoic
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by stoic »

I have bought several at the local Auto Zone store for around 5 to ten dollars. Their original tanks several years ago had a lid that just pushed on. Pressure would blow the lid off and then it would be gone. Their newer tanks have a twist lock to hold the cap on. I have used the tanks on several older cars including my 71 MK III. It is also important that your radiator cap is working correctly under pressure.
I own a 71 Continental MK III.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I haven't had that issue with the aftermarket recovery tanks. Of course, the trick is to cut the ball off the vent "pipe"--one that is opposite to the pipe that the flow tube slides onto. I put a flow tube into one of the lower fittings, then a second tube to the upper fitting to act as a drain, attaching the open end to the little bracket near the oil pan (where the original overflow tube went).
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
TMaria
Occasional Visitor

Post by TMaria »

I had one of the universal recovery tanks and it worked very well. I put it next to the battery. When I got a larger battery the hood hinges crushed it. I tried to look for a convenient place to put it but couldn't. I looked over at my shelf of oil and spotted a black 1 qt bottle. I tried finding a place to put it and on my 65 there is a place next to the radiator below the battery. I drilled a hole in the screw off top, and inserted the hose from the resevoir down to the bottom of the bottle. Took off the cap and drilled another hole on the sloping top. Inserted another hose and fed it through the opening. I put a small hose clamp about an inch from the end. Pulled it back through the top. Put the screw on cap back on and placed it in the little nook. It works great. It is black so it dosen't stand out. It fills when the car is hot and empties when the car is cool. It is cheaply replaced. Just make sure it stays in the nook. Some cars may need to have it secured better.

Tony Maria