High flow oil pump for 460

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

jz78dje
Lincoln Maniac

High flow oil pump for 460

Post by jz78dje »

Anybody ever install a high flow oil pump in a 460. It states "some minor oil pan modification MAY be necessary." If anybody has done this what are the required modifications?
'69 Continental Coupe
'73 Continental
'73 Mark iV
'84 Town Car Signature
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: High flow oil pump for 460

Post by Dan Szwarc »

What oil pump?

Either way, no. I've not done it.

How does one slightly modify an oil pan? With a small hammer?
7579lincoln
Occasional Visitor

Post by 7579lincoln »

I just went through my 1975 Towncar's engine with a 460. I had low oil pressure for years (only 28# @ 70 MPH) and decided it was time to do something about it. I went to .001 oversize clevite 77 bearings for the rods and mains and installed a Melling oil pump. All from NAPA and now I have over 75 # of oil pressure at 70 MPH. At idle, I have about 62#. The Melling oil pump fits in the pan without any modifications and provides plenty of oil flow and pressure. Now the question, why do you want to install an oil pump that you have to modify the oil pan when there is an easy solutions available?

7579lincoln Harv
Harvey E.
KULTULZ
TLFer for Life

Post by KULTULZ »

jz78dje wrote:
Anybody ever install a high flow oil pump in a 460. It states "some minor oil pan modification MAY be necessary." If anybody has done this what are the required modifications?
What this refers to is a warning- in that a HV pump body is longer- that one may just replace the pump and slam the pan on without measuring pickup distance from the bottom of the sump. The pan may go on but the pickup screen may be flat against the pan sump bottom, resulting in maybe it's showing OK pressure but not producing enough volume.

Whenever you modify something with other than OEM parts (which a HV pump is), you need to be certain of it's installation integrity.
Not A Current LINCOLN Owner -

- Just An Admirer...

MEL DIVISION 1958-1960
jz78dje
Lincoln Maniac

Post by jz78dje »

I saw some more reference that the pan clearance should be 8 1/4", a rough measurement of my pan shows between 8 and 8 1/8". SO I guess it would truly be a minor modification, and I'm sure some do just what Dan said, which is to tap it with a hammer. It's probably pretty easy to get an extra 1/8, but 1/4 is probably a little more difficult. I haven't decided which way to go, realistically the stock pump should be fine and I am leaning in this direction, but since this is a rather shaky bearing refit I'm looking for any extra margin I can get.
'69 Continental Coupe
'73 Continental
'73 Mark iV
'84 Town Car Signature
Slick Fan
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Slick Fan »

You can take your old pump into the parts store & compare it against the new pump. Standing the pump mounting pad (the part that goes against the block) on the flat countertop, measure from the counter to the inlet opening. Compare that to the new one to see if there's a difference.
As Kultulz said, the pump body can be longer. Some pumps have the inlet opening adjusted for that difference & some don't. If the opening is more than maybe 1/4" different, you can buy a pickup to match that pump & be good to go.

Or just stay with a standard pump, I guess. :lol:
----------------------------------------
-Grant

1977 Glass Roof Town Car
KULTULZ
TLFer for Life

Post by KULTULZ »

Another way around this is FORD using HV pumps in the CJ and POLICE versions. They would have required either a modified pickup or pan.

You can either have your pickup modified or have one custom made from a specialty pan manufacturer.

Read this- http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/ ... survey.htm

While I am thinking about it- :roll: -make sure your pan sump has not been damaged or pushed up[/b] from contact with a road obstruction.

- Just An Admirer...

MEL DIVISION 1958-1960
jz78dje
Lincoln Maniac

Post by jz78dje »

That's a good read about the 429 CJ. It turns out my pan is very close to 8 1/4, and I am assuming it is the same as the 429. Also, the high volume pump listed by Advance is indeed a M84BHVS, so putting it all together it should be a good fit. I'll definitely checki it out in detail though.

I think the pan in the photo on that site looks pushed in a bit. So it's probably the slightly larger pump assembly in combination with the pushed in pan that did him in.
'69 Continental Coupe
'73 Continental
'73 Mark iV
'84 Town Car Signature
KULTULZ
TLFer for Life

Post by KULTULZ »

FORGOT!

You should also use a hardened pump drive shaft with a HV pump.

- Just An Admirer...

MEL DIVISION 1958-1960
jz78dje
Lincoln Maniac

Post by jz78dje »

I picked up the oil pump and hardened shaft today. For everyone's information the Melling M84BHVS high flow pump is the same height as the stock pump in the 78 Mark 460. I guess that assumes that the pump in my engine was the stock pump, but no reason to believe this is not the case.
'69 Continental Coupe
'73 Continental
'73 Mark iV
'84 Town Car Signature
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

So the Melling M84BHVS fits a Mark with no issues whatsoever.
jz78dje
Lincoln Maniac

Post by jz78dje »

Yes that is correct, however, given that parts can sometimes be mislabeled or incorrect in some other way I would always recommend checking it (in fact there's a big warning in the box stating this). My comment is more for peace of mind that if you want a high volume pump for your '78 Mark 460 and order the M84BHVS that you are very likely to get a part that will fit without mods. But as KULTULZ says make sure you also order a hardened intermediate shaft to go along with it.
'69 Continental Coupe
'73 Continental
'73 Mark iV
'84 Town Car Signature
jimdog
Occasional Visitor

Post by jimdog »

I've never checked on it, but I always thought that you needed a 6 qt. pan for the HV pump so it doesn't run out of oil.
Aren't the CJ pans 6 qts?
jz78dje
Lincoln Maniac

Post by jz78dje »

Melling claims that the pump running dry due to lack of volume is a myth, and that there's plenty of volume in a stock pan to handle 20-25% more flow.
'69 Continental Coupe
'73 Continental
'73 Mark iV
'84 Town Car Signature
JimA
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by JimA »

I know this is an old thread but its on target for my question and I'm seeing a different situation that I think should be added here.

The M84BHVS pump, that fit jz78dje's pan, must be used with a 8 1/8" deep sump. My '78 Continental coupe has an 8 5/8" deep sump. RockAuto lists the same pan for the '78 Mark V and the '78 Continental 460s so I'm not sure why our pans are different.

I ordered a M84EVHS http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MEL-M84EHVS from summit. That pump must be used with an 8 5/8" deep sump like mine. The pick up on that pump reaches the same depth as my original pump but the pick up is 3/4-1" further toward the rear and hits the back of the sump. Anyone know if there's a HV pump with a pickup that will fit the shorter, 8 5/8" deep sump?
1978 Continental Coupe
521 Stroker -- SOLD :-(