Fuel Draining Back? NO!

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Mike-Casella
Lincoln Maniac

Re: Fuel Draining Back? NO!

Post by Mike-Casella »

NicSanford wrote:Are there EFP's that stop fuel from passing backwards through it?
Most electric pumps will not alow fuel to go backwards. It's the design of the internal valves that keep that from happening.
NicSanford
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by NicSanford »

Mike-Casella wrote:
NicSanford wrote:Are there EFP's that stop fuel from passing backwards through it?
Most electric pumps will not alow fuel to go backwards. It's the design of the internal valves that keep that from happening.
Thanks, Mike. Perhaps there's a way to rebuild the original MFP with a rubber gasket in place of the diaphragm for those who want this kind of configuration? I was just thinking it would be a cool option for the people sending in their units for a rebuild. I'd imagine that either cutting a gasket, unless one can be found that fits right, would add a little to the cost. It would surely be nice for those wanting to maintain the original appearance to have a rebuild option like this from Then & Now...
Nic Sanford - Food Truck Owner / Musician / Singer / Songwriter / Producer / Internet & Media Professional / Lincoln Lover
1961 Lincoln Continental
http://www.TurtleIslandGrille.com
Mike-Casella
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Mike-Casella »

My question to that would be why would anyone want to totally disable the mechanical pump and have to depend solely on the electric one. It just doesn't seem like it would be a good choice. I can, and have done most anything with mechanical fuel pumps, including what you are suggesting, but that is usually done when a pump is in such bad condition that it would never be able to pump fuel due to corrosion etc. and there are no other options.
NicSanford
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by NicSanford »

You're right, it might not work for everybody, but would work for my needs. For me, I'd rather modernize every system in the car without compromising the originality of appearance and performance. I took some time reading over this entire thread lastnight, and with as many people experiencing these issues, it would be cool just to cut to the chase, and provide a fool proof solution, rather than carry on with the same conversation that's been beaten like a dead horse. I guess I'm just thinking long term, as the quality of fuels continue to change, the fuel issue will only get worse. I figure it would also be a nice addition to your rebuild services, for those in my position...
Nic Sanford - Food Truck Owner / Musician / Singer / Songwriter / Producer / Internet & Media Professional / Lincoln Lover
1961 Lincoln Continental
http://www.TurtleIslandGrille.com
Mountain Pilot
Occasional Visitor

Post by Mountain Pilot »

Which ever way you go if you add an electric pump make sure you have an impact/overturn switch installed and an oil pressure switch that kills the pump if the engine stalls... These are necessary for passenger and car safety or your car may end up looking like this, he did not install safety devices...
Attachments
CF Corvair fire left front.JPG
Richard Cutter
Monte Vista, Colorado USA
- 1978 Mark-V - 1990 Jaguar - 1987 Fiero and Three Corvairs -
navguy12
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by navguy12 »

Which ever way you go if you add an electric pump make sure you have an impact/overturn switch installed and an oil pressure switch that kills the pump if the engine stalls... These are necessary for passenger and car safety or your car may end up looking like this, he did not install safety devices...
Here is where I built a module tied to the low oil pressure light and an inertial cut-off switch:

http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... =1&t=34628
Spot
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Spot »

I suppose that autostick has installed a electronic fuel pump (EFP) in-line with the mechanical one (MFP).
So does the EFP work like a check valve when it is switched off ? From the point of view of the MFP, there is no big resistance through the EFP ?

I'm also considering to use a EFP as a booster just for priming the carb.

Would like to know if this works.

Greetings
'Spot
1977 Lincoln Continental Coupe (unrestored survivor in Dark Red Moondust)
I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve.
Let the chips fall where they may !
(Tyler Durden, Fight Club)
navguy12
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by navguy12 »

So does the EFP work like a check valve when it is switched off ?
To the best of my memory, it did not........
Johnny008

Post by Johnny008 »

My 63 wouldn't start after sitting for 3 days or more. I switched to an electric fuel pump, pump the pedal 10 times and it fires right up even sitting for weeks. Prior to that, it never got enough fuel in the carb and the fuel in the bowls would evaporate, so I had to pull the air cleaner off and watch the fuel enter the carb prior to starting....what a PITA.
Johnny008

Post by Johnny008 »

Go with the EFP....best thing I did to my 63. I left the mechanical in place and just wires up a low pressure in line EFP. Car runs perfect and no hesitation.

Spot wrote:I suppose that autostick has installed a electronic fuel pump (EFP) in-line with the mechanical one (MFP).
So does the EFP work like a check valve when it is switched off ? From the point of view of the MFP, there is no big resistance through the EFP ?

I'm also considering to use a EFP as a booster just for priming the carb.

Would like to know if this works.

Greetings
'Spot
Johnny008

Post by Johnny008 »

I put a stronger spring on also and have had zero start issues. :D
BenderJ wrote:I was having the same issue with starting - crank, crank, crank, then finally it starts (or give it a shot of starting fluid to start).

After reading through this post, I decided on an Airtex E8012S as a "booster" pump. I mounted the pump near the gas tank, ran the wires up to the underside of the dash, and installed a momentary push-button switch. All was good - It started after running the pump for a bit!

Even before I installed the pump, I noticed that my car would not idle down. I checked the all the linkage and found that my return accelerator spring was pretty weak. I always had to either "lift up" on the gas pedal, or manually return/pull the linkage near the carb. ** This was easy to do since the hood is still not on since I'm working out all the bugs/issues after I've rebuilt everything **

Well, just after I installed the pump, I decided to replace the return-spring. I found a new replacement spring that had a good "pull" and fit perfectly. The engine would idle down with no problems!

After the spring was in place, I started testing how long I needed to run the pump to have the car start easily. I first tried running the pump for 10sec and start. Next day, try running for 8sec. A couple of days later, run for 5 sec. A few more days go by, I hop in the car to pull it out of the garage, turned the key and after a couple of seconds of cranking, it started right up! Huh?!!? Yes, it started right up without running the pump! Before installing the pump, and after a day or two sitting, I ALWAYS had to start the car by giving it a shot of starting fluid spray (or crank the heck out of it)... This time, after 3 days of sitting, it started after a few seconds of cranking! Since then, I can reach into the car and start it without touching the gas pedal OR the button for the fuel pump!

The spring I used is a 4 5/8" x 1/2" spring (see below).

Could it be that using a stronger spring keeps the fuel port closed (tightly) in the carb so that no fuel can either evaporate or drain from the bowls?

PA110003_Small.JPG
vindicator
Frequent Contributor

Post by vindicator »

I think we are lucky these beautiful cars we have run at all with the current gases. When my 79 sits for several days I just give it a shot of carb cleaner( no big deal) and fire it up. Runs great. Two so called carb experts have looked at my engine and carb and tell me choke, accel pump etc and etc all functioning correctly. So, who knows? I don t care. A few squirts and I am on the road smiling. Works for me
79 mark v collector series
88 signature series
97 town car triple black
Indetrucks
Frequent Contributor

Post by Indetrucks »

I was just about to start a new thread about my 64 and its hard starting.

If the car is warm, starts fine.
If the cars sits for 24 hrs, starts fine with a couple pumps of the pedal.

If the car sits for 1 week + I have to crank crank crank crank and press the pedal numerous times and then it finally starts.
If it sits for more than 2 weeks, I have to remove the air cleaner and squirt a wee bit of start fluid in the carb, then it starts right up.

Had the fuel pump rebuilt buy a gentlemen who used to post on here a few years back and it still "looks" good.
The return spring appears fine as the car idles fantastically off cold start (and choke is open).

What else should I check?
~Christian
navguy12
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by navguy12 »

I went through the same issues a few years ago. Here was my solution (it's a bit of a long thread, but problem was solved): http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... =1&t=34628
Mike Stortini
1985 Cartier Town Car Sold 10 Nov 2013
1977 Lincoln Continental Sold 27 April 2012
Batawa Ontario
Indetrucks
Frequent Contributor

Post by Indetrucks »

navguy12 wrote:I went through the same issues a few years ago. Here was my solution (it's a bit of a long thread, but problem was solved): http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... =1&t=34628
Thank you
That's a 14 page thread.
Can you tell me what page the "fix" is on?
~Christian