Fuel Draining Back? NO!

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

big vern

Re: Fuel Draining Back? NO!

Post by big vern »

thanks for the advice Mr Zero
being a man of many hands, is it possible to repair the pump myself. i have access to a machine shop etc. I’m not trying to knock Mikes work, just save a little time and hopefully money. I’ve not even opened the bonnet on this as yet but i thought id ask first as past experience pushes me that way..
Outside that, ive got a good electric pump with regulator so its not a problem converting it over and i don’t mind not being to pure on the cars spec if it makes it easier for myself and the car.
Mike-Casella
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Mike-Casella »

You can rebuild it yourself if you want. We have the rebuilding kits for them on the shelf. The cost is $47.50 plus S&H. Just call the store at 781-335-8860 and ask for Shaun. Let him know you are looking for a kit number CK-127. If you run into any problems at all, just drop me an email.

Mike
big vern

Post by big vern »

Hi Mike
That sounds like a plan. What is the issue with the arm causing not enough lift etc. is there a new one in the rebuild kit.
I’m in Perth Australia, so how would i go about ordering one from yourselves and or sending details to make sure we are talking about the same pump etc.
many thanks for your help btw
Mike-Casella
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Mike-Casella »

It's more to do with the push rod rather than the arm itself. A new push rod does not come with the kit, and unfortunately we do not carry them. The best way to confirm that you have the pump everyone is talking about is to post a picture of it. If that's not possible, I'm sure I have some pictures that can be matched up with what you have. We accept PayPal, or you could fax your information to us. At the very least, a phone call would have to be made.

Mike
big vern

Post by big vern »

Thanks mike, ill get a pic on here in the next day or so
cheers
big vern

Post by big vern »

file:///home/verne/Pictures/20151026_212025.jpg
file:///home/verne/Pictures/20151026_212047.jpg
hopefully this works mike
cheers
Mike-Casella
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Mike-Casella »

Unfortunately I can't view them.
big vern

Post by big vern »

yes just looking into that
big vern

Post by big vern »

ill try and fax you from work tomorrow as there a clever people there with puters and stuff
Cheers mike
Mike-Casella
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Mike-Casella »

Our fax number is 781-335-1925. You may know what numbers go in front of that for International calling.
big vern

Post by big vern »

Still no luck posting
dont seem to have the up load button??
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Read this page, big vern. You need to ATTACH your pictures, and, as long as they are not too big (like straight off your smart phone), they will show.

You cannot just post links to the pics that are on your hard drive. We don't have access to your hard drive.
whitealmond

Post by whitealmond »

I am currently converting my 1960 to a 1961 3 port fuel pump with a heat shield for all the reasons that everyone has been writing about.
Last year my 60 vapor-locked to many times.
When I pulled the cover off of the fuel pump,(on the side of the road) and noticed that the fuel was Boiling in the pump, I knew at that time I needed to fix this.
Another note on "modern fuel", It tastes absolutely horrible when you siphon it out of the tank to prime the carb!!
I have been a Mechanic over 50 years now so doing this job does not intimidate me, However I have Never had any car with a vapor lock problem like these do.
I sourced a pump With a shield from John at "The Lincoln Farm" as he has been the most helpful person I've dealt with in regards to These old boats.
My question's are as follows.,
Does the three port with shield cure the problem?
What's a good insulation to use that still looks good?
What color is the heat shield supposed to be?
I know the color part sounds trivial to some, but I like to keep my cars in the truest factory form.
( and yes I know, the 1960 Lincoln did NOT have a 3 port)
Thank you for any and all help.
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

The 3 port and shield was never 100% reliable for me. I'm sure there are others who are happy with theirs, perhaps in less demanding situations, but until recently we used ours mainly as a vacation car, and believe me...you drive 70 mph for four hours in 90+ weather, and then stop for lunch, you'd darn well better remember to open the hood, and maybe bring back some ice water and a rag to soak the pump and lines, or you aren't going to get any farther than whatever fuel is left in the bowl will take you. If time spent dicking around in parking lots and the side of the road with vapor lock count as education credits, then I'm the world's foremost expert in MEL fuel delivery.

The root cause of it all really is the high, poorly engineered placement of the pump. It has to create a vacuum to lift the gas, and that fact alone makes it more likely to flash liquid gas to vapor. And those lines run right along the [hot] radiator. Ford knew they had a problem in '58 (I had one) and the heat shield and vapor return line in 61 was just a bandaid. It may have been "good enough" with the non-ethanol, low vapor pressure gas of 1961. But definitely not today.

My current configuration is an electric by the tank, an insulated filter in the driver fender well, insulated line from the fender well to a 3 port Holley bypass regulator (also wrapped in insulation) right at the carb inlet, and then the return line back to the tank. The vast majority of the gas volume gets pumped back to the tank, and that keeps things nice and cool, and the pump back by the tank is always able to pump cool fuel under pressure through the return loop, no matter how bad the hot soak conditions are. The regulated fuel pressure only has to travel maybe an inch or two to the carb, but that is insulated as well.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

Lee, your a pretty smart guy, most everyone dead heads an electric fuel pump. I have always ran that bypass regulator simply because I believe it drastically increases the life of an electric pump on the street since its never straining. Also when your racing you don't get a drop in fuel pressure at the hit of the throttle or when a nitrous kit comes on.
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000