Are new oils ruining our cars? Must Read!

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

herrstrand

Re: Are new oils ruining our cars? Must Read!

Post by herrstrand »

Thanks for an interesting thread!

Found on page 69 of the '78 Mark V owners manual that the minimum amount of ZDDP needed for engine oil is only 0.10 weight percent. This must have been an issue since the day the car was new. Ford even had their own oil conditioner back then with part number D2AZ-19579-A.

Strand
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

.10 percent by weight is 1000 ppm. This is consistent with SJ and SL oil of 1100ppm posted earlier in this thread.
SJ SL API oil rating zinc = 0.110%, 1100ppm phosphorous = 0.100%, 1000ppm
ReijerLincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by ReijerLincoln »

This sounds promising:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3ir3bg0ESU[/youtube]
1964 Lincoln Continental sedan

http://bigfancycar.blogspot.nl/
GoFerrari28
Occasional Visitor

Post by GoFerrari28 »

ReijerLincoln wrote:My friend Peter used a bottle of ZDDplus I gave him on the 430 in his ´63. It has had a new timing set but otherwise an untouched motor. He noticed it ran better/smoother and burnt a let less oil than before. I noticed it ran better a soon as he pulled up, not knowing he used the ZDDPlus.
Perhaps it's psychological in some way, but I added ZDDP to my mom's '78 Mark V, and honest to God I think the engine runs more smoothly and quietly than before. Just to make sure I took some video of the engine running before and after I added the ZDDP, and after listening to them, I really do think it's running more smoothly.
My Mom's 1978 Lincoln Continental Mark V Diamond Jubilee Edition
2000 Rolls Royce Silver Seraph, 1967 Camaro RS ZL1 427, 1967 Camaro RS 327 L30 4 speed
1955 Bel Air 4-door, 1969 Camaro convertible Indy 500 Pace Car, matching numbers 396/4 speed, 1971 Camaro

Relax. My dad's a TV repairman, got an ultimate set of tools. I can fix it
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

It is an anti-wear additive so friction levels may have been reduced.
Creamy7Nine
Occasional Visitor

Post by Creamy7Nine »

Filling my '79's 400 with Delo 400 regular today, and a second gallon waiting for next change. Thanks for all the advice and explanations in this thread.
1979 Mark V - Gold/Cream Luxury Group - California car
GoFerrari28
Occasional Visitor

Post by GoFerrari28 »

Dan Szwarc wrote:It is an anti-wear additive so friction levels may have been reduced.
That I understand but I didn't think there would be such an appreciable reduction in engine noise.
My Mom's 1978 Lincoln Continental Mark V Diamond Jubilee Edition
2000 Rolls Royce Silver Seraph, 1967 Camaro RS ZL1 427, 1967 Camaro RS 327 L30 4 speed
1955 Bel Air 4-door, 1969 Camaro convertible Indy 500 Pace Car, matching numbers 396/4 speed, 1971 Camaro

Relax. My dad's a TV repairman, got an ultimate set of tools. I can fix it
1979 Mark V
Occasional Visitor

Post by 1979 Mark V »

I have a 79 Mark V with the 400.

Has 75,000 original miles.

Have always used Pennzoil - and since the general use of this car is in Southern California with occasional desert runs - like Phoenix - or Las Vegas - I use 20W-50 -

In the "winter" I use 10W30.

Like a watch, this car has always consumed 1 quart per 1,000 miles driven. And gets 12.5 MPG.

After reading all about the ZDDP additives, etc., I changed oil and used Valvoline "Racing Oil" - 20W-50.

"High zinc formula also protects push-rod engines and flat tappet engines."

Took car from Long Beach, CA to Phoenix, AZ and back - just at 1,000 miles. Car did not use one drop of oil - and MPG averaged 14.2.

Not too sure of warning on back of bottle that says "Not recommended for extended use in vehicles equipped with catalytic converters."
1979 Mark V
navguy12
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by navguy12 »

Not too sure of warning on back of bottle that says "Not recommended for extended use in vehicles equipped with catalytic converters."
The whole reason the zinc (et al) has been reduced in modern oils is because of the requirement to extend the life expectancy of the modern catalytic converters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_dithiophosphate
According to the EPA and automakers, ZDDP deposits can damage catalytic converters in new cars, reducing their effectiveness as pollution control devices. The zinc bonds to the metal catalyst beads inside the converter, which undermines their purpose. For motor vehicles with catalytic converters (1975-up), it can mean increasing pollution levels from contaminated catalytic converters.

Read more: http://www.mustangandfords.com/parts/mu ... z2xjJ95PQT
I guess the logical question is : how have the results for smog tests been for folks who use the additive over the past few years.

They can provide some data points that could describe any deleterious effect on ones car to pass a smog test, especially as the years go by.
Mike Stortini
1985 Cartier Town Car Sold 10 Nov 2013
1977 Lincoln Continental Sold 27 April 2012
Batawa Ontario
LaZalleTT
Occasional Visitor

Post by LaZalleTT »

Well, I`ve bit the bullet. I`m going to use my `67 Lincoln as a guinea pig for the Walmart Accel oïl. I was using the Joe Gibbs HR-2 oïl previously. Ideally, I should take a sample and send it to a lab. to confirm the data sheets that are out there. I`ve been doing alot of homework on this Accel oïl, and I can honestly say it is a very hot topic on many forums. This oïl turns up on studebaker, corvette, porsche, chevelle forums just to name a few. Everyone is scared to try it because it is on the shelf of walmart. I can understand that, alot of owners have big bucks invested in their engines, but I am sure if Wal-Mart would of teamed up with a big name, this stuff would be flying off the shelves, or is it already ......

I was in Lake George this past week-end for the Adirondack Nationals, and walked in to the local Wal-Mart to pick up some of this oïl, since I live in Canada, the Accel oïl is not readily available on the shelves nor are manufactures parts such as Motorcraft, a-c delco, or Mopar available on the shelves either :smt011 To my surprise, the shelves were empty of the Accel oïl !! I asked someone on the floor if they had any of the Accel oïl in the back, and was laughed at ! Apparently, I was not the only one looking for this oïl. I was able finally to get my hands on some of this oïl and Motorcraft oïl filters at $3.97 each ! God bless Wally World !

With this said, I came back home from Lake George, replaced my oïl in the Lincoln and went for a drive. Did not notice anything different, I guess only time will tell. The engine in my Lincoln is original, with all of the updates completed, such as timing chain, oïl pump rod, etc... So, if the oïl is a success, great, if she blows, thats ok too, I`m a mechanic, and the winter months are long in Canada ! My wife says I`m looking for an excuse to pull the engine out !! :smt003

I`ll Keep you posted ...
Dave
Attachments
02007hr2.jpg
02007hr2.jpg (29.82 KiB) Viewed 3001 times
navguy12
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by navguy12 »

My wife says I`m looking for an excuse to pull the engine out !!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mike Stortini
1985 Cartier Town Car Sold 10 Nov 2013
1977 Lincoln Continental Sold 27 April 2012
Batawa Ontario
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

Dave keep us posted. if the stuff is that good maybe I will start and export business to Canada for you guys !!! :banana-angel: :banana-blonde: :banana-dance: :banana-dreads: :banana-tux: :banana-wrench: :banana-linedance:
Rob
1966 Lincoln Convertible (White/Black)
1957 Chevy Bel Air Resto-Mod (Anthricite/Black)
2009 Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi (Hemi Orange Pearl/Black)
2012 Expedition EL (White Titanium Tricoat/Charcoal)
mr.niftie
Frequent Contributor

Post by mr.niftie »

I for one am not looking forward to pulling the engine for another rebuild.
Bottom line of the thread seems to be ADDITIVE!
Failing that, has anyone in Ontario Canada found a good "Accel" type oil anywhere???
1973 Lincoln Mark IV Silver Edition, full load
2014 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid RIP
"They even have the Internet for computers now."
Homer Simpson
mr.niftie
Frequent Contributor

Post by mr.niftie »

Update:
I've searched all the major sources near me and the closest SL oil I could find was a fully synthetic 10W-50. I think is was Castrol and probably for motorcycles even though it was classed SL.
I think I've settled on this STP product, reasonably priced at $5.77 at a local Wally mart.:
http://www.stp.com/products/oil-additiv ... treatment/
1973 Lincoln Mark IV Silver Edition, full load
2014 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid RIP
"They even have the Internet for computers now."
Homer Simpson