timing set replacement questions

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Nick Ricci
Dedicated Enthusiast

timing set replacement questions

Post by Nick Ricci »

ok im pulling my oil pan right now to do a few things and I don't know what I was thinking when the shop manual said TDC I checked TDC on the drivers side front cylinder, I don't know why but thought I had it in the right spot went about taking the pan off and it hit me.......WRONG SIDE STUPID.........so right now the pan is unbolted but cant come off because the crank is in the wrong place...................do I have to rebolt the pan on and fill it with oil again?? or is there some other way of going about fixing my really stupid mistake. Can I put a few bolts in the pan to hold it in place and still bump it over to the right spot??

Any help would be great because right now my car is in the air my pan is hanging and i feel pretty stupid right about now
Last edited by Nick Ricci on Wed May 17, 2006 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2002 Jeep Wrangler
1965 Lincoln Continental
1956 Chris-Craft Sportsman 17' 287 AMC v8
W. Higgins
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by W. Higgins »

Yeah, you've got it. Just put a few bolts in the pan and bump it over. No worries. If you can get a long handled ratchet or breaker bar on the harmonic balancer bolt you can turn it by hand, too, if it makes you feel better.
Lugnut

Post by Lugnut »

It's not as bad as you think. Simply remove all of the spark plugs and then with a socket large enough for the crankshaft pulley bolt simply manually rotate the crankshaft. There will be resistance due to the valve springs but with a long enough cheater bar you should be able to get the crankshaft in the proper position to finish removing the oil pan.

Good luck!
Nick Ricci
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Nick Ricci »

thanks guys... hopefully I can finally get this project done
2002 Jeep Wrangler
1965 Lincoln Continental
Nick Ricci
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Nick Ricci »

how many bolts hold the water pump on.....im only seeing 4 but the pump is not wanting to come off so i thought i would check with you guys to see if im missing something
2002 Jeep Wrangler
1965 Lincoln Continental
W. Higgins
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by W. Higgins »

There is a short 7/8 in. heater hose going out of the back of the pump to the intake. Have you disconnected / cut that?
Lugnut

Post by Lugnut »

No telling what kind of gasket cement was used when that pump was installed. It has a hold on that pump like you won't believe. After you cut the by-pass hose as Walter suggested you may need to take a breaker bar to pry it loose.
Nick Ricci
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Nick Ricci »

thanks guys I thought I would just ask because I cleaned up for the day anyway ill be pulling on it tomorrow
2002 Jeep Wrangler
1965 Lincoln Continental
Nick Ricci
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Nick Ricci »

ok.....I finally got to work on my car some more and I hit a road block rather quickly..........how do you get the bolt holding the harmonic balancer on, off when I try to loosen it the crank spins, how do I put enough force on the bolt to break it loose without the crank spinning??

the quicker I can get some advise the better

thanks guys, nick
2002 Jeep Wrangler
1965 Lincoln Continental
W. Higgins
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by W. Higgins »

Don't know how much you have disassembled and how much room you have to work, but the easiest option is an impact gun. If you have to use hand tools and you have the pan off, you can wedge a scrap of wood between the crankshaft and block to prevent it from turning, but do so carefully to make sure you're not against anything critical.
bams50
Lincoln Maniac

Post by bams50 »

I use a piece of wood wedged between the flywheel teeth and the bellhousing.
Robert K. Andrews, Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
65 LCC- Red
http://www.suicidelincolns.com/65-red-vert-2/index.html
Nick Ricci
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Nick Ricci »

ok so I got the harmonic balancer off and the next steps in the shop manual ......remove the crankshaft damper woodruff key from crankshaft and remove the power steering pump. Ok i vaguely know what a woodruff key is but can someone explain it to me alittle more and how to go about doing this??

thanks
2002 Jeep Wrangler
1965 Lincoln Continental
W. Higgins
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by W. Higgins »

There should be a rectangular object slightly protruding from the crankshaft where you removed the harmonic balancer. The keyway that runs the length inside the bore of the balancer went over that protrusion. It is that protrusion which you need to remove.

Draw a circle. Now, draw two equally spaced parallel lines through that circle to divide it into thirds. Erase the center section. You have now drawn two Woodruff keys. Either use an old bunged-up screwdriver to pry it out, or tap it on its corner with a brass punch and you'll see it begin to roll out.
Nick Ricci
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Nick Ricci »

ill have to go get some brass punches tomorrow
2002 Jeep Wrangler
1965 Lincoln Continental
Nick Ricci
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Nick Ricci »

OK so for an update......the following things are off, oil pan, fuel pump, power steering reservoir, water pump, fan. Im still trying to get the power steering pump off (I don't really get the woodruff key thing.... YET) but the one thing I have learned in this whole thing is MY CAR IS A SLUDGE PIT! everything is coated in 2 inchs thick of 40 years of oil dirt crap.....so im taking everything off I can so I can clean it. And im just hoping I didn't bite off more than I can chew.
2002 Jeep Wrangler
1965 Lincoln Continental