67 Relays - the definitive guide

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

tsa
Lincoln Maniac

67 Relays - the definitive guide

Post by tsa »

Well after pulling the dash, tracing wires, reading wiring diagrams, confirming operation I have now worked out what all the relays on the left inner fender are for, and how the turn signals work. I have also read many posts here on the mysterious two wire black connector relay in the same relay bank that everything thinks is a turn signal relay - this is not true, it has nothing to do with the turn signal.

So here is my guide, it is for a sedan as I dont have a conv but includes conv relays from my research

Turn Signal Operation
Flasher Unit - this is located above the glove compartment and controls the flashing of the lights for both turn signal and emergency
1st Turn Signal Relay - this is located above the glove compartment and basically just energizers the turn signal system when the key is on.
2nd Turn Signal Relay - located in the fender relay bank. This is the three wire relay with black connector. This looks provides power and also energizers the indicator lights in the dash

Relay Bank on left inner fender
Three Wire Black Connector - turn signal relay as above
Blue Connector - low fuel warning relay
Yellow Connector - Interior Lamp relay
Red Connector - Seat Belt warning relay
Red Connector - Window Safety relay
Greent Connector - Top Control relay (conv only)
Two Wire Black Connector - this is the one that is not in any wiring diagrams. This is the Brake Warning Light relay. It has a red/blue thick wire and a thin brown wire. The red/blue wire goes to the ignition switch to energize the relay when the key is on. The brown wire goes into the black connector, on the other side it is a green wire and a brown wire. The brown goes to the brake light switch in the valve below the relay bank. The green wire goes behind the dash into a white connector and turns into a purple/white wire which goes to the brake light on the right side of the dash.

The four wire black connector is not used on the 67 as this is a relic from the 66 for the brake lights (rear lights not dash) relay. If a 66 owner could confirm that would be great.

I will continue to update this post with wire colours, more relays as I sort them out but I hope this answers once and for all the mysterious relay. All I have to do is connect everything up and test this relay as the brake light is on in my dash and if I disconnect the relay it should go out - this will confirm 100%
67cab-dk
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 67cab-dk »

you will need this pic to your guide
and thanks it is a nice to have a guide to search in
>>THOMAS<<
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2260951
1967 Lincoln Continental convertible
tsa
Lincoln Maniac

Post by tsa »

Thanks 67cab-dk. I have those diagrams too and thats what confused me and most others I think. The 67 only shows 5 relays on the fender when there are definitely 6. The 66 show the stop lamp relay but this is a different relay I believe.
Do the 66's have the brake warning light?
jsanford
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by jsanford »

tsa wrote: Do the 66's have the brake warning light?
No. The "Brakes" warning lamp is part of the dual-circuit brake system that was new for '67.

Jeremy
LCOC Western Region Webmaster & Northern CA Activities Coordinator.
tsa
Lincoln Maniac

Post by tsa »

Thanks, that confirms what I thought. So they change the one relay for another but forgot to put it in any documentation. Well poo on them as it cause me no end of grief tracing that one.
I hope this info helps people as if the relay goes bad I am sure the light will not shine and this could be a safety issue.
newcruzr

Re: 67 Relays - the definitive guide

Post by newcruzr »

Do any of you know about (or have used) modern replacements for these relays? If so, what part numbers did you use?
'67 Continental
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

The 66 (and 67) brake lamp relay (or stop relay) is mounted on a rubber block up on the side inner fender. They moved it there because of complants of noise. Although there is room for 8 relays under the box, I have never seen more than 7.

Isn't Comic Life a great app? I can't believe they make a windows version now, too.

I would like to see connector colors and wire colors.
AnthLinc
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by AnthLinc »

A short while back there was discussion about bypassing a turnsignel relay to correct the 66-67 dash indicator lights. In regards to that post no one made reference to the specific relay or wires that were bypassed. Does anyone know?
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3806837

[ 1966 Lincoln Conv't ]
[ 1966 Lincoln Conv't Parts Car ]
[ 1972 Lincoln Limo ]
tsa
Lincoln Maniac

Post by tsa »

Ill have a look into this in the near future as I will be fixing mine. They will work for two or three flashes and then stop.
Linc68
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Linc68 »

Thank you! :smt023
Norm
1968 Lincoln Continental
How hard can it be??
http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... 38&t=23376
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Dan provided info on bypassing the old T/S circuits. I still have to try it myself; it would be nice to get my dash indicators working like they should.

I can confirm the '66 relay's connector. It is black with four wires (oddly, the diagram shows it with only three wires). But not all '67s had brake-light relays--at least, the ones with fixed columns didn't. The diagram for that year doesn't show one. I think they used that only on cars equipped with the tilt wheel in that year.

One thing's for sure: If anyone ever decides to install an aftermarket cruise control in a Suicide (every Lincoln should have one, either factory or aftermarket), use the brake-light relay (if you have one) to attach the purple wire of the system. I learned the hard way that attaching it directly to the brake switch, as the instructions suggest, it will leave the system in perpetual disengagement.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
67cab-dk
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 67cab-dk »

TonyC wrote: not all '67s had brake-light relays--at least, the ones with fixed columns didn't. The diagram for that year doesn't show one. I think they used that only on cars equipped with the tilt wheel in that year.
---Tony
it is not correct
cars built before 10-10-66 have the stoplightrelay
cars built from to 10-10-66 to 1-3-67 have a stop lamp switch jumper.

DSz:Photobucket links kicked the bucket. Old links below. Thumbnails grabbed and saved.

Code: Select all

[img]http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff138/hdsmeden/IMG_3242.jpg[/img]
[url=http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/ff138/hdsmeden/?action=view&current=IMG_3239.jpg][img]http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff138/hdsmeden/th_IMG_3239.jpg[/img][/url]
Attachments
IMG_3242.jpg
IMG_3242.jpg (19.67 KiB) Viewed 384 times
IMG_3239.jpg
IMG_3239.jpg (9.34 KiB) Viewed 384 times
>>THOMAS<<
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Okay, thanks for that historical clarification. Maybe that explains why my '67 shop manual makes no mention of it: It was printed after that transition date. Well, I was partially right, just not for the same reason. :D
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
67cab-dk
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 67cab-dk »

TonyC wrote:Okay, thanks for that historical clarification. Maybe that explains why my '67 shop manual makes no mention of it: It was printed after that transition date. Well, I was partially right, just not for the same reason. :D
you're welcome it was so little :smt006
>>THOMAS<<
NickG
Lincoln Maniac

Post by NickG »

I created this wiring chart a few years ago to help diagnose all the wiring for the relay bank in the engine compartment. I thought it might help someone with that tangled mess! If you see anything that needs to be corrected let me know. Nick

Code: Select all

[img]http://www.waikikiview.com/images/lincoln/67lincplugs.jpg[/img]
(link dead).
Last edited by NickG on Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1967 Continental Convertible

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”