CAR FOR WIFE

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Zacks Maximus
Occasional Visitor

CAR FOR WIFE

Post by Zacks Maximus »

My wife and me recently had a new baby. She has an older Chrysler town and country van that we want to replace. Both of us like older cars that have some charm to them. I have been looking around and there are quite a few Lincolns around Arizona that were from retired people. So i been reading about engines in these cars and it seems like you guys like the 460 and 462 engines better than the 400 engines. But it seems like after about 1978 the stopped using the 460s and most had 400s. What’s the deal with the difference that makes the 400 less good?

Lee
1965 Continental Town Car Sedan
onedollarbob
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: CAR FOR WIFE

Post by onedollarbob »

I wouldn't mind if somebody would educate me, too. The 400 is not the best design, but it runs fine and gets out of its own way on a heavy Lincoln. Pinging, valve stem seals, and mediocre 2150 carb are the only issues, but there are way worse motors than the 400. The 460 was never designed for smog equipment, so the mid '70s+ 460 is not that special when compared to a 400. The big advantage with a 460 is availability of parts (it was made for 30 years) and modification/aftermarket stuff.
1979 Mark V Collector's Series -- Sold
1983 Mark VI Signature Series coupe -- R.I.P.
1989 Mark VII LSC

"After the final No there comes a Yes / And on that Yes the future of the world hangs." --Wallace Stevens
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

I have my sights set on a 64 LCC so that leaves only the 430 for me 8-) but its been a long time looking and I have not been able to find a good enough one that I can afford.

Lately I have been looking at Mark IVs and Vs and the whole issue of engine has kept my focus on the earlier cars. That said, right now I am drooling over a 79 Givenchy which of course is smogged and has the 400.

My concern has never been whether the 400 can move the car around for me because I don't have a heavy foot or need for speed or towing. I think it proved itself as a worthy motor for a good run back in the 70s-80s. I think, as was already mentioned, the availability of parts and the knowledge of mechanics about the 460 has given the 460 the advantage you see in the posts on the Forum.

I guess I will just coast for awhile and see what I find. I am sure I can find an excellent Mark or Town Coupe from the 70s for way less than I was going to have to pay for an excellent 64 LCC.

As far as a car for your wife goes, if it's going to be her daily driver, be aware none these big cars, regardless of the motor they have, are going to be economical to operate. You also mentioned that you have a new baby. Don't be sucked into the idea that all that steel surrounds the passengers with a safer environment on the road. Newer cars, even small ones, have crush zones, air bags, and a lot of other safety features that are lacking in these luxury barges from the past. I would venture to say that even the minivan you have now is probably safer for your family than anything out there powered by either a 400 or a 460. Just sayin.
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
bigltc
Occasional Visitor

Post by bigltc »

The neighbor bought a Prius for his wife to drive. Well. The wife hates it and prefers to drive her CRV with 200k miles. Neighbor now cruises to work in the Prius while his beloved big Dodge sits idle.

Make sure your wife is on board, no matter what you get. (hopefully a Lincoln)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

The 400 is fine. People shit on it and they've never owned one. It's biggest flaw is a lack of real power, however it is completely adequate to move a Lincoln. The 460 is only marginally better from the factory, but definitely has more potential.

I think you're not thinking wisely by buying an old Lincoln for a daily driver. You will be spending unnecessarily for gas and have a car that needs constant maintenance. Buy something newer with airbags to protect you and your baby. Don't listen to the old fools who say that 40 year-old cars are safer than modern cars. It's all a big lie backed by people who have never been in a real accident in an old car. Fender benders aren't the problem. It's the crashes where the big cars will injure the occupants.

CAPS fixed.
continentalguy
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by continentalguy »

I agree with everyone else here, I wouldn't touch an old car as a daily driver - especially with a baby in the family. These old cars are just big metal death traps and totally unsafe for a young one. Go out and buy yourself something with a good safety rating and enjoy, forget the old car idea (unless you are wanting a hobby car). The IIHS always provides a good list for top safety picks:

Top Safety Picks 2014 - IIHS

Small cars

Honda Civic 4-door
Mazda 3
built after October 2013
Toyota Prius
built after November 2013

Midsize moderately priced cars

Ford Fusion
Honda Accord 2-door
Honda Accord 4-door
Mazda 6
Subaru Legacy
Subaru Outback

Midsize luxury/near-luxury cars

Infiniti Q50
Lincoln MKZ
Volvo S60

Large luxury cars

Acura RLX
Volvo S80

Small SUVs

Mazda CX-5
built after October 2013
Mitsubishi Outlander
Subaru Forester

Midsize SUV

Toyota Highlander

Midsize luxury SUVs

Acura MDX
Mercedes-Benz M-Class
built after August 2013
Volvo XC60

Minivan

Honda Odyssey
Except for the Volvo S60, S80 and XC60 and the hybrid version of the Honda Civic 4-door, vehicles listed under TOP SAFETY PICK+ qualify for that award only when equipped with optional front crash prevention. Front crash prevention isn't available on nonhybrid versions of the Civic.

Minicar

Chevrolet Spark

Small cars

Dodge Dart
Ford Focus
Honda Civic 2-door
Hyundai Elantra
Scion tC
Subaru Impreza
Subaru XV Crosstrek

Midsize moderately priced cars

Chrysler 200 4-door
Dodge Avenger
Kia Optima
Nissan Altima
Toyota Camry
built after December 2013
Volkswagen Passat

Midsize luxury/near-luxury car

Acura TL

Small SUV

Mitsubushi Outlander Sport

Midsize luxury SUV

Volvo XC90
-Allan

'54 Lincoln Capri Sport Coupe, '56 Continental Mark II, '61 Lincoln Continental Convertible,
'62 Lincoln Continental Sedan, '70 Lincoln Mark III, '72 Lincoln Mark IV, '17 Lincoln MKC
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

Dan Szwarc wrote:Don't listen to the old fools who say that 40 year-old cars are safer than modern cars. It's all a big lie
:smt023 Anecdotal evidence is just that!

Except, I don't think they're lying, they just don't know any better.
'56 Mark II convertible, '51 Royal Spartanette, '56 Chris Craft Continental
'68 Lincoln Continental Limo, '77 Town Car, '55 356 Porsche Continental cabrio,
'69 Mark III convertible,'88 BMW 750iL, '88 BMW 325iX, '97 BMW Z-3, '98 ML-320

My newest car is 15 years old!
Sheradan
Occasional Visitor

Post by Sheradan »

We bought a new Lincoln LS V8 Premium Sport in 2003. After 220,000 miles the wife still loves it and wants no other. It's been a great car.
Daniel Brown
Ferndale, CA
1960 Lincoln Continental Mark V Coupe
wixom61
Occasional Visitor

Post by wixom61 »

This beauty does pretty good, but no air bags mean seeing the lovely dashboard up close and personal. I doubt the results the newer offset tests would be pretty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uddZRY_WVw

David :smt001
wasagachris
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by wasagachris »

When I read the title of this thread the first thing that came to mind is that it sounded like a good trade. :smt003 Then I read it and realized exactly what you were asking about and can't really offer any advice.
1961 Lincoln Continental 4 Dr Sedan,
1973 Lincoln Continental Town Car 4 Dr,
1987 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series Stars & Stripes Edition
Zacks Maximus
Occasional Visitor

Post by Zacks Maximus »

Woh dude that was only 35 mph and the peeps in the front bit some serious dashboard and steering wheel. Janie is a trauma nurse so yeah she has seen some freaking serious shit from car crashes. I never realized so much forces from 35 mph but I didn't do too good in physics ha ha ha. So yeah probably going to end up with some boring car but safer for the little guy and us, Just wish you could get a new car that was halfass cool. To me they all look the same. Ever since the 2nd go around of the Tauruses I have thought almost every car looks pretty much like a turtle taurus.

Got me a new cordless keyboard today. Thanks everybody for letting me yell yesterday.
Zacks Maximus
Occasional Visitor

Post by Zacks Maximus »

wasagachris wrote:When I read the title of this thread the first thing that came to mind is that it sounded like a good trade. :smt003 Then I read it and realized exactly what you were asking about and can't really offer any advice.
Not for me. I got me a winner. She works, makes babies, loves cars and keeps me happy in every way :smt008 I wouldn't trade her in. She's barely broke in. :oops:
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Sounds like you got yourself a 50s wife. You lost me at the makes babies part.
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

ALincolnpoop wrote:She's barely broke in. :oops:
Classy.
'56 Mark II convertible, '51 Royal Spartanette, '56 Chris Craft Continental
'68 Lincoln Continental Limo, '77 Town Car, '55 356 Porsche Continental cabrio,
'69 Mark III convertible,'88 BMW 750iL, '88 BMW 325iX, '97 BMW Z-3, '98 ML-320

My newest car is 15 years old!
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

Barry Wolk wrote:
ALincolnpoop wrote:She's barely broke in. :oops:
Classy.
Bah you're just jealous. :naughty: You have the ultimate girlfriend with that pretty car Barry.
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair